UST tyre recomendation

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Have got an Anthem X2 with Kenda small block 8s and really don't like them. Out of control in the dry gravelly stuff at the moment. Like the low rolling resistance but terrible on the corners.

Any recommendations on a light fast UST XC tyre that corners well? Mainly for loose dry trails, fire trails and road.

Also suggestions for cheap online suppliers would be good if I can't get them at the LBS.

nelo784

Likes Bikes
I haven't tried Larsens for years, but I remember them being like the small block eights i.e. dangerous on corners, particularly when used as a front tyre.
Yeah, I agree. I now go Larsens on the rear and Ignitors on the front. I find this is a nice balance and great for general trails and mixed riding.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Do they have to be UST? You could try the High Roller in the 2.1 Exception Series - they will grip and are very light.

akashra

Eats Squid
Undoubtedly the two best tyres I've used for gravel conditions would have to be the Maxxis ADvantage and the Hutchinson Barracuda. They both have a very similar tread pattern, however the ADvantage is designed for extremely muddy conditions (in which I've tested them and had very positive results).

Downside is anything that handles gravel like that isn't terribly great on soft soil edges.

Both are available in a UST tyre (with the ADvantage available as an eXCeption kevlar tyre too), but I'd highly recommend you give the ADvantage a look.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I ride the same sort of conditions and have just changed my rear to a SB8 and I like it- drifts predictably and rolls much faster than the old Larsen TT did. On the front I run a single ply Minion 2.35 SR which is great, but its fairly heavy (~800g). If i wanted something lighter I'd be running a 2.25 Ardent or a 2.35 Ignitor- both are going to be better than an SB8 on the front (in fact, just about any tyre will be, save for maybe a Larsen TT).

hillrider

Likes Bikes
I don't bother with UST tyres due to the extra weight and price. I mainly run a crossmark on the rear and a monorail on the front and find it a real good combination. Also stick a crossmark on the front at times.

I'd like to go with the Racing Ralphs, but I like to run the same tyres on my training wheels and they are to expensive for me as a training tyre.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice everyone. Thought I'd check the LBS and surprisingly they had a few Maxxis LUST tyres in stock. Finally decided on the Monorail for the front and Crossmark for the rear. Just fitted them and it was a piece of cake - no leaks and only used a hand pump. They are both a lot thinner than the SB8s (all supposed to be 2.1") but due to their shape I reckon they'll dig in on the corners a lot better. Time will tell.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Undoubtedly the two best tyres I've used for gravel conditions would have to be the Maxxis ADvantage and the Hutchinson Barracuda. They both have a very similar tread pattern, however the ADvantage is designed for extremely muddy conditions (in which I've tested them and had very positive results).

Downside is anything that handles gravel like that isn't terribly great on soft soil edges.

Both are available in a UST tyre (with the ADvantage available as an eXCeption kevlar tyre too), but I'd highly recommend you give the ADvantage a look.
I have to agree with you on the Barracuda. It's an excellent tyre for sand and gravel.

Continental Protection Vertical Pro UST http://www.chainreactioncycles.com./Models.aspx?ModelID=18864. Fantastic in the gravel and mud as it has very predictable handling and the rolling resistance isn't too bad on hardpack and rock. A wee bit heavy though in the UST version.

Maxxis High Roller XC UST http://www.chainreactioncycles.com./Models.aspx?ModelID=7134. Great tyre for loose gravel and sandy conditions due to the paddle like knobs. Hopeless on hardpack and rock as those paddle like knobs just squirm and get worn down very quickly. Tends to have a bit of a dead zone just off centre before the side ramps dig in.
eek! I have tried the Maxxis High Roller XC UST 2.1 and found it had little to no cornering in the sand and gravel. It also seems ridiculously thin for a 2.1 . Maxxis seem to have changed the profile of the tyre in from the popular 2.3 non-ust to the 2.1 ust tyre.

I have also found Maxxix LUST tyres to be particurlarly prone to sidewall punctures from rocks, and are generally hard to seal on a rim with a handpump. The Hutchy and Michy UST's that I have seem to seal easier.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
eek! I have tried the Maxxis High Roller XC UST 2.1 and found it had little to no cornering in the sand and gravel. It also seems ridiculously thin for a 2.1 . Maxxis seem to have changed the profile of the tyre in from the popular 2.3 non-ust to the 2.1 ust tyre.
Whoops! I have to admit I haven't used the UST version and was just going off of my experiences with the 2.3 which works great in the loose stuff. I've chanegd my post accordingly.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Just reporting back on how the Monorail (F) and Crossmark (R) 2.1" LUST tyres are going.

In a word - awesome.

Where I was skidding around in loose gravel over hard pack with the Kenda Small block 8s, I was tracking fine with the new tyre combo. They roll quite quick and I couldn't detect any difference in rolling resistance compared to the SB8s. The only downside was the grip going over logs - the tiny spacing between the centre blocks in the crossmark meant it was very hard to get purchase. Just have to be little more careful, that's all.

Also, the tyres were easy to fit. Pumped up with a handpump no problems and haven't lost too much air since I put the on.

I'll be sticking with this setup for the foreseeable future, I reckon.

Travvy43

Likes Bikes
I am running the hutchy Scorpian on the front and back. Find that they are good in the loose gravel/ granetic sand type surfaces however their grip on hard surfaces (ie granite rocks and the chook wire on wall rides and things like that) could improve.