Uni survey - what tools are essential to carry while riding

downhill2026

Likes Dirt
hi guys, just doing a survey questionnaire thing for a uni assignment, just wondering

1. what are the base essential tools you need to take on a ride?
this can be anything, levers, tube, zip ties, gels, multi tools
if you could be really specific with what features the multi tool must have that would be tops

any comment would help
thanks guys

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So tempted to refer you to the various other threads about the contents of peoples ride packs...seems to be a pretty common thread gnat attracts hefty hate and a lock real fast.

Then tempted to be a smart arse and suggest I take a dildo, handcuffs, and lube to help me make friends on the trail.

But tonight being polite wins out. So for what it is worth I take shock pump and enough Allen keys to cover every hex bolt on my bike. Oh and do panties count as a tool?

omac

Likes Dirt
I like to carry a chain beaker, spare tube, pump & a basic multie tool with allen keys

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I shall place on a bet on 100 level statistics. Do a simple bit of research on something you are interested in. I would like to see the finished report with a comparison between historical posts and the fresh ones. See how people have matured in their trail tool selection. And some predictions for future super tools.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Ahh, ok.
I take a basic multi tool with hex keys and screwdriver bits. I also take tyre levers, Co2 cartridges, a tube and a chain breaker on long rides in isolated areas. The best multi tool to carry is a mobile phone.

ChopSticks

Banned
ill help only because I go to UTS :p

honestly... I think this is a hard question
you can really just take nothing and live on the edge, or you can go OTT (which I do)

But in my Camelbak I ALWAYS take:

a multitool (inbuilt chain breaker & co2 inflator head)
C02 canstier
4mm allen key
5mm allen key (multitool cant always reach every bolts)
1x pair of surgical gloves (incase someone gets fucked/blooded)
3x tyre levers
1x tube
hand pump
2x gels
2x big and small cable ties
glasses case with safety goggles (clear and/or polarised)
Patch kit
schrader-->presta valve adaptor
KMC missing link
3x small packets of salt (from maccas...... had a few incidents with leeches when riding... so never ride without salt now, also good if you cramp up and need emergency salt !!!!)

and if im going bush bush... I'll take the 1st Aid kit (stolen from my old car)

things I/others can also have include:
knife, scissors, magnesium tablets (if you're prone to cramping), matches/lighter, spare extra bolts... ie 2x 18mm M6's.
Also heard of stories of chainring bolts failing on a ride... so maybe include 4 chainring bolts (figured cable ties can hold chain ring bolts in place long enough to get back to car)
Mirror if you get yourself seriously stranded, and DONT FORGET A WHISTLE !

thats the best i can think of at 1am... will add more as it comes to me ! Good luck !

note: love the fact my multitool has a build in Co2 inflator, chain breaker is a nice addition too!
Id love to see a knife or scissors on there, 8mm allen would be awesome. A pedal wrench might be too much of an ask given it needs to be 15mm (but I'm just throwing ideas at you)

My Multitool has:
3,4,5,6,mm allen key
philips and flat head screw driver
chain breaker
co2 inflator
nipple wrench
theres some bits I dont even know what the use it... I can only assume one of them is a missinglink/power link joiner/splitter,

So as you can see.... Yes I'm seriously OCD
But if you ride with me, you'll be safe and covered

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
1x pair of surgical gloves (incase someone gets fucked)

But if you ride with me, you'll be safe and covered
I'm glad to know you employ safe practices on the trail....

An adjustable.spanner could be a winner. Not a shifter. A series of teeth to dictate the size (eg 15mm) and some kind of pinned lock to hold it on place. Keep it to about 3-4mm guage.

And how annoying are those pricks who don't take any tools????!!!! Hey mate can I borrow the tool you are carrying around because I'm too tight/stupid/lazy or whatever to carry one myself?

Minlak

custom titis
I carried "stuff" for 12 mths just in case. Never used any of it ever. Now I carry water that's it. The long walk out one day will teach me a lesson I'm sure :thumb:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a suggestion for a bike tool "design improvement". Design a multitool that only has one Allen key.(Make it a half decent size) then design different size hex fittings. Just like a ratchet set. The different hex fittings could be attached to the side of the tool.

The amount of multitools I have snapped because they the manufacturer decided to jam half a million hex keys in.....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I have a suggestion for a bike tool "design improvement". Design a multitool that only has one Allen key.(Make it a half decent size) then design different size hex fittings. Just like a ratchet set. The different hex fittings could be attached to the side of the tool.

The amount of multitools I have snapped because they the manufacturer decided to jam half a million hex keys in.....

If you have a trail pack anyway these take up f-all space just get these....

image.jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Yes good idea, though I have lost the t25 head that came with my alien tool

A tool that has levers the Allen keys and torque keys required, plus a co2 inflator and a place to clip a 25g co2 cartridge would be a win. Could add a place to store a missing link and obviously a chain breaker too.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Good multi tool with chain breaker. Mini pump, tube. zip ties. 100mm bit of tube for side wall cuts. Spare Derailleur hanger. $25 cash. Couple of zip lock bags (phone, car keys) 9 & 10 chain quick links. B'fast & apricot bar or banana.

Ivan

Eats Squid

Topeak have been making these for years.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/topeak-ratchet-rocket-tool/rp-prod28711

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/topeak-ratchet-rocket-lite-tool/rp-prod106799

shakes

Likes Dirt
I carried "stuff" for 12 mths just in case. Never used any of it ever. Now I carry water that's it. The long walk out one day will teach me a lesson I'm sure :thumb:
Thats pretty much how I run, take some glueless patches co2 and tires levers. Phone, licence, credit card and myki

But It vary's as well depending how remote I am. Usually dependant if I have more than an hours walk to a station or not.

Then a chain breaker and quick links get thrown in as well as a multitool. possibly a spare tube, and an extra gel.

If I'm more than a couple of hours away from help or it's a multi-dayer. A warm top, first aid, GPS couple of power bars, trangia and coffee pot often gets thrown in too.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pump, CO2 cannisters, cable ties, 2x KMC 10 sp quick link, chain breaker, spoke tool, 26" inner tube, (fits all wheels), first aid kit, octalink tool, derailleur hangar, multi tool, mini pliers, spare cleats and bolts, gels, energy bars, cash, cards ID, tyre levers, puncture repair kit.
There's bound to be something else but that is what I can recall for the moment. It weighs a bit but I'd rather have and not need...

Typically on a local ride I carry in my Camelbak (2L):
  • tyre levers;
  • 1x small multitool;
  • 1x patch kit;
  • 1x speed link;
  • 1x hand pump (on frame);
  • 1x muesli bar;
  • A few cable ties;
  • A few band-aids, these are good for hurties and sometimes patching tyres (inner wall);
  • Cash (for pie at the bakery); and
  • A phone.
When on a longer ride a carry a few mode bits. Some a spare tube, some bolts, CO2... maybe some beer, or is that where I am riding to?