Underwater Cameras

0psi

Eats Squid
Yes I know there's a photo snob thread but I figure not everyone looks in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent prosumer level camera and underwater housing combo for under a grand?

I'm chasing something with a reasonable amount of control like a Canon G15 or Olympus ZX-2 and a housing that goes to 30m+.

Not interested in Go-Pros or the like before someone suggests that and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to a housing for my SLR that can take reasonable quality stills. Also not particularly interested in things like the Sealife underwater cameras as apparently the out of water performance is rubbish as is the aftermarket service should anything go wrong. Cheers.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yes I know there's a photo snob thread but I figure not everyone looks in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent prosumer level camera and underwater housing combo for under a grand?

I'm chasing something with a reasonable amount of control like a Canon G15 or Olympus ZX-2 and a housing that goes to 30m+.

Not interested in Go-Pros or the like before someone suggests that and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to a housing for my SLR that can take reasonable quality stills. Also not particularly interested in things like the Sealife underwater cameras as apparently the out of water performance is rubbish as is the aftermarket service should anything go wrong. Cheers.
While I can't comment on the underwater housing, the G12 is a brilliant P&S that has manual control. I know you can get the camera and housing for under $1k.
As for the G15, it's a little bigger etc but essentially the same camera. As for the Olympus, I'm not familiar with that model.
Hope this helps.

botch

Likes Bikes
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ-20 with a Panasonic underwater casing specific for that camera, so all functions remain. The camera cost me $450 ish and the housing $500 ish....not sure if it's a current model camera anymore or not though, but if you can find something like that, i reckon you're on a winner. I have used it plenty of times, not as deep as what you want, but the housing is rated to 40m.

This is the replacement.... TZ-30 and it's housing

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod8846.htm

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod8930.htm

heavyp

You heard it here first

Depending on what dslr you have you could look at Aqautech, SPL, CMT, Del Mar (Id steer clear of them good housing awful customer service and there in the US), or theres a guy called dave kelly who makes the best custom housings in the world based in newcastle ( there expensive but worth every penny)

Um if your after one for your g15 or something like that you can usually get housings made by the camera company.

check out second hand gear on surfphotographersunited.com also

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The canon G series used to be the pick of the bunch as the housings were a fraction of the cost of those for DSLR's. I haven't paid much attention in the last few years though so this may have changed. Having the ability to add filters to your housing would be a big plus too

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Canon G15 + WP DC48 housing will come in under a grand easy.

Ikelite and Recsea have also released housings but for depths of up to 40m, the Canon job does alright. (You'll break your budget with Ikelite and Recsea anyways...)

I nabbed a G15 a while back - it's no substitute for a DSLR but it has a fast little f/1.8 - f/2.8 zoom lens, is compact, robust and does a really good job on the whole I think. Excellent close-up mode too - better than the clunky G1X, that's for sure!

Outside of the housing, I'd suggest getting the Canon WS-20 wrist strap in place of the dicky neck strap. It's not a big camera and that silly neck strap makes one look like a tourist.

Very keen on getting the Canon housing for it soon though finding one that costs less than what I paid for the camera is the next challenge!

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've already got an SLR? I know you said no GoPro's, but I recently spent three months driving around Australia. My girlfriend took her SLR for the majority of our pictures. And used the go pro when we were doing outdoorsy things, swimming, surfing, bike riding, etc. Plus it's very small, so you can pop it in your pocket and not worry about it, but always have a camera for a quick picture. I really liked the set up, the go pro takes great stills.. but obviously not to the quality of a decent P&S.