Upsell Me...

dresch

Likes Bikes
Novice rider returning from 12 year sojourn out of the saddle. Grew up riding a heavy as fuck Giant MTB which only claim to fame was that it had Alloy rims.

I never rode competitively, but would regualrly cover 40-50km's of fire trail every other weekend with one of my close mates. Then we discovered beer a year or two later and the love hate relationship with sore legs and dehydration finished.

Back then I was 14, now I'm 26 with a much better budget and all of a sudden feeling the urge to get back into it. Having said that I'm about half as fit as I was then, if not worse.

I have targetted the 50km BMC Classic as my first ever competitive ride, but need to find myself a bike.

Will spend most of my time riding pretty tame single track and fire trails, but I'm a sucker for long days in the seat and am starting to feel a bit precious about getting a sore ass. Initially I was convinced I'd go HT, but now I'm leaning towards a dually.

Brain says to stick to a budget (credit crunch) and get myself a Giant Talon.

Heart wants to break the bank and get myself a Trance X3.

If you were my LBS salesman, how would you convince me to part with the extra cash?

And is a novice rider like me going to be out of his depth at the BMC event in Woodend?

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GO the trance x 3 they are seriously good bikes. I was in your position a couple of years ago and went the HT over dually and almost imediately i wanted a dually so the ht lasted a year utill it was sold and a dually was purchased. Go the dually then you wont have the lingering doubts about your purchase. Your arse will thank you too

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BMC will be completely within your abilities - especially the 50km, just get in as much riding as possible to build endurance and leg strength first.

X3 vs Talon - hmmm. A tough call. I haven't had a good look at the component list for both but suspect that they are line ball. Both will be excellent XC bikes, but the X3 will come into it's own on longer rides, the rear suspension will not fatigue you (or your back) as much. Similar seating position to the Talon - slackish head angle - but the hardtail will teach you to be a better rider, rather than learning sloppy habits straight up on the Trance.

Will you get an extra $900 fun out of the Trance? Dunno.

dresch

Likes Bikes
I've got this nasty habit of always wanting an upgrade, whether its a bike, golf clubs, pc or whatever. Can imagine I'll suffer the same thing here if I buy the Talon.

Have never ridden a dually before, and am somewhat stressed about the fact I'm a fat f$%$ at 178cm, 105kgs'ish. How badly am I going to suffer pedal 'bob' as a result?

I need all the help I can get on the ascent. haha.

workmx

Banned
How badly am I going to suffer pedal 'bob' as a result?
With the current generation of platform shocks, you should get very little to no bob at all.

Being a long term (20 years) HT rider I was pleasantly surprised by the Fox shock on my new FS Kona. There is no bob at all when out of the saddle and in Pro-Pedal mode.

Having said that I agree with Leftieant. After some time off you will learn to pick better lines and be a better rider on a HT.

...but the hardtail will teach you to be a better rider, rather than learning sloppy habits straight up on the Trance.
Also, $2000 buys better parts on a HT. That should keep the baseless upgrade habit at bay for a while.

Last edited:

da_foles

Likes Bikes
Keep your eyes open for sales. My LBS had 35% off just recently and I was able to pick up a 2009 Giant Anthem for 1800. Do some research before you hand over the cash. I managed to find this sale on its last day. The bike was back to 2800 the next day.

JD26

Likes Dirt
Just be honest with yourself. How long will it take before you start upgrading the components..... How long will it take before you have spent the same amount of money as the more expensive bike?....

Is it better to have the bike that is perfect in your mind initially, or a bike that drives you crazy when out on the trail because it has the cheaper shifters, chain and heavy slow wheels.

If you are spending any decent sort of time in the saddle (this is totally dependant on you) do you want those hours to be along the lines of
a) "man this is the best bike ever and I am really enjoying my precious time on the bike feeling like a superstar" or,
b) "I wish these wheels were lighter so I could punch it up the climb or hold the wheel in front of me, gees these shifters are a bit clunky.

For sure it is better to have a bike than not have a bike, however, I can guarantee you will be wanting the better bike. It is definitely worth it in the long run getting the better bike.

I think at one stage or another we have all regretted not spending the hard earned money up front. You will spend the equivalent if not more if you get the cheaper option.

Just my opinion.....

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Heart wants to break the bank and get myself a Trance X3.

If you were my LBS salesman, how would you convince me to part with the extra cash?
"Yeah, you'll like the Trance X3 a lot more, but have you seen the Trance X1? Here, feel how light it is. Are you interested in a quick test ride?" :p :D

dresch

Likes Bikes
Suspect I wouldn't be the type to continually upgrade my components, more likely to hock the bike and buy something new off the rack.

But where does it end? If I wax the extra cash and get myself an XTC, does the urge to keep up with the Jones'es stop? haha.

I'm flush with the cash to buy almost anything I want right now, but I'm trying to play down that whole gen-Y thing and save some dough for once!

What's going to nark me about the Talon if I do decide to cut corners? The components look very similar to say the bottom end Trance or XTC.

dresch

Likes Bikes
"Yeah, you'll like the Trance X3 a lot more, but have you seen the Trance X1? Here, feel how light it is. Are you interested in a quick test ride?" :p :D
Fuck man, and I was seriously hoping I'd come here and be told to only spend what you need. Haha. :eek:

John U

MTB Precision
Get the dually. You'll enjoy your riding a lot more. Hard tails are for smooth courses and/or cross country whippets who enjoy pain.

The 50k option on the BMC shouldn't be an issue. The more training you can get in before the race the more you will enjoy it though.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I was seriously hoping I'd come here and be told to only spend what you need.
OK then. Buy the cheapest hardtail that you'll be happy riding for just the next 8 months.

Then, around the time 2010 models hit the bikes stores; take the shifters, derailleurs, cassette and rings off your hardtail. Feel free to sell them or keep as spares. Get an unramped ring, SS kit (cog and spacers), and chain tensioner. (Can be done for $100 if you try.) Singlespeed time!

Check out the 2010 models and buy a rather nice bike. Ride the SS on fun/social rides, as a commuter, or even in short races. Race the nice bike. Your journey down the N+1 road has begun. :D

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got this nasty habit of always wanting an upgrade, whether its a bike, golf clubs, pc or whatever. Can imagine I'll suffer the same thing here if I buy the Talon.

Have never ridden a dually before, and am somewhat stressed about the fact I'm a fat f$%$ at 178cm, 105kgs'ish. How badly am I going to suffer pedal 'bob' as a result?

I need all the help I can get on the ascent. haha.

Don't worry about bob you can adjust the air pressure on the shock and it should have pro pedal

Knopey

Likes Dirt
But where does it end?
At around $12000+ if you let it get that bad ;)

It sounds like you'll spend a lot of time in the saddle, so divide the extra cost of the Trance X3 by the number of hours you'll ride in say, 3 years, and you have the hourly cost of the better bike :) (i.e. not much)

And for god's sake don't test ride the more expensive models.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
recommendations

For people just getting into the sport, I usually recommend hardtail eg talon or similar. But you have ridden in the past, so you know you will like it.

Go the Trance X3. And ride lots.

Are you certain you want to hear this...ok then:

Just stopped riding my Fuji Pro hardtail (pretty good for 3 years)...because I just picked up my brand spanking new, shiny, fan-bloody-tastic Giant Trance X1.

I'm 100kg, 183cm so about in your ballpark. The Trance is just so plush on descents, climbs almost like the hardtail. In short, I have NO buyer's remorse :D

red28

Likes Bikes
I've come back into the sport after a 10 year absence, plenty of on road and bike path riding on the MTB though.

Being around 95Kg and 175cm not the lightest of pilots. I instinctly went with a hardtail setup with good components and ended up with a reasonably light bike. For short sprints and less hardcore off road it is fine, but on the bumpy stuff not so entertaining.

After looking around I managed to get a brand new older model Reign 0 for under $3k, it isn't the lightest bike, but with plenty of travel it is great for hardcore riding. Just needed to experiment with tyres and some other components to get it the way I liked it.

Being the 0 model it has higher end components like Mavic Crossmax wheels, Fox Float forks, RP23 rear shock and SRAM X0 RD.

So to answer your question, if you want to get good value on a bike which will last you for more than 12 months (not from wearing out but the desire to ride it), it might be useful to think outside the square a little and look at full suspension options.

Just my opinion! I am glad I did get the FS and I bet I will enjoy the BMC Classic a lot more than if I rode my HT.

dresch

Likes Bikes
I've just found a 2007 Trance 2 on sale for AUD1,849 from a LBS's website (calling them tomorrow to check they're still in stock)!

Can anyone doing a quick comparison of the components between the 2007 and 2008 models? Just a bit wary of the LBS stripping bikes down to catch unwary consumers like me on the hop? Do they do that? Or can I be confident this is as stocked?

I've removed the components which are similar.

2007 Trance 2
Frame: ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 4.2in travel
Forks: Rockshox Recon 351 Solo Air w/PopLoc, 100mm, Fox Float R
Rear derailleur: SRAM X-7 9 speed
Gear levers: SRAM X-7 trigger shift 27 speed
Brake levers: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic w/6in rotors
Cranks: Raceface Ride XC X-Type 22x32x44T
B/Bracket: Raceface Ride XC X-Type integrated, outboard
Hubs: Fr: Formula disc | Rr: Shimano M475 9sp disc
Tyres: Fr: Hutchinson Barracuda 2.1in | Rr: Piranha 26 x 2.0in
Handlebars: Easton EA30 low rise
Stem: Easton EA30
S/Pillar: Easton EA30 30.9mm
Saddle: SDG Bel Air w/cr-mo rail

2008 Trance X3
Frame: ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 5.0"/125mm travel
Fork: Fox 32 F120*R, w/15QR,*4.7"/120mm
Rear shock: Fox Float R w/ProPedal
Rear derailleur: Shimano*SLX shadow*high normal 9 speed
Shifters: Shimano Deore rapid fire 27 speed
Crankset: Shimano Deore*Class Hollowtech II 22x32x44
Bottom bracket: Shimano Deore*Class integrated, outboard
Brake: Shimano M486 hydraulic w/6" centre-lock rotors
Brake levers: Shimano M486 hydraulic
Hubs: Fr: Formula 15mm / Rr: Shimano M475 cassette disc
Tyres: Kenda Nevegal 26x2,1"
Handlebars: Raceface Ride XC 31.8mm low rise/Raceface Ride XC
Seat post: Raceface*Ride XC 30.9
Saddle: Fi'zi:k Nisene Sport w/magnese rail

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
what is the price for the X3

PErsonally, I like the specs of the X3 a bit more. However, I think I would get the cheaper bike. ...depending on the price differential.

Actually, I forgot that that the X3 has the new frame - which is lighter - and a bit more travel. 4.25 to 5in. Although my answer is still probably get the cheaper bike unlerss the X3 is less than $4-500 more

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to assume the '08 X3 is at least $500 more than the '07............

I'd go the '07.

For the sort of riding you are describing 4.2 inches is plenty and the spec looks great. I run the Recon forks and prefer them to fox forks. (that's just a personal thing)

If the price gap is under the $500 mark then I'd go the '08 X3.

Regarding your earlier thoughts of HT Vs Dually - go the dually. Over long distances your back and wrists will love you for it.