Using maths equation to jump

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
I just thought i should let you know that specific gravity is a ratio of the density of a substance compared to the density of water so i don't think that this is really relevant to jumping. also you probably wouldn't have much rolling resistance when your flying through the air.

dick

Likes Dirt
gliss said:
Below is the projectile motion equation to determine the object's flying distance. It's pretty handy to get an idea on how fast you have to pedal to clear a jump but it's not dead accurate since there's many other factors that doesn't come into the equation, such as body movement, etc...

u(squared)SIN(*)2/9.8 = your horizontal range. sorry, cant have squared sign

key:
u= your initial speed in metres per second, you have to divide your speedo reading by 3.6 to convert km/h to m/s

(*)= your take-off angle. Not the angle of the ramp (remember that when your suspension compress the take off angle is much shallower than the ramp angle)

For example:
You're goin at 25km/h
take off angle is 30degrees.
Initial speed of 25/3.6=7 metres per second

7x7xSIN30x2/9.8=5metres .So 25km/h will clear a 5m gap lip to lip.

Don't blame me if you happen to land short. It's only a general approximation
you have to much time on you hands. thats the most useless piece of shit i have ever seen. dont be a nerd, just do the jump straight off. then at least theres no need to take a graphics calculator down to the jumps.

jamiejac

Likes Bikes
I think go with what feels right, don't try and work the sh!t out just use trial and error but by saying this i mean by hitting the jump not with your calculations..........

But then again what do i know..........

HAHAHAHA

Keep it real

Jamiejac

wombat

Lives in a hole
dick said:
dont be a nerd
Yeah, because all the jocks will come and beat you up :roll:

Kind of on the same topic though, has anybody heard Dr. Karl talk about Beckham, and the way his mind works when he "bends" a ball? The tests they carried out show that he is subconsciously doing very complex differential calculus calculations, despite the fact that he has no idea how to do basic calculus operations on paper.
Everytime you throw or catch a ball you're doing calculus, you just don't know it. I guess that makes us all "nerds"?

Shaun

Likes Dirt
wombat said:
dick said:
dont be a nerd

Kind of on the same topic though, has anybody heard Dr. Karl talk about Beckham, and the way his mind works when he "bends" a ball? The tests they carried out show that he is subconsciously doing very complex differential calculus calculations, despite the fact that he has no idea how to do basic calculus operations on paper.
Everytime you throw or catch a ball you're doing calculus, you just don't know it. I guess that makes us all "nerds"?
nope, just human :lol:

all this physics stuff is pretty intertesting, i do it at school, but when it comes to jumps you just gotta hit the fuckin thing.

dick

Likes Dirt
wombat said:
dick said:
dont be a nerd

i really dont think you can do subconcious calculus. i dont think its calculus if you dont know your doing it.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dick said:
i really dont think you can do subconcious calculus. i dont think its calculus if you dont know your doing it.
How do you know there isn't a better, simpler way of doing calculus than the stuff we do on paper, and our brains are already doing it?

Observing the arc of something, and its rate of change, and computing the future points is just that - calculus (well, one type of calculus). You just aren't seeing it described in a coarse symbolic way with squiggly lines and greek letters.

S.

ex offender
It's kind of like saying the human brain is the most powerful computer on earth (which I do believe it is) - the amount of subconscious calculations and multitasking it does is phenomenal. Your brain basically converts the equivalent of binary computer code (ie where everything is either yes or no) into incredibly complex movements involving unbelievable amounts of mathematics, in billions of calculations per second (estimation: may not be correct). But it's like having a bomb timer with no big red digital readout, if you can't see it, it's hard to perceive whether it's there.

wombat

Lives in a hole
dick said:
its doing it on paper that is calculus.
Not really. "Calculus" is just the name we've given to the mathematical method. Whichever way you carry out the method, it's still calculus.

farley

Likes Dirt
way too much time. makes you think though. best way do do a jump is to just hit it straight up. its this elemeny of doubt that makes it all the more fun

thewayitis

Likes Dirt
the only reason i do physics is to find out how to go fast and how to make jumps...... thanks for the formula...... i put it to use with the dirtjumps in my front yard..... (thanks dad!!!)

sich nich

Likes Dirt

we worked out for this roadgap that u needed 55kmh to make the trannie.
trannie is good too as u can work out angles from vector diagrams from yr11 physics, as well as projectile motion equations. our one was easy to work out coz it has a flat takeoff. but the run up wasnt all that much chop and the 55kmh was a dream. so we never attempted it.
this physics can only be used as a guide for gaps as there are so many diff variables too hard to take into account. it would be pointless to work out this stuff for small gaps, but this one is stupid for our capabilities, so we used our school shit to work it out. turns out it would be safer to abandon it than to punch our foreheads into out stems on the tar road.
as mentioned before, if in doubt, go faster.[/img]