upgrade or try something new ??

crim 87

Likes Dirt
hey guys im in a bit of a pickle at the minute , cant decide whether to start upgrading my current ride (specialized enduro comp 29) which ive had for a bit over a year now and loved. but cant really justify spending heaps of extra money to upgrade the things i want (rock shox pikes , carbon wheels and a few other bits and pieces) or just sell it and try getting something new. i love the look of heaps of bikes out at the minute transition patrol not sure to buy complete or build up from the frame with the specs i want. the new kona process 153's look sweet also the enduro 650b's look tasty to. im open to any other bikes that fit into the 650b 150mm to 160mm range never ridden one but wouldn't mind having something a bit lighter and a bit more playful. any info or advice would be great cheers guys

If you can afford an upgrade, it's always worth getting new bike. Nothing better.
But wrenching on a bike is pretty nice too.
Loving my Enduro 29r, bulletproof and dangerous.
Upgrade time for me might just mean a new paint job/powder coat.
Mine came with Pikes, doesn't appear that was spec for Comp models 2013?

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
I guess you will need to take into account how much money you are going to get for your Enduro and do the sum? CRC has some killer deals at moment on suspension / drivetrains:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-15mm-2015/rp-prod109670

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/groupsets?icn=christmas14&icb=aspot2-groupsetschristmas14

If riding 29er for a while now, I strongly suggest to stick to that wheel size. Dropping to 650B is going to make you re-learn how to ride on the smaller size all over again. The Endo 29er can handle very aggressive riding and you might be tackling obstacles without even realizing how easy the wheel size makes it.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
If you can afford an upgrade, it's always worth getting new bike. Nothing better.
But wrenching on a bike is pretty nice too.
Loving my Enduro 29r, bulletproof and dangerous.
Upgrade time for me might just mean a new paint job/powder coat.
Mine came with Pikes, doesn't appear that was spec for Comp models 2013?
yeah they do but I've got the mid season SE release which doesn't have the pikes which I'm fuming about. The Fox forks are garbage pretty much max them out on psi just to stop from bottoming out on the smallest of drops which they still do and it makes small bump compliance terrible

crim 87

Likes Dirt
I guess you will need to take into account how much money you are going to get for your Enduro and do the sum? CRC has some killer deals at moment on suspension / drivetrains:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-15mm-2015/rp-prod109670

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/groupsets?icn=christmas14&icb=aspot2-groupsetschristmas14

If riding 29er for a while now, I strongly suggest to stick to that wheel size. Dropping to 650B is going to make you re-learn how to ride on the smaller size all over again. The Endo 29er can handle very aggressive riding and you might be tackling obstacles without even realizing how easy the wheel size makes it.
yeah they can handle a lot but its starting to feel a bit sluggish and slow to accelerate and a bit heavy for general climbing and riding wouldn't mind trying a 650b to see how much more playful and snappy they feel guess i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a demo day soon to try one

my02

Likes Dirt
Ibis have just launched their new Mojo HD3.

From the first reports it might suit your needs and be worth a look.

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
yeah they do but I've got the mid season SE release which doesn't have the pikes which I'm fuming about. The Fox forks are garbage pretty much max them out on psi just to stop from bottoming out on the smallest of drops which they still do and it makes small bump compliance terrible
I was on the same boat with my 26er and the upgrade into a PIKE alone made a massive difference.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
so some of my top picks at the minute
1) Norco Range carbon and sight carbon test rode both today and they were insane different to what im used to very stiff , not as light as i thought it would be but very flickable and fun to ride both corned awsome with short stems and smaller wheel size
2)kona process 153 both the standard and dl versions look good but may be a bit heavy
3) Banshee Rune/spitfire seen heaps cropping up lately would be awsome to build one up to the spec i like but am not sure what it would cost me all up don't like how you can't runa bottle cage though.
4) Transition patrol these prob look like my favorite of the bunch hopefully can sort out a test ride soon but are a bit expensive i feel 7,499 for to of the range build which is basically the same as the range and sight but they are only 5,999

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To OP, how much does Enduro weigh? This will be the biggest difference you will find with new bike if dropping weight. I had 2 bikes both around 14kg and picked up a second hand carbon 275. Yes the smaller wheel size is noticeable but the 2kg drop in weight was what made the biggest difference. Everything feels better, climbs easier, accelerates insanely quicker.

I still feel the bigger wheel deals with very rocky stuff better, but weight will be what changes how the bike rides.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
not to sure how much it weighs ive gone 1x10 , put a dropper post on and some wider bars and have some mallet crank bros pedals so would roughly be around the same weight as stock i think. both of the carbon range and sights i rode today didn't feel massively lighter but they def accelerated way better and turned so much quicker with the shorter stem and smaller wheels. they also felt extremely stiff which is very different to what im used to with the big alloy wheels and noodle like fox fork i think with a set of the LB carbon wheels on the range or sight would be insane

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 29ner runs 34's which make a big difference to stiffness, but have a weight penalty too. You sound like you have made your decision already ;-)

crim 87

Likes Dirt
yeah i think im going to swap to the smaller wheel size when i can purely for the fun and flickabilty of and the turning is so much quicker. my pikes should be here tue or wed so hopefully that rekindles the love with the wagon wheels for a while