Upgrade forks or buy a frame?

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Righto comin into some cash soon.Undecided as to upgrade the forks on my stinky(Z.3's now) or invest in a nice little hardtail frame(Da Bomb).
What do the experts suggest?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
what type of riding? Z.3's are 4 inch yer?? so would u want another sc or a dc? i reckon u should buy a second hand ht frame and some second hand forks if u wanted more travel and put all the stuff off the stinky with ur new forks onto that frame

grovesy

Likes Dirt
CHEWY said:
what type of riding? Z.3's are 4 inch yer?? so would u want another sc or a dc? i reckon u should buy a second hand ht frame and some second hand forks if u wanted more travel and put all the stuff off the stinky with ur new forks onto that frame

Heavy trail riding.Currently 5 inch coil oil,lookin at junior t 5 inch for strength/balance and I love the look of Da Bomb hardtail.Especially after seein a set o triple clamps on one.

bazza

look at me
go forks

dont forget if you get a frame you are going to have to build it up. unless you loose your dualy. which you shouldnt. yeah go the forks get a pair of 03 jrts if you can get em cheap or look around 2nd hand. i reakon you could probably barter a pair for 1k. and sell your forks or trade them into the shop.

neko

Likes Dirt
There was a JR going down here in Tas for about 800 near new. Just for an idea on price.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
if u want the JRT2 5 inch u dont nessecerallly have to get one of those new ones off the rampage, there the same as the 00 models so ud be best of to find a quailty set of them, i saw a pair ages ago going for 200 bucks

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Re: go forks

bazza said:
dont forget if you get a frame you are going to have to build it up. unless you loose your dualy. which you shouldnt. yeah go the forks get a pair of 03 jrts if you can get em cheap or look around 2nd hand. i reakon you could probably barter a pair for 1k. and sell your forks or trade them into the shop.

Hey bazza,in regards to building up the frame I got a xc style hardtail with a lota xt,mavic rims and Z.4's. considering using some of that stuff or selling it to finance the job.

But your more than likely right,cheers.

Ghost

Likes Dirt
Personally, I'd keep the frame (a Stinky you said?) and work around that for the time being. As has been mentioned, some Junior T's would run well on it - nothing too big, yet big enough to allow you a lot of flexibility.

The Stinky should allow you to put some pretty impressive stuff on it, so I'd hold off on a new frame for the time being. This way, when you get the money together for a new frame, you'll have sweetness to surround it.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a stinky and came into a bit of cash, i ended up doing up the forks and wheels and eventually the brakes. Then when id saved enough for a new frame, all i had to do was swap all the parts over. Unless you're having real issues with the frame as is, i think its a more worthwhile option to upgrade parts.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think get a new fork

the stinky is versatile enough to use it for
street riding (what id imagine you want the Da Bomb for)

a new fork would definately give new life to it
id look into some of the high end single crowns
also eg Z1 Fr or the Sherman lineup

i think that good as good a job as a Jnr T

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Nahhh you guys are goin off on your own,what I'm trying to ask is, should I spend on the stinky? or leave the stinky well alone and purchase a nasty hardtail frame? then build it up to bash the bush with as well.Not really interested in urban.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
upgrade the forks and wheels. Boxxer Race is pretty cheap although there may be a bit of a wait on those. Stinky5, i work for Bikeforce Myaree and will definately try and help you when it comes time to order stuff.

Ghost

Likes Dirt
stinky5 said:
Nahhh you guys are goin off on your own,what I'm trying to ask is, should I spend on the stinky? or leave the stinky well alone and purchase a nasty hardtail frame?
Actually, we're answering your question and then some.

stinky5 said:
Righto comin into some cash soon.Undecided as to upgrade the forks on my stinky(Z.3's now) or invest in a nice little hardtail frame(Da Bomb).
What do the experts suggest?
Gladly accepting the tag "expert", I suggested you upgrade the forks on your Stinky and then went into detail about ramping up the rest of your ride.

Yes I did go off track, but I did answer your question. :p

dhd

Downhill Direct
Simple......If you are totally happy with the stinky get the Da Bomb and go hardtailing too. Otherwise get some forks on the Stinky and ride the wheels off it!.