Undies under knicks?

Whats the general consensus with this?

I've recently started increasing the distance of my rides - a usual training ride is now at least 30km offroad.

Before this I never had a problem with chaffing [shorter rides] - I have always worn undies under my knicks and then bike shorts over those

Now i'm getting some chaffing even when I use cream, and lots of chaffing at my recent first 100km event - was probably the most painful thing about the whole event . . . . . .

Do the undies have to go?

Cheers,

Exx

JP

Likes Dirt
No!!!!!!!!!!

(No as in no undies.)

YES, the undies have to go.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the entire point of knicks is to be the first layer to meet the skin, the chamois isn't for padding, so No to undies!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i've been using zinc baby nappy rash powder rather than creams for long rides especially in the SA summer when heat + sweat + chafe = nasties for a woman. cotton-only undies help but i do tend to have a raw behind after a good weekend's riding...:tape:

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Wearing underwear under Knicks defeats the purpose Knicks are designed to fulfil. They are not designed to provide padding but rather for hygiene comfort. Your butt needs miles in the saddle to decrease any sore butt syndrome you may get and with very long rides you may require chamois cream, though with higher end Knicks you really don't need it. Remember chamois cream was for older style leather chamois to help keep them soft and supple so they did not rip your butt to shreds.

No undies, no undies, no undies!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I asked myself the same question, but for different reasons.

You see, I have a massive scrotum. Yep, overshare. You can't unread what you just read either.
I reckon I could wrap a grapefruit like a chrissie pressie no probs.

Any way, riding with scrundies seemed a good solution to my problem of scrote-pinching between thigh and seat either side of the saddle as I rode.
I tried it once, caught my reflection in the mirror and saw those nice scrundie lines under my knicks.
Not a good look.

Just don't.

Last edited:

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
[QUOTE=harmonix1234;2654026]

You see, I have a massive scrotum. Yep, overshare. You can't unread what you just read either.

LOL thats hilarious

Last edited:

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I asked myself the same question, but for different reasons.

Any way, riding with scrundies seemed a good solution to my problem of scrote-pinching between thigh and seat either side of the saddle as I rode.
I tried it once, caught my reflection in the mirror and saw those nice scrundie lines under my knicks.
Not a good look.

Just don't.

To be honest, I'd expected you to post that yesterday. Given you posted it today, I'm somewhat disturbed...

Cypher

Likes Dirt
TMI warning...

I don't post the following lightly, but just so you think twice about harassing some poor person about their 'undies under knicks' habit

A couple of years ago I would have said no. But (being a woman) pregnancy and after-effects have made that a less desirable option. No not light bladder leakage, but some of the joys of 'motherhood'. It is not hygienic.

So I don't wear knicks if I can avoid it - i just wear normal shorts and undies as they clean easier (getting a good seat and just 'toughing up' do the trick mostly. Also you shouldn't be sitting down that much - we're mountain biking for goodness sakes, not road riding). Or I wear undies under knicks under shorts if I think I am doing a long ride - I have scars too.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Ripped the chamois liner out of an old pair of fox Ranger shorts and have been riding commando, no undies no knicks over this last hot summer...not too bad for a 2-3 hour ride...

I have been trying to convince my 10 year old that wearing cotton undies under boardies while swimming is a silly idea...all the kids seem to be doing it...