Uplift service wollongong

bigred86

Likes Bikes
I'm thinking of starting an uplift service in wollongong.
So what are people's thoughts would you be willing to pay for uplifts and how much? etc
It would only be with a dc ute at first unless demand is high.
Hours would be weekends and every second week on weekdays.
Yes I'm aware of the trails and their status.
Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

.dan.

Likes Dirt
There's plenty of shuttle services in NZ that do this sort of thing. However they have a much better market for it over there, the trails are much better and there is lots more riders locally and visiting. I think for this to take off you would have to put in some work on the trails and make them running flawlessly again so that people get their moneys worth. There's lots of good trails in Wollongong, but most of my favourites have been in terrible condition for quite some time (I'm referring to some of the steeper, more natural trails here). In regards to the cost, when I was in NZ I think it was about $5 per run when I was doing shuttles at some of the tracks closer to town. If the tracks were far away from town it was more like $75 for a full day.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think one of your major problems will be that you are limited by the roads and current road closures. You might be able to make a bit of a buck on the side but I am not sure how this would go as a longer term venture.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Given how short the trails are, there's no way I would pay 5 bucks a run.
A good solid day of shuttling Kembla adds about 60km to your odometer. We all chuck in 5 bucks to whoever owns the ute we use and that more then covers the fuel used plus a bit of wear and tear. You might be better to charge by the hour, not the run.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yes I'm aware of the trails and their status.
What is the current status? If you want it to work as a business then the status has to be clear to all parties, especially council and land owners and you will need their permission. If you don't get those things sorted you won't be able to get any form of insurance...

Don't get me wrong I would like a good uplift service but it isn't as simple as a dual cab and trailer.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From my observations on Rotorburn and Farkin, the 'gong locals often seem to be the angriest and most protectionist of their trails (with good reason; they're all unofficial and have uncertain futures). A shuttle service that draws attention to the trails (or appears to potentially draw attention to the trails) isn't going to please them. Not saying that you's have your tires slashed everyday. Maybe just from time to time.....

willsy01

Eats Squid
You might want to check your insurance policy. A prang with a ute load of expensive DH kit will be costly once your insurance company tells you your policy is void.

bigred86

Likes Bikes
All very valid points.factoring in work on the trails and insurance maybe it's a bit of a waste.land owners are tricky everyone knows they are illegal.perhaps the only way forward would be an unofficial business cash only with signed waivers for participants,until interest picks up.

On a side note-what happened with greenvalley?

Flint

Likes Dirt
I'd kill for a shuttle service in Canberra. I am surprised there isn't one already to be honest. :(

Minlak

custom titis
Signed waivers are not worth the paper they are written on. A waiver doesn't excuse you from negligence which is what you will be with with in the event of an accident. Accidents don't have to be major to be costly. Loss of income as well as property and we have all been hearing about the dreadful king hit issues going on. Some numpty trips over their own feet getting off the ute or trailer and hits their head hard on anything its trouble. You didn't show enough care in setting up your ute. Even friends will sue friends for money when they can't work or might lose their house with no income. And don't forget you delivered them to the top of the hill when they fall off mid hill you are still possibly going to be named in law suits. Along with the property holder that didn't restrict access.

I am sorry I have no other advice to offer than this is a slippery slope.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Signed waivers are not worth the paper they are written on. A waiver doesn't excuse you from negligence which is what you will be with with in the event of an accident. Accidents don't have to be major to be costly. Loss of income as well as property and we have all been hearing about the dreadful king hit issues going on. Some numpty trips over their own feet getting off the ute or trailer and hits their head hard on anything its trouble. You didn't show enough care in setting up your ute. Even friends will sue friends for money when they can't work or might lose their house with no income. And don't forget you delivered them to the top of the hill when they fall off mid hill you are still possibly going to be named in law suits. Along with the property holder that didn't restrict access.

I am sorry I have no other advice to offer than this is a slippery slope.

Lawyer much? http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/cla2002161/s5n.html

peanut

Likes Dirt
I'd kill for a shuttle service in Canberra. I am surprised there isn't one already to be honest. :(
I think it's a case of sooner rather than later, i 've heard of a few parties wanting to start a w/end service at stromlo. Surprised it didn't eventuate these holidays.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interested in how that interacts with WHS laws, the way I see it the waiver covers you for the activity but WHS would come into effect when you slice your leg open on the sharp edge on the trailer, as an example.

By "WHS" do you mean "workplace health and safety"? If so, that relates to a duty for an employer to provide a safe workplace for employees, so would not be relevant to non-employees (customers) of a commercial venture.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most ridders of the gong trails I would presume would appreciate if you didn't do a shuttle service . All the riding in the gong is illegal and the few that ride the trails and maintain the network really try to ride under the radar . Sure the trails are for everyone but they do shut down from time to time because of large numbers . Complaints in the area are generally from residents , it a quiet area and I presume like the tranquility . Please don't spoil the trails for the chance of making a few dollars .

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Most ridders of the gong trails I would presume would appreciate if you didn't do a shuttle service . All the riding in the gong is illegal and the few that ride the trails and maintain the network really try to ride under the radar . Sure the trails are for everyone but they do shut down from time to time because of large numbers . Complaints in the area are generally from residents , it a quiet area and I presume like the tranquility . Please don't spoil the trails for the chance of making a few dollars .
+1. If you're set on doing this, you may want to think about setting up in an area with plenty of legal trails (Canberra), or start doing some trail advocacy to get some of the trails legalized or to establish a brand new legal trail/s. Providing a service like this on illegal trails would lead to no good happening for any of the Wollongong trails.