using a glory frame for an all mountain/ XC bike build

topic

Likes Dirt
ive got a 2012 glory just laying around in the shed and wondering if i would be able to build it up into an all mountain/XC bike
or is the geo just to slack for it to work. has anyone else done this? does it ride good enough now? what forks and other parts would you build it up with on the cheap????

clockworked

Like an orange
It probably won't be great. Say you wanted to shorten the angles a little by putting a shorter fork on it, you might find that the already low bottom bracket could be too low to ride enjoyably (rock strike etc). the maestro linkage on giant's bigger bikes is designed to ride with a little longer sag than would be brilliant for a cross country bike.

You might be better off swapping frames with some grommet who has bought a shorter travel bikes and wants to get into downhill

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yes, you can build it but it will be heavy, expensive and eat more dick than Moorey. Much better to sell/swap the frame for a 5-6 inch travel frame and go from there.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
experimentation is fun

I recently came across a thread (I can't remember where) discussing a very similar project. Instead of using the glory, the participants claimed to be rebuilding the Santa Cruz VPfree as all mountain bikes. 160mm up front and then a wide variety of variations to the rest of the bike. All were raving about them being awesome.

I personally ran a Norco atomic with Fox van 160s a few years ago and really enjoyed it (until it was thieved by a local gasser) and have owned an old style glory with totems. I couldn't imagine that going below a 160mm fork would be advisable though. So for AM/light freeride you might get lucky. Worst case scenario is that you don't like it and then trade the frame. And probably a 150mm rear wheel as well.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
ive got a 2012 glory just laying around in the shed and wondering if i would be able to build it up into an all mountain/XC bike
or is the geo just to slack for it to work. has anyone else done this? does it ride good enough now? what forks and other parts would you build it up with on the cheap????
I did this for a while but not by choice (it was my only ride).

I had an 07 Glory 0 (freeride version). It had Marz 66 ATA 180mm which I could lower on the fly to 140mm. That made a world of difference. I also used a bigger lb spring to reduce the immediate travel. Was heavy and a pig to pedal.

Ideally to make it trail worthy, new wheels, cranks (mine had heavy raceface ones) etc would have cost too much to the point I just sold it and went for a smaller travel ride and built it up burly

MARKL

Eats Squid
...the participants claimed to be rebuilding the Santa Cruz VPfree as all mountain bikes. 160mm up front and then a wide variety of variations to the rest of the bike. All were raving about them being awesome.
'Vital MTB, Vital MTB, Vital MTB'...One of the greatest manufacturer product videos of all time explaining why the Driver 8 is not a VP Free replacement:pound::pound::pound: http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/2010-Santa-Cruz-Driver-8,494/sspomer,2'its an 8 inch travel bike that ways 40 pounds its going to suck to pedal'.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
[video=youtube;umDr0mPuyQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc[/video]

will20b

Squid
XC Glory

I know a bloke who XCs his stock Glory. He's been known to do 35 km / 780 vertical meters rides around Red Hill. I think he might commute on it too!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
You don't need much,,,, wide range cassette, front ring to suit, dropper post and WILL power..haha.

At the end of the day you feel pretty much the same, just slower. I don't have any probs getting round on a V10, 9sp 11-34(back) 35(front).

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
After reading the stupid questions thread, I have a slab of corona I'm willing to let go. :thumb: