URGENT!! New Computer & New USB drive problem!!

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I didn't post this in the Mac thread as I don't think it is specifically a Mac question and I need it answered ASAP.

To try and make a long story short, bought a new Macbook just the other day off the apple website. Also bought a 16gb 'Mac compatible' usb stick from Harvey Norman. Got a big one so I can transfer over all my music and pictures from my current laptop (Microsoft based Dell) and also to use as back up for pictures etc on my round the world trip that I leave on Friday for. I have copied all my music and pictures from current laptop onto the usb drive.

Basically what is happening is when I place the usb drive into the new macbook, then try and copy the music across into iTunes an error message comes up about 'access rights for the files' and then you can't exit out of the error message and then have to manually shut down the computer as it is frozen. Also sometimes you can't eject the usb stick as it says it is always busy even though there are no programs running. Basically a whole range of issues/errors occur that can all be narrowed down to this usb stick.

I have taken it into a Apple store who told me it was the USB's problem so I took the USB back to Harvey Norman and they basically said they can't get the USB to error on their Microsoft computers so they won't refund or warranty it but won't let me show them what it is doing on my Mac. They said to format it to Mac format but couldn't tell me what that was or how to do it. I have tried other USB drives on the Mac copying across the exact same music and it works fine so it has to be something to do with the USB. The usb in question does seem to work on my microsoft laptop as well so it is just a Mac issue I think.

So after that very lengthy explanation basically my question is do I have to format a USB to Mac format and if so how do you format a USB drive on a Mac? If anyone else can think of any solutions please let me know or else this stupid USB stick is getting thrown off the nearest/highest cliff I can find as I've had enough of it!!!

Thanks for reading all of that... even if you can't answer my question... :)

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perhaps the drive is NTFS formatted, try and reformat it to FAT32. I dont think it would affect copying from the usb TO the mac, but just incase.....

Go Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. From there select your drive, and then select erase and follow the instructions, making sure you select the FAT32 option.

Are you using it through a USB hub? That can cause issues as well due to power shortages......

lawno

Likes Bikes
formatting on a pc is quite easy its just completely wiping it of anything... so, insert the usb into the port on the computer (not the mac) bring up my computer, when the stick has loaded in and is usable.... right click on it and look for format, click the oh button (it might be a format or preoceed button) and wait... if this doesn't work google 'format mac drives'

EDIT: or just listen to ^^^^^^^

Last edited:

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Perhaps the drive is NTFS formatted, try and reformat it to FAT32. I dont think it would affect copying from the usb TO the mac, but just incase.....

Go Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. From there select your drive, and then select erase and follow the instructions, making sure you select the FAT32 option.

Are you using it through a USB hub? That can cause issues as well due to power shortages......
Pretty sure the usb stick was FAT32 already but will give it a format and see what happens. Also am plugging directly into the computer so not going through a hub.

Lawno, I formatted it on the pc but it didn't fix anything. Will try formatting it on the mac now. I'm pretty sure I've just got a dodgy USB stick. Fingers crossed though.

Thanks for the help though guys. Keep any more suggestions coming...

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Try formatting it on the Mac in FAT32 then copying the files over from the Windows PC. If you still have issues it sounds like a permissions problem you will need to right click the files/folder and change the permissions so all users have full access. What version of windows is on the old PC?

indica

Serial flasher
Copy the music to the macs hdd then into itunes. OR
Burn music to cd/dvd then load into itunes that way

you don't want fat32 for the mac ....

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Hey Indica, do you know what format I should format the USB to if I'm not meant to use FAT32?

I've tested it (16gb) against another new usb stick (4gb). I formatted my 16gb USB to FAT32 then copied the exact same pictures and music from my old PC onto both. I then tried copying the music from the 16gb one onto the mac. It copied a few songs then said I don't have sufficient access or privileges or some bollocks to copy the files. The pictures came up with an error saying the format of the pictures wasn't recognised.

Ok, so part 2 I put the 4gb stick into the Mac and tried copying the exact same pictures and music across and it did them all no worries. No messages about permissions or access rights or incompatible formats come up sooo....??

I'm pretty sure it is a glitch with the USB now. Will check what the format of the 4gb stick is though and see if I can see any differences there.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

edit: Just checked and the 4gb stick that seems to be working fine with the Mac is MS-DOS (Fat32) format which is the same as the 16gb so that shouldn't be the problem.

Last edited:

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Sounds like the USB stick is your culprit to me. The Mac will read FAT32 no worries, although somewhere in my head I do recall FAT32 support only going up to 16Gb. Perhaps format it again with a 15Gb partition and a 1Gb partition just to make sure thats not the problem.

Why not just use a network to transfer the files? You only need an ethernet cable.