* UPDATE* National DH #2 - Mt Baw Baw, No Late Entry Fee

Mr King

Likes Dirt
*UPDATE* After negotiations with MTBA, KSJ Events and GMTB, The Late Entry Fee of $50 has been scrapped for this event. A $30 fee will still apply to those riders wishing to practice on the Friday. So go on, come on up to Mt Baw Baw and get some!

National DH #2 at Mt Baw Baw is on in four days, just keen to see what riders are doing. Is it going to be huge like the VDHS (say 400 riders) or are numbers going to be down? We've booked 10 shuttle buses so you'll get heaps of runs in and Mt Baw Baw are pulling out their 'Big Air Bag' for some jump action. There will be a free skills clinic on the Friday of the event and we are going to have an after party at the Alpine Hotel afterwards as well.

So tell us if you are coming to get some, or if you are deciding to do something else.View attachment MTBA 38582 Series Posters Baw Baw.pdfView attachment MTBA 38608 Junior Skills Clinic Ad A5 - Mt Baw Baw.pdf

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I'll be heading down with a few of my mates who will be riding, I'll be trackside with my camera.
Closest accomodation we could find is a place called Warburton, but far out this track looks like a pain in the f#*@ing ass to get to and from!
I can't comprehend why you'd have a track/venue that's so far away from everything, no petrol within an hour or so worth of driving so I've been told, same goes for accomodation, what the hell were MTBA thinking?
As for the track, it's obviously not going to be absolute garbage considering it has been given the privelage of hosting a national round, but from what I've seen it looks like a pretty boring track, might be anything but for the riders, I can't say I know.

Rant over.

mad greek

Likes Dirt
I'll be heading down with a few of my mates who will be riding, I'll be trackside with my camera.
Closest accomodation we could find is a place called Warburton, but far out this track looks like a pain in the f#*@ing ass to get to and from!
I can't comprehend why you'd have a track/venue that's so far away from everything, no petrol within an hour or so worth of driving so I've been told, same goes for accomodation, what the hell were MTBA thinking?
As for the track, it's obviously not going to be absolute garbage considering it has been given the privelage of hosting a national round, but from what I've seen it looks like a pretty boring track, might be anything but for the riders, I can't say I know.

Rant over.
You can stay on the mountain. They have some great lodges up there which cater for the alpine style setups (so have a room to store gear/bikes, etc).

I'd check that out before booking the Warbie thing! (if you haven't already).

Cheers,
Theo

INTENSE DHER

Five cans short of a six pack
You can stay on the mountain. They have some great lodges up there which cater for the alpine style setups (so have a room to store gear/bikes, etc).

I'd check that out before booking the Warbie thing! (if you haven't already).

Cheers,
Theo
sooty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sooty is the best!

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't really want to do that drive twice a day, it's pretty slow windy driving in and out of Baw Baw. I'm sure you could find a bed up on the hill, plenty of lodges to stay in, it's a ski resort.

Go here and give them a buzz.

http://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Kingy,
Spoken to a couple mates and they are all going, I would expect to see a lot of the State series guys and gals there. Will see you there mate.
Jake

S.

ex offender

Rant over.
Good to see an informed opinion from someone who's:
a) over the age of 15
b) got half a clue where to find accommodation
c) ridden the track.

For the record, you can stay in lodges less than 30 metres from the track (yes, that means the other side of a road).

notso

Likes Dirt
As far as I've heard around the traps cuz everyone seems keen.
The only deterrent to the race I've heard off people is the price. I haven't seen it yet but i've heard it's more expensive than the state series. Nevertheless I will be there.

Being run by the guys at Gippsland MTB club, I think everyone still knows it'll be run as well as other VDHS races, which are almost faultless these days.

Looking forward to the race. Having the accommodation so close and having pretty much everyone stay in the Baw Baw village makes for a great vibe.
Its also a great venue for families to come up with the restaurant right at the top where the riders come past.
Always good times at the pub on the saturday night :)

Just make sure you fill up your petrol tanks either in Warby or before you get off the freeway if you're coming down the monash. :)

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Good to see an informed opinion from someone who's:
a) over the age of 15
b) got half a clue where to find accommodation
c) ridden the track.

For the record, you can stay in lodges less than 30 metres from the track (yes, that means the other side of a road).
The majority of that is what I've heard from other people who have been to the venue or have researched it.
I called 3 lodges up at Baw Baw, not one answered, I called up at Warburton and was told that they are seasonal lodges, and aren't open in the summer.

Cheers for that link Wisey, I'm going to check it out now, wouldn't be too keen on staying as far away as Warburton.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only deterrent to the race I've heard off people is the price. I haven't seen it yet but i've heard it's more expensive than the (VIC) state series.
I just had a look on the MTBA site and it is charging $110 for pre-entries. I'm not sure if there is any additional fees if you pay on the day though.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I called 3 lodges up at Baw Baw, not one answered, I called up at Warburton and was told that they are seasonal lodges, and aren't open in the summer.

Cheers for that link Wisey, I'm going to check it out now, wouldn't be too keen on staying as far away as Warburton.
Lodging is run by the Resort Management in Summer, no one in the lodges to answer the phones...

Edit - And Sam, from memory it's bound to be $20 or more for entries at the race.

Last edited:

dl79

Likes Dirt
I just had a look on the MTBA site and it is charging $110 for pre-entries. I'm not sure if there is any additional fees if you pay on the day though.
I raced the Tassie round in early December and missed the pre entries. I had to pay $50 extra late fee on top of an extra $30 for shuttles on Friday. $190 entry was not cheap. Race was sick though, looking forward to Baw Baw.

Dave

Lube

Likes Dirt
Everybody bring as much noise makers as you can! Air horns, marracas, cowbells or your whiny little sister! This race is shaping up to be great :)

Mr King

Likes Dirt
Heaps of accommodation available!

There is still heaps of accommodation left on the mountain, all bookings go through www.mountbawbaw.com.au or 1300 651 136.

Best to stay on the mountain as it is right on top of the DH course!

Staunch

Eats Squid
I was super keen for this event, but I'm a bit disappointed with the pre-registry system.
I know it was supposed to close today, but being away on holiday I didn't get time to pre-register earlier. I went to do it today, knowing that it closes on the 7th, only to find out that it closed at 11:59AM?

Now, I know it my fault for not checking properly, etc, but normally when online things close, it's at 11:59PM, so you have the whole of the day to do it. I know that they have to have a cut off time, fair enough, but in the middle of the day? Not too happy with having to pay an extra $50 to rego there for missing out by and hour or two, but I guess it's ultimately my fault....

Mr King

Likes Dirt
* UPDATE* National DH #2 - Mt Baw Baw, No Late Entry Fee

*UPDATE* After negotiations with MTBA, KSJ Events and GMTB, The Late Entry Fee of $50 has been scrapped for this event. A $30 fee will still apply to those riders wishing to practice on the Friday. So go on, come on up to Mt Baw Baw and get some!

Gippsland MTB

The National Series at Baw Baw was ........... perfect.
Gippsland MTB, Volunteers, Jayco, Specialized, Riders & MTBA all conspired to deliver a downhill experience that everyone loved.
Rarely do the stars align to give rain and mud - transformed into DH track perfection with weather the event partner.
I have NEVER been to an event that had no whinges - as there was nuthin to complain 'bout.
Thanks, thanks, thanks well done! GMTB showin how to do it!!!!