UCI World Cup DH #1 - Maribor Results

atschool

Likes Bikes
mmm, it is great that Sam is going well, and fantastic that everyone is behind him, but I think the Jesus comment is a bit much.

wait until he has earned 10 world downhill championships in a row, then we can talk about a god like figure - and yes, I am referring to the alien - Nicolas Vouilloz.

Not taking anything away from Sam, but I would really like to see the two of them race the same track.
it already happened at the world cup at champrey in switzerland last year. sam killed it, nico didn`t do so well...

Last edited:

projectsplat

The film guy
happened at Champéry, Switzerland, June 9-10, 2007. Qualifing Sam smoked everyone by at least 14 seconds, Nico by 17 seconds. Ine the race run both sam and nico came sown in the pissing rain. Sam came 3rd only 2 seconds of the winner who came down in the dry. Nico crashed his way to a 63rd position over a minute off the pace. attached is sam after is run with a kilo or two of mud on his bike.

fair call, but Nico is also now retired from mountain biking and nearly 10 years older than Sam.

jgdj18

Likes Dirt
Out of curiosity, I know Sam can smash the opposition by huge margins when he is on it, but what are some of ther greater winning margins Nico had in his day?

atschool

Likes Bikes
So is peaty, and i wouldn't put anything on nicho not being fit as a fiddle either. He has spent a fair bit of time away from racing and thats really where the edge comes from.

true. and the tracks have become more difficult too. i don`t think nico would be able to hit the rock gardens and gaps as hard as the top dh riders these days. he certainly has/had the skill but maybe not the balls.

S.

ex offender
true. and the tracks have become more difficult too. i don`t think nico would be able to hit the rock gardens and gaps as hard as the top dh riders these days. he certainly has/had the skill but maybe not the balls.
Nico used to dominate on every kind of track, whether it was steep and techy or super pedally. 10 world championships in 11 years says something for how ridiculously dominant that guy was. You don't get that many consistent wins without plenty of balls - he was an absolute machine when it came to picking out the fastest way down the hill, whether that meant trying some insane gap line or being intelligently conservative.

It should be noted that he caught the guy in front of him in qualifying at Champery, it wasn't a fair representation of his skill level. I still don't think he would have come close to Hill's time though.

Edit: on second though, Hill caught and overtook Minnaar in qualifying too, so I guess fair is fair.

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nicho used to dominate on every kind of track, whether it was steep and techy or super pedally. 10 world championships in 11 years says something for how ridiculously dominant that guy was. You don't get that many consistent wins without plenty of balls - he was an absolute machine when it came to picking out the fastest way down the hill, whether that meant trying some insane gap line or being intelligently conservative.

It should be noted that he caught the guy in front of him in qualifying at Champery, it wasn't a fair representation of his skill level. I still don't think he would have come close to Hill's time though.

Edit: on second though, Hill caught and overtook Minnaar in qualifying too, so I guess fair is fair.
Yeah but a few of the fast guys qualified slowly on purpose dont forget. I think the only fair thing to come from that race is that Sam kicked ass on the day, you cant really make much more comparison than that.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Anyone second guessing nicho should go and have their head examined.

As S. stated he won 10 World Champs - and countless world cups - Hill has had 2 pretty impressive seasons, and right now he is probably faster than nicho. But we are talking about Nicho remember, the single most dominant force in DH, ever.

BTW, the tracks they rode in Nichos hey-day were farkin nuts. Grab transcontinental or the sprung DVD's, I wish some of the tracks were as good as they were back then.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Out of curiosity, I know Sam can smash the opposition by huge margins when he is on it, but what are some of ther greater winning margins Nico had in his day?
In '99 Nico won by 6 Seconds... I am trying to find the results for the rest now.

Jeez - I didn't think it would be so hard to find all the old details, but here we go

NICO

What is pretty clear with him is he peaked a little earlier than Sam. He won his first Junior Worlds at 16 years of age and won three of these in total - but was also started winning the French Elite title from the age of 17. He went on to win 5 straight World Championships and 6 straight World Cup Championships from 95 - 00. Details are hard to find on times, but from what I could find he was winning by some pretty big margins in the 97 - 99 period. I think he won the World Champs in 99 by just under 6 seconds (but this is from a news release). He came back after losing the 00 World Champs to win in 01 by 2.35 seconds. From 01 onwards he was battling with Steve Peat and others and you can see his winning margins really start to drop and he does not win as many World Cups in 01.

What he also has to his credit though is a much wider tally of wins than Sam. He was the French Dual Champion and won a series of Avalanche Cup titles between 1995 - 2001. He went back to this style of racing in 06 and 07 and has dominated. He is, quite simply a machine and perhaps the best rider ever across the whole sport of cycling (I can't think of another rider with as many titles across as many differing genres as Nico).

SAM

We all know his record - Two World Champs and a series of World Cup wins with some SERIOUS margins. He is now dominating the World Cup for a second year running after three years (04 - 06) showing signs of his ability. At 23 it would appear that he is peaking later than Nico, but earlier than Steve Peat (who was in his mid-to-late 20s), so we can probably expect Sam to be winning World Cups and World Champs for another +6 years at least. Nico went straight into dominating in the Elite, but Sam has taken a bit longer to get there, so maybe that will help him as Nico has said he lost a real passion for DH in about 2000.

Last edited:

jwin

Likes Bikes
"SAM
"SAM -We all know his record - Two World Champs and a series of World Cup wins with some SERIOUS margins. He is now dominating the World Cup for a second year running after three years (04 - 06) showing signs of his ability. At 23 it would appear that he is peaking later than Nico......"

Sam has FOUR rainbow jerseys to his name - two as junior, (bronze medal on his first world champs at 16 followed by 2 gold.) In Lugano he went OTB & still won juniors by something like 11 secs & his time would have had him in 3rd or 4th place of elite men. He has been on the podium at every world championship he's been in (7) - 4 of which have been gold !!

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Sam has FOUR rainbow jerseys to his name - two as junior, (bronze medal on his first world champs at 16 followed by 2 gold.) In Lugano he went OTB & still won juniors by something like 11 secs & his time would have had him in 3rd or 4th place of elite men. He has been on the podium at every world championship he's been in (7) - 4 of which have been gold !!
If we were to count podiums.... How many would peaty have by his name?

cj.

Likes Dirt
He is obviously fastest rider of our time now but how well would he compare to some of the old school riders like kenda??

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
"SAM
"SAM -We all know his record - Two World Champs and a series of World Cup wins with some SERIOUS margins. He is now dominating the World Cup for a second year running after three years (04 - 06) showing signs of his ability. At 23 it would appear that he is peaking later than Nico......"

Whoops - sorry - missed the two juniors (I meant to put it in... do-oh).

I read somewhere that Peaty over 40 World Cup podiums and I know he has 15 wins..

Last edited:

jwin

Likes Bikes
If we were to count podiums....
My comment on Sam's 7 podiums was related *just* to world championship races, not world cup races - Peaty has been around a long time & has an awesome record.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone know where i can watch the full thing again? it was great, i would love to watch it over and over and over .....