upgrading brakes

hi guys
im looking at upgrading the brakes on my giant xtc2
any suggestions of a good braking system to use without braking the bank?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Might help to tell us what you are currently running. Bang for buck SLX are hard to beat IMHO

OTH Dave

Likes Bikes
Not sure what you are upgrading from.
Just bought a set of these for my XTC and for the Trance as well. Great stopping power and feathering.
$69.19 per end for Shimano SLX 675 I spec 2 B with I tech finned pads. Extra for rotors etc if you need them.
Great value and very good product for $140, easy to install and bleed.
May need to spend $160 with Evans for free shipping.
Plenty of other bargins and options there as well.
Mine were shipped to Brisbane in 4 - 5 days.

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/s...ic-disc-brakes-i-spec-2-b-compatible-EV191869

Last edited:

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Upgraded my son's hard tail from cable disc brakes to hydraulic... wanted to spend min $$ and ended up getting these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-acera-m396-disc-brake/rp-prod119954

Amazing performance for the $71.50 I paid at the time (for the pair). If you want to spend more, then there is Deore, SLX or XT... each will give you minor improvement in performance & weight... if the bike is more than 6 years old then I'd have trouble justifying anything more than Acera, otherwise I'd probably go for Deore (or SLX).

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
currently running shimano br-m 446 brakes
Can you be more specific as to why you want to upgrade? What don't you like about these brakes and is it perhaps a lack of maintenance that is causing a lack of performance?

Like stirk says, they aren't too bad. I too have an XTC2 with the same brakes and changed the front rotor from 160mm to 180mm and it made a big difference; gets the right front/rear stopping forces more balanced.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Just put some SLX on the Darls bike ... more power, more feel, one finger reach ... she's happy ... and I don't freak out when I ride it from the top carpark to the workshop. If any of my other bikes brakes go to the dogs ... I'll just go SLX