USB TV Tuners?

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Looking at getting a USB tv tuner for the laptop soon, as a budget alternative to a DVR type machine. Looking at the typical ones around the $100 mark. A twin tuner would be a bonus but not essential.

I have poked around a few shops and come across such brands as Pinnacle, Kaiser Baas (which the guy at JB said were rubbish, not sure if that's correct) Leadtek and Gadget Geek. Have also come across the DigitalNow TinyTwin which can be bought direct from their website.

Interested to hear any feedback on these (or other suggestions) and what people would regard as a worthwhile buy. As well as the usual picture quality, etc concerns, keen to know if the included software is any good as well.

Cheers,
Matt

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you get something Leadtek, be ware that the software that comes bundled with it probably won't work.

I've got a Leadtek card in my PC and it works great with Windows Media Centre, but not at all with the packaged software.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I have the EyeTV diversity. It has a dual digital tuner and does HD. It's more than $100 but the eyeTV software is great. It comes on the cheaper versions also. If you go with any digital tuner I can almost guarantee that the little antenna supplied will be absolutely useless. Just don't expect to be able to receive many (if any) channels unless you live right near a transmitter. Plugged into the antenna at home and it work flawlessly.

Likes Dirt
I have a FusionHDTV tuner (bought from the local computer fair), but I have not bothered installing the software on my current laptop. I had it on my old one and ever since the install, I would get the blue screen of death far too often. Many a time I would turn it on and start up the program, to get BSOD, or if I left it recording, BSOD! Aside from that, it was very handy and provided a good picture and reception with only a little antenna.
So yeah... maybe avoid Fusion haha

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

vtwiz, are the EyeTV ones just for Apple Macs? I looked them up and didn't see anything for a PC. (Should have mentioned in my original post that this was for a PC, sorry!)

And yeah I'll avoid anything Fusion too, thanks for the heads up!

Any other opinions out there?

Matt

placebo

Likes Dirt
I got an Eye TV diversity for my mac mini htpc. Plugged it into my dell laptop and win7 found it, installed drivers and had no problems using it in windows media centre.

nvd20l

Likes Bikes
I got an Eye TV diversity for my mac mini htpc. Plugged it into my dell laptop and win7 found it, installed drivers and had no problems using it in windows media centre.
+1 for the EyeTV. I used it with my mac mini also. Worked a treat and easy for anyone to use.