Ultrabook, what should I buy?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys,

Looking to buy a new laptop in about a month. At the moment I like the look of the Samsung Series 5 and the Acer Aspire S3.

Upper limit of what I want to spend is $800, don't mind an ex-demo or whatever.

So yeah, what would you guys recommend other than the two I have already mentioned? I want a 13" screen, more than 200gb HDD, decent battery life, and it has to be thin and light and sexy. Something that that will run cod 4 on low settings as well would be great (dont really have a problem with the speed of my current POS but dont want to go any slower, thats for sure.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Computers, laptops, notebooks, tablets and mobile phones are not, cannot, and never will be 'sexy'. Once you have eliminated that criterion from your list, look at MLN computing. They have some fully sick laptops for about $800.00 + delivery.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Once you buy it, rip out the HDD and put a 128gb SSD in (can be had for ~$110). You will thank me.

Hew

Likes Dirt
For 800 you won't get much in the ultrabook department, due to them being the new 'thing' but also due to their orientation: Cramming high end gear into such a thin laptop brings problems which they haven't quite figured out yet, mainly cooling.

Have a look at MSY or PC Case Gear. They have pretty much the best prices for PC gear. Nearly all ultrabooks/laptops rock out with stock-standard CPU integrated graphics. This is enough to run HD videos and some very light gaming (CoD4 will probably run on low, not entirely sure what FPS you would get though). If you want to game on it you will have to pay a bit more and get a gaming orientated laptop. It will run quite hot during heavy gaming, mind you.

I'd go for an HP Envy of some kind, if I were you. You can get one for about $850 that has an aftermarket gaming card, which will do better then the standard integrated graphics, and they're one of my favourite looking ultrabooks.

Also, look up some video reviews of the models you're looking at. They may be a bit tedious, done by some autistic kid who goes into horridly in-depth detail, but they'll give you an idea of what they're like to live with. Very important with laptops.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I have a commadore 64 you can have for a hungee. Will even throw in the fully sick B&W RankArena I've been running it on. Runs Lesiure Suit Larry in high settings.

callum1

Likes Dirt
i debated on different brands for a long time, and settled on the ASUS UX31 with intel core I7, which fitted my needs. $1050 at the time
thing i like -solid state drive (ssd)...fucking brilliant
- the thinness/weight
- metal construction. although dick shrivellingely cold in the morning.
- it looks cool...which seems a bit shallow for a cpu which at the end of the day is there to do a job.
-loud speakers
-battery life (about 7hrs use on a full charge)

things i don't like, but didnt think about at the time - un-lit keyboard
- no disk drive, none of them do, but i bought an external usb disc drive at the same time

the one you buy is largely based on what you need it to do.
all i do is web browse, so i don't need much computer.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I loved how you could get up in the morning load a game into the tape drive, go to school, come home, go to a mates place, come home again, have dinner and then by bed time the game was ready to play.......... If there were no fucking load errors!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hey guys,

Looking to buy a new laptop in about a month. At the moment I like the look of the Samsung Series 5 and the Acer Aspire S3.

Upper limit of what I want to spend is $800, don't mind an ex-demo or whatever.

So yeah, what would you guys recommend other than the two I have already mentioned? I want a 13" screen, more than 200gb HDD, decent battery life, and it has to be thin and light and sexy. Something that that will run cod 4 on low settings as well would be great (dont really have a problem with the speed of my current POS but dont want to go any slower, thats for sure.
i debated on different brands for a long time, and settled on the ASUS UX31 with intel core I7, which fitted my needs. $1050 at the time
thing i like -solid state drive (ssd)...fucking brilliant
- the thinness/weight
- metal construction. although dick shrivellingely cold in the morning.
- it looks cool...which seems a bit shallow for a cpu which at the end of the day is there to do a job.
-loud speakers
-battery life (about 7hrs use on a full charge)

things i don't like, but didnt think about at the time - un-lit keyboard
- no disk drive, none of them do, but i bought an external usb disc drive at the same time

the one you buy is largely based on what you need it to do.
all i do is web browse, so i don't need much computer.
Back on topic, The ASUS is the "only" model out there that I would consider if you want an ultrabook. You'll be disapointed with anything else. As far as play COD, forget it, even with low settings. Jump up to an XPS or Alienware if gamining is important.

Shredden, I think the rule out of what's important to you is...pick any 2.