UST rim options for XC

muvro

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Just wondering what rim options are out there that are under 400g.

I currently run Mavic XC717 rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs.

The reason I want to change is I am always getting leaks around the valve hole. The 717 comes with a 9mm hole and I run a FRM tubeless conversion kit with a French valve. The problem is the valve isn't wide enough to properly seal the hole. I've tried an extra layer of rubber under the valve, poly-urethane glue and a few other things, but they keep leaking. Added to that, the rubber tubeless strips and the tape all add weight. So looking to drop weight and ditch the leaks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Landon

Likes Dirt
Tubeless Rims

have a look at the stans notubes rims.ie. crest/arch etc
Yes, these are certainly worth looking at and would most likely be your best choice.

You have to move to a Crossmax SLR to get a UST rim under 400g. I think the SLR rim was around 350g when I last built one.

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
I run fulcrum red metal 5's and would recommend. They are fairly light and durable as. I burped a non UST tyre on my hardtail off a 2-3ft drop and did phase the wheel. Still true as the day I got it. I think they set weighs in at 1700g and they are sub $1k. One point crc had centrelock version for $550.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run Stans Arch (they're a smaller width xc version of the Flow) on my 4" xc bike which gets an absolute beating sometimes and love them. Very stiff, and still dead true.

If you wanted slightly lighter you could even go a Crest as they're the same profile just without the internal bracing.

They're not a true tubeless but you just run the Stans Yellow Tape and this makes them pretty much the same.

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Rims

Agree with the Stans range for tubeless rims. I've used all of their rims in various builds in the past and everyone has been happy with them. I've used the Stans yellow tape and never had a problem getting the tyre inflated and staying inflated. The rim you want though will depend on what type of riding you do and your weight. Eg, the heavier and more aggressive riding you do then the heavier the rim you will require.

0psi

Eats Squid
+ 1 for Stans. Be weary about the SLRs if you decide to go down that road, they aren't very strong. I'm a lightweight and very easy on parts but still managed to kill an SLR rim. Another shitty thing is they don't seem to like having dings pulled out of the sidewalls, the old rag and a shifter doesn't work too well with the milled sidewall, it just cracks along the milling. Another downside is that replacement rims are nearly $400 and you have to get them through your LBS, no cheapy online bargains to be had and from memory spokes are like $15 each but you have to buy a 'kit' :mad:

However they are an awesome wheel when they work, especially if you swap the freehub bushing to an aftermarket bearing which gets rid of that annoying freehub drag.

I'm sticking with mine for the moment purely because I already have them. If I were to do it again I'd be going with a Stans rim, DT aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray spokes and DT 240 or XTR hubs. It will be just as stiff, maginally stonger but lighter and much easier to live with. Plus hand built wheels just plain rock.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input guys.

A couple more questions.

The rims will be going on my Carbon Rush and it's only used for XC Enduro/racing. I'm pretty easy on my rims, generally speaking. I weigh 80kg race ready.

What model in the Stans range do you think is suitable?

How heavy are the Stans yellow rims strips? I don't really want to go to the hassle and expense of changing rims, if the combo (rim and tubeless rim strip) isn't any lighter.

0psi

Eats Squid
Olympics get my vote or maybe the Crests if you want something a bit more durable.

Rim strips weight bugger all, a few grams but given the silly light weights of the Stans rims it doesn't really matter.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Sweet, thanks for that. :)

The rims strips I currently run are rubber and maybe a smidge thicker than tubes. So, considerably weighty, just hoping the Stans ones were not the same. lol

Cheers

0psi

Eats Squid
No, they are like a thin clothy papery type thing. There is a rubber strip you can use as well but I don't know anyone that's bothered, the yellow tape works just fine by itself, plus you need to use the yellow tape anyway when using a rubber rim strip.