Unofficial Retro/Vintage/Old School Aussie MTB Champs - Possible Event

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rightio,

The concept of an Unofficial Retro/Vintage/Old School Aussie MTB Champs has been discussed a few times in various riding circles in the past, and so this thread is really to gauge whether there is actually enough interest in an event to justify the effort of putting one on.

I’ve had a chat with a few interested Hobart locals and I think we can get a weekend together for a bit of an event for sometime in October/November.

A rough schedule of how things could work are as follows:

Friday: Those non Tassie riders arrive in Hobart and maybe meet up for a pre event FND (Friday Night Dink) or two.
Saturday: Simple event rego to hand out number plates etc for the event before a social ride for 3 or so hours. Post ride BBQ and maybe some novelty events (longest grassy skid, track stand, bunny hop etc etc) and prizes (best stack on the social ride, most desirable bike etc).
Sunday: (Competition Day) XC race (about 1 hour), Uphill and Downhill Races, and maybe even a pairs short track event if there is enough interest. Fashions on the trail (best dressed period race gear).

Rather than deciding the winner purely on race results, I’m think points for races, participation in the social stuff as well fashion to determine an overall winner is the go – although this can be discussed at a later date (assuming this thing goes ahead).

Bike wise I’m thinking anything built prior to 2000 is an acceptable cut off although I won’t stop anyone participating on a modern bike (they just won’t be eligible to win anything).

So people add your $0.02 worth and I’ll look at locking in some dates and doing some real advertising should there be real interest, otherwise I'll let it go the way of Fat City Cycles.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in...

*runs off to get welder to fix Manitou DH bike...

** and some more elstomers for manitous

*** headset race in 1inch and elastomer for flexstem

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
My opinion 2000 is too modern. V-brakes, discs, air-shocks and geometry similar to what we are riding today was around.

1995 or earlier! Or a few catagories pre 80's, pre 90's, and pre 2000?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My opinion 2000 is too modern. V-brakes, discs, air-shocks and geometry similar to what we are riding today was around.

1995 or earlier! Or a few catagories pre 80's, pre 90's, and pre 2000?
2000 is too modern thats why i said prior to 2000 ;)

the intention would be to categories into something as follows but really it would dependent on numbers.

80s and older
90 - 95 (inclusive)
96 - 99 (inclusive)

Discs, V brakes, air shocks and geometry as per modern bikes were all pretty much sorted in the early 90s.

At the end of the day I see something like this as more an appreciation of old mountain bikes than a pure competetion and so I prefer if someone want to come along on a 2011 machine wearing their old purple Kona jersey then thats cool by me. :cool:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alternatively we could just have a social gathering over a weekend and just ride old bikes, talk shit and watch old mountain biking videos.

I may even allow a test ride of a few of my old machines currently hiding in the bike cave. :cool:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not convinced there is a great focus on the old bikes as such, although happy to be proven wrong.

http://www.facebook.com/update_secu...12199953&set=o.112939805388903&type=1&theater

or this....

http://www.facebook.com/update_secu...87334953&set=o.112939805388903&type=1&theater

old school enough ?

Gravitate is a week long "festival"

One of the events is a old school Kuranda DH run....Lots of locals looking around for GT's from the era which arent broken from use.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
old school enough ?

Gravitate is a week long "festival"

One of the events is a old school Kuranda DH run....Lots of locals looking around for GT's from the era which arent broken from use.
Yes I've seen those photos many times before, but really it doesn't look like more than a handful of old bikes were there.

There are plenty of old GT frames from the era about, just don't expect them to be a cheap as they once were.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats true. There were not many "vintage" mtbs.

Hopefully this year there will be a few more.

Gotta start somewhere !

4dabush

Likes Dirt
I reckon we had about 20 legit racers at Kuranda...and from memory the judging and racing was wrapped up in one...points (in seconds) awarded or taken off depending on age, authenticity etc...in the end I dont think anyone gave a toss about the actual placings...it was hilarious though - best fun ever. AND there were some awesome old original bikes, some clunckers and some resto's that would make car buffs proud...one Specialized had so much NOS parts, some still with lables and price tags - just amazing.
For me, my goal was to get to the bottom without a stack (which is more than I can say I do on the DH bike!)

Copy (2) of lts3 c.jpg

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've not checked this in a while, so time to try and gather more interest...

Both the Retro DH and gravitate events look interesting but I think they focus too much on the gravity side for most owners of old mountain bikes especially as some are more fragile than others.

That said, if I was closer I'd happily drag out some period DH bikes and look the part.

Anyway I'm still keen to get a bit of a National gathering of all types of old mountain bikes (and interested owners) going so like these events if it starts small its still a start and something to build on. :cool:

Knut

Troll hunter
I have a Sintesi x wing with super fly elastomers, and v brakes that meets the cut off. Love to come if it is accessible. Tassie is nice, but a hassle. Great concept. Have been thinking about similar idea for a while.