Urban Commuter: Cyclocross with flat bars or 29'er

subybee

Squid
I sold my car and want to build an urban commuter with form and function (ie that looks pretty and is sweet to ride). I have 3 mountain bikes and I am very comfortable with mountain bike geometry.

I test rode a single speed road bike (in my size) and as soon as I jumped on, I was uncomfortable (neck was at an awkward angle to look up at traffic). So that got me thinking about going steel 29'er with slicks. Around the city I still like to drop up and down curbs and tiny drops (ie 1 foot) so I figured a roadie would not handle that too well. Plus it used to rain in Melbourne (pre-drought) so I am thinking it will rain again maybe 1 day....and therefore disc brakes are on the shopping list.

I want to keep this thing pretty light and fast so I wondered if a cyclocross bike would be a better option with some flat bars or even a 1 inch bend? I figured a cyclocross frame would be lighter than a 29'er (even a high end one). I am going steel either way. So can you run disc brakes on a cyclocross frame - do they make'em that way?

At the moment I am tossing up a Niner MCR 9 (geared version - would go 1x9) in Reynolds 853 with rigid steel fork (and I'd find the lighest 29'er wheels) versus a cyclocross (have not even began researching them yet).

Any opinions and pointers to quality steel cyclocross frames appreciated. (I will buy frame and choose all parts...reasonable sized budget.)

So it is about weight and geometry of cyclocross versus high-end 29'er.:confused::D

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Just clearing a few things up just in case you are confused.

Firstly, the geometry between a 29er MTB and a CX bike is quite different. They are really a different breed altogether, however they mightn't seem like it on paper. A CX frame tends to be steeper in the head and seat-tube angles, shorter in the wheelbase, and your actual riding position in the bars is very different traditionally. I set people up similar to what they would be a road bike when it comes to the CX bike. Mountain bikes and 29ers go hand in hand when setting you up, with very upright body positions in comparison. The CX frame is going to be built up a bit lighter and with less flex built into the frame also. I like the idea of a CX frame because it is shorter, steeper, lighter and less flexy for commuting.
Note: Different manufacturers do different things with geometry!

A 29er wheelset and a 700c CX wheelset are practically the same. The only differences between the two will be that you get a wider profile rim on a dedicated 29er wheelset. There is no reason why you cant run a 29er rim in a CX bicycle, and no reason why you cant run very narrow tyres, or wider tyres on either rim. Do not go for the lightest 29er wheelset, some drop below 1500g and that is not a recipe for commuting and 1ft drops off stairs! Build up some 32 spoke wheels definitely!

Disc Brakes are definitely an option with CX bikes. In fact there are a whole bunch of manufacturers doing this on their stock bikes. Id definitely recommend to you a set of Avid BB7s; replacing cables instead of bleeding hoses is just much easier and more simple on a bike that will cop abuse during your commute. The reason you mightn't see disc brakes on high end race CX bikes is because they tend to use lightweight carbon road wheelsets with no provision for rotor mounts, or another reason might be the weight penalty.

Niners are beautiful. Reynolds 853 is beautiful. If your budget meets the pricepoint of this gear, go for gold! Other recommendations? Salsa La Cruz? Platinum OX tubing, gorgeous welds and paintwork, pretty individual, easy to get your hands on and disc mounts. I believe the retail price is around $1399 for frame and fork. Love my Salsa.
(http://www.salsacycles.com/laCruz08.html)

I work at Brunswick Street Cycles, and this stuff is kinda my thing. If you want to chat prices on gear, geometry, choices, whatever... go for it. I get pretty excited over custom 29ers and CX builds!

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
The reason you mightn't see disc brakes on high end race CX bikes is because they tend to use lightweight carbon road wheelsets with no provision for rotor mounts, or another reason might be the weight penalty.
Disc brakes are not permitted in CX races under the UCI rules which is why you wont find them on high end bikes.

subybee

Squid
Alchemist and LTR - thanks for the advice here. Appreciate it. I am a bike nut (MTB) so I think from the advice I may stick with MTB geometry. Niner sounds like the G-O. Budget is healthy because sold car and it was not a cheap car. Only worry now is locking it up around town (but I have a cheap GT Avalanche built-up with durable bits for that.) Would never leave Niner chained to a post!

Might have to pay a visit to BSC.....

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Disc brakes are not permitted in CX races under the UCI rules which is why you wont find them on high end bikes.
Well there you go... :p

Did you know that more than 5 Billion crayons are produced per year? And over 100 Billion since they were created. Amazing.

John U

MTB Precision
I sold my car and want to build an urban commuter with form and function (ie that looks pretty and is sweet to ride). I have 3 mountain bikes and I am very comfortable with mountain bike geometry.

I test rode a single speed road bike (in my size) and as soon as I jumped on, I was uncomfortable (neck was at an awkward angle to look up at traffic). So that got me thinking about going steel 29'er with slicks. Around the city I still like to drop up and down curbs and tiny drops (ie 1 foot) so I figured a roadie would not handle that too well. Plus it used to rain in Melbourne (pre-drought) so I am thinking it will rain again maybe 1 day....and therefore disc brakes are on the shopping list.

I want to keep this thing pretty light and fast so I wondered if a cyclocross bike would be a better option with some flat bars or even a 1 inch bend? I figured a cyclocross frame would be lighter than a 29'er (even a high end one). I am going steel either way. So can you run disc brakes on a cyclocross frame - do they make'em that way?

At the moment I am tossing up a Niner MCR 9 (geared version - would go 1x9) in Reynolds 853 with rigid steel fork (and I'd find the lighest 29'er wheels) versus a cyclocross (have not even began researching them yet).

Any opinions and pointers to quality steel cyclocross frames appreciated. (I will buy frame and choose all parts...reasonable sized budget.)

So it is about weight and geometry of cyclocross versus high-end 29'er.:confused::D
Excellent news that you sold your car and you want to put some of those funds into another bike. You can never have too many. It sounds like you want want 29'r or a CX bike, but if you are comfortable with mountain bike geometry why don't you try slicks on a mountain bike. You can also fit the larger wheels into a standard 26 inch frame if you go for a low profile tire. Then there is also the new 27.5 inch options with a more limited selected of frames.

Good luck shopping. Sounds like the world is your oyster right now.

If you need any Niner info let me know.

nsr077

Likes Dirt
Not wishing to tell you what to do but if you mabye get a cheaper 29er you could have your cyclocross bike as well.

Just a thought...

subybee

Squid
Not wishing to tell you what to do but if you mabye get a cheaper 29er you could have your cyclocross bike as well.

Just a thought...
I like your thinking.....my bike collection just keeps growing - 3 MTB's (1 Freeride/Dhill, 1 XCountry, 1 town bike (Hard tail MTB with slicks) + the wife has 2 MTBs (= 5 bikes). + Have 2 Dirtbikes...with motors! Last count was 22 wheels to deal with across cars and bikes. But selling a car makes it 18....gets me thinking....2 more bikes (29'er and CX) brings me back to 22 wheels....I am sure that argument will work for the wife!:D

JDB

Likes Dirt
I've been thinking of something similar, but mine is brought about selling car and moving to the UK for work. Not taking my mountain bikes with me, and don' think I'll be taking my current fixed gear commuter, thus giving me an excuse to buy a new bike. I'm thinking about a steel cyclocross frame, either Surly Cross Check of Voodoo Wazzoo and setting it up as a fixed gear bike for commuting around, with the option of getting into some cyclocross racing if the bug bites. Anyone have any experience with either of these bikes? Both look good, and would probably need to be uglied up a bit to make a good commuter.

Also anyone got input on a good fixed gear hub and rim combo for a big and graceless rider like me? Need something that will stand up to lots of road grime and the occasional splash in the mud.