Using DOT5 (Silicone) in Shimano Hydraulic Brakes

Has anyone actually tried putting DOT5 (silicone fluid as used in some motorbikes and performance cars - as oposed to DOT 3, 4, 5.1 glycols) in shimano hydraulic brakes.

I realise shimano say to use their oil, and have read all the posts saying not to put other fluids in - just asking if anyone has actually tried silicone DOT5 fluid?

c0de

Likes Bikes
Has anyone actually tried putting DOT5 (silicone fluid as used in some motorbikes and performance cars - as oposed to DOT 3, 4, 5.1 glycols) in shimano hydraulic brakes.

I realise shimano say to use their oil, and have read all the posts saying not to put other fluids in - just asking if anyone has actually tried silicone DOT5 fluid?
i thought all shimano brakes use mineral oil?

DOT fluid is corrosive, would destroy your brakes if it is meant to use mineral oil.

S.

ex offender
It'll wreck all your seals in about half an hour, the rubber they use is not compatible with DOT fluid.

I'm not talking about standard DOT fluid (glycols) which are extremely corosive, im talking about Silicon DOT5 fluid - which you could polish your frame with if you felt like it.

Has anyone tried it?

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you know if it improves the feel of the brakes? Does anyone have first hand experience of doing it?
I didn't pick up any noticable difference of the one I tried.

It may be worth noting too that if you are going to try it you may want to start with a new dry brake lever and hose than to spend time cleaning out the old minieral oil and avoid contanimation of your DOT 5 fluid.

Any reason why you want to try DOT 5? Mineral oil in Shimano brakes does work very well...

udi

swiss cheese
I wouldn't suggest it, DOT5 (silicone) is known to have a higher dissolved air quantity than other fluids, so it leads to a spongier feel. In my eyes it will result in a loss of performance with no tangible benefit.

If you want to try something cool and new, pick up some Redline Likewater (0wt) synthetic suspension fluid. I can guarantee it works, as I've run it in the past in saints (for a full season), and just spent 2 weeks in the swiss alps with a front saint running on the stuff. It's a lighter fluid so the lever action is marginally lighter, and is very easy to bleed with.

That said, the genuine shimano mineral oil is great anyway, and apart from trying the above suggestion for giggles (it's not cheaper, it's expensive - for the record), I'd advise sticking with the genuine stuff.

Pitto

Likes Dirt
because mineral oil [from the chemist] is not the same viscosity as the shimano stuff.

stick with the genuine stuff.

Pitto

Likes Dirt
from another website

Shimano Mineral Oil
Mineral oil is a great alternative to DOT Brake fluid. Mineral oil is not caustic and is non-toxic, but the main performance advantage to the rider is that mineral oil will not absorb water from the air like DOT fluid will. This absorbed water causes gas bubbles to form in the system which creates a 'sprongy' feel. While researching for a replacement oil to the hyper-expensive SM-DB-OIL Shimano Mineral Oil for Disk Brake($18.95 for 50ml., #Y-839 98010)(Red Color), I have found:​
Pentosin central hydraulic fluid is one option. Either of LHM Plus or CHF 7.1(No. 54106) will work fine. LHM Plus & CHF 7.1 are rated at 18 cSt@40C/6.0 cSt@100C/VI 340. This is slightly thinner than the Castrol, so it may work even better in Shimano brakes. Pentosin is supplied in the hydraulic systems of most German and European cars, most notably as BMW and Audi power steering fluid. Consult a local dealer about availability. Do not use CHF 11S with as it is a synthetic oil. CHF 7.1 should run about $15 per liter. I think that Pentosin CHF 7.1 is probably the best improvement that can be made to the Shimano brakes. (Green Color)​
Castrol Hydraulic System Mineral Oil (HSMO) ($13.99, 500ml., Jaguar # JLM-9886 or Castrol # 6582/5966 01) or Castrol Hydraulic System Mineral Oil Plus (HSMO Plus). This mineral oil is used in some british cars, like Jaguar and Rolls Royce, in the suspension, and brake assist systems. It is not readily available in the US but it can be found at a Jaguar dealer parts counter. This oil is rated at 19.8 cSt@40C/6.0 cSt@100C/VI 285. A data sheet is available HERE. (Green Color)​
It is very important to note that while the above two fluids are used as power steering fluids, they are very different than conventional power steering fluids or ATFs available in most auto stores. Conventional power steering fluid or ATF is almost twice as viscous as these mineral oils and may be incompatible with the seals used in the system. Use of other fluids would be a serious mistake.​
Magura supplies low viscosity MAGURA Royal Blood and Royal Blue Blood mineral oil. A 16oz. container costs $15.00 while a 2oz. container costs $4.00. (Blue Color) (reported to be 10wt. but it is probably more like 5-6wt.))​
Another option (in an emergency) is to use a suspension fluid such as Motul Fork Oil (Light), RockShox (5w Medium, Hydracoil), Bardahl (5w Fork Oil), Bel-Ray Fork Oil (5wt), or Kayaba KYB (01). These may work fine in a jam. Make sure not to use any synthetic fluids. Replace with the proper fluid when you get home. The low viscosity index (VI) of these fluids are not suitable for the heat range that the brake system will experience.​
DO NOT USE MINERAL OIL FROM THE DRUGSTORE!!!! What you are buying at the drugstore is a laxative, not a specific industrial oil. This oil does not have the specific viscosities (up to 3X too thick) or additives for perfect functionality with a hydraulic system. A MSDS for drug store mineral oil is available HERE. If you were in a jam and just had to use this crap, use Drakeol® 10 or 10B, [FONT=helvetica, arial]Ultraol[/FONT] 100NF.​
This is what Magura says about drugstore mineral oil:​
What type of oil should I use in my Magura hydraulic brakes?​
Magura Blood mineral oil is the recommended oil, which is a 10 weight mineral oil. By far, our most common problem we encounter is consumers putting off-the-shelf mineral oil (from a drug store) in their Magura hydraulic brakes. Off-the-shelf mineral oil is normally 30-50 weight which will make the brake very sluggish. In addition, off-the-shelf mineral oil has additives, perfumes and different boiling points, all of which can cause brake failure. USE ONLY MAGURA BLOOD IN YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM. Use of any other fluid besides Magura Blood mineral oil will void your warranty. (HERE)​
HERE is an article on basic hydraulic system theory.​

aasr

Likes Dirt
I haven't tried it personally but Dot 5 silicon fluid apparently works fine in Shimano brakes.
2nd that a mate of mine has done it to his saints they work fine :) and it was about a year ago when he did it.
Why not just use mineral oil?
might just be because i could be a tight ass but for a 1L of Dot 5 or Dot4 i payed $10

and my bro has saints so he payed $20 for 500ml of Mineral oil

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
2nd that a mate of mine has done it to his saints they work fine :) and it was about a year ago when he did it.

might just be because i could be a tight ass but for a 1L of Dot 5 or Dot4 i payed $10

and my bro has saints so he payed $20 for 500ml of Mineral oil
Its going to cost alot more than 20 bucks to fix your brakes after you run the wrong oil through it.

aasr

Likes Dirt
Its going to cost alot more than 20 bucks to fix your brakes after you run the wrong oil through it.
as is said is a mate of mine not me so it wont cost me any think :rolleyes: and he did it a year ago i would of thought that the dot5/4 would of eaten away at the seal by now but the still work fine (but iam not saying you should go and put dot 5/4 in your shimano brakes just because in can work)

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
as is said is a mate of mine not me so it wont cost me any think :rolleyes: and he did it a year ago i would of thought that the dot5/4 would of eaten away at the seal by now but the still work fine (but iam not saying you should go and put dot 5/4 in your shimano brakes just because in can work)
DOT 5 and DOT 4 are not interchangeable, as a few people in this thread have mentioned - DOT 5 is silicone based (and I've never even seen it for sale), whereas DOT 4 is glycol based, and the most commonly used brake fluid in cars and motorbikes.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
DOT 5 and DOT 4 are not interchangeable, as a few people in this thread have mentioned - DOT 5 is silicone based (and I've never even seen it for sale), whereas DOT 4 is glycol based, and the most commonly used brake fluid in cars and motorbikes.
Dont the avid all avid brakes have "use dot 5 or dot 5" printed on them though??? or am i mistaken???

S.

ex offender
Dont the avid all avid brakes have "use dot 5 or dot 5" printed on them though??? or am i mistaken???
Close - they can use DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 which are all glycol based, but DOT 5 and 5.1 are not actually compatible, because DOT 5 is silicone based. Retarded naming system, I know.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
Close - they can use DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 which are all glycol based, but DOT 5 and 5.1 are not actually compatible, because DOT 5 is silicone based. Retarded naming system, I know.
Yer i thought i was wrong just wasnt to sure. Thanks for clearing that up