Ultegra Di2 - confirmed, first look

markyh990

Likes Dirt
cyclingexpress.com is doing a pre order of a ultegra di2 equipped bike
priced quiet aggressivly from memory

akashra

Eats Squid
Gotta admit, a week ago if you had told me about this I'd have been all "omg gimme gimme!"... but then a day later I got a chance to take a DuraAce Di2 equipped bike for my 90ish-minute normal mid-week bunch ride (which has a roads, hills, fire trails, steep hills that practically pitch up to cliffs... a bit of everything). I gotta say, despite all the high praise I've heard about it, not a fan having now used it myself.

Maybe for a TT bike, but on a regular road bike I think I'd stick with Ultegra/Dura-Ace. It was mainly the lack of feedback and finding the buttons that caused me the biggest problems.

Point I'm making: Make sure you go test-ride it before you splash out and purchase thinking it'll be awesome because it's the most expensive you can get. You just might be surprised (in a bad way).

wombat

Lives in a hole
Keen to see pricing, and what they do (if anything) to upgrade the current DA Di2.
Whilst this isn't exactly conclusive info, I've seen pricing for one brand that puts their Ultegra Di2 $2000 above their 6700 bike. Haven't seen spec, so there could also be variation in wheelset or finishing kit, but it's the same frameset.

HAKS

Likes Bikes
Pricing is rumoured to be about 10-15% less then Dura-ace mechanical. Therefore if you pick it up from the UK you'd be looking at about 1100-1200 pounds. The question is whether that includes the full groupset ie. cranks, brakes & BB or just the Di2 parts.

0psi

Eats Squid
not a fan having now used it myself.

Maybe for a TT bike, but on a regular road bike I think I'd stick with Ultegra/Dura-Ace. It was mainly the lack of feedback and finding the buttons that caused me the biggest problems.

Point I'm making: Make sure you go test-ride it before you splash out and purchase thinking it'll be awesome because it's the most expensive you can get. You just might be surprised (in a bad way).
Opposite for me, I thought it was all a bit gimickey till I actually rode a Di2 equipped bike and was blown away. Super quick shifting and I thought the automatic trimming of the front mech was pretty cool. I found it pretty intuitive and was feeling at home within 10 minutes or so. Each to their own I guess.

gregb

Likes Dirt
For me the big appeal of the Di2 would be on my Triathlon/Timetrial bikes; I can have shifters on both the aero extensions and the base bar.