Ust

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
I gather that TR and TE aren't a great idea on UST rims.
There doesn't seem to be many UST tyres out there though.
I'd like to go thin on this bike and 27.5x2.10 tyres don't seem to exist.
Anyone seen any?

Cheers.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I gather that TR and TE aren't a great idea on UST rims.
What gives you that idea? The only thing that makes UST rims different to standard rims is the little ridge on the internal shoulder to lock the beads in place (usually they're a sealed/non drilled [except for valve hole] inner wall as well, but not necessarily). Any tyres will fit UST rims.

moorey

call me Mia
UST on tyres is code for 'heavy as fuck'. Some 2.1 high end UST tyres came on an xc bike I bought. When I swapped them out I weighed them. Something like 900b each.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
UST on tyres is code for 'heavy as fuck'. Some 2.1 high end UST tyres came on an xc bike I bought. When I swapped them out I weighed them. Something like 900b each.
What does 1b equal in grams?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Some rudimentary internetery.
I thought I read on Schwarbles website that you shouldn't mix and match.

So you're saying any tubeless tyres, preferably not UST, will work on UST rims then.
I'm saying any tyres will work on UST rims. The main difference between UST & "tubeless ready" tyres is that UST have an airtight barrier layer in the casing which, in theory at least, means the tyres can be run without sealant, but usually it's still needed. TLR tyres have the beefier beads to lock into the rims, but not the barrier layer, so absolutely need sealant to fill the pores in the tyre wall.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
I'm saying any tyres will work on UST rims. The main difference between UST & "tubeless ready" tyres is that UST have an airtight barrier layer in the casing which, in theory at least, means the tyres can be run without sealant, but usually it's still needed. TLR tyres have the beefier beads to lock into the rims, but not the barrier layer, so absolutely need sealant to fill the pores in the tyre wall.
Great info, cheers mate.
I'm assuming when you say 'any tyre' you mean any tubeless system tyre, or will my schwalbe smart sam's work on my UST rims?

Cheers guys.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great info, cheers mate.
I'm assuming when you say 'any tyre' you mean any tubeless system tyre, or will my schwalbe smart sam's work on my UST rims?

Cheers guys.
Any tyre should mount up no worries, it's more about how well it seals after that. Im using non ust maxxis tyres on one bike, mounting was fine, but the sidewalls were quite porous so it took a bit of effort and stans to get then to seal.

A quick Google tells me people have been running non ust smart Sam's successfully.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
Yeah, seems you can get Smart Sams UST as well.

I'm wondering if there's any advantage of tubeless tyres on UST rims over non.

I'll hold off getting some tubeless tyres and then give it go without sealant first to see if they hold.

Nice one, cheers.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will absolutely need sealant for non UST tyres, and I would still use sealant on UST tyres as well, it helps deal with any small cuts or thorn holes you might get along the way.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
You will absolutely need sealant for non UST tyres, and I would still use sealant on UST tyres as well, it helps deal with any small cuts or thorn holes you might get along the way.
Yeah totally. I just meant trying to inflate them first to see if they hold, then add sealant if they do. Saves making a mess if they're not going to hold.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah totally. I just meant trying to inflate them first to see if they hold, then add sealant if they do. Saves making a mess if they're not going to hold.
I found tubeless tyres to actually inflate and seal a lot easier on UST rims than on tubeless rims.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Great info, cheers mate.
No, when I say "any tyre", I literally mean any tyre! I ran "non-tubeless" bog-standard folding bead Crossmarks tubeless on UST rims for a couple of years. Biggest issue with non-tubeless tyres is the beads are generally quite loose, so getting them to seat and seal initially is the hard part. Once they were on I had no problems.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
No, when I say "any tyre", I literally mean any tyre! I ran "non-tubeless" bog-standard folding bead Crossmarks tubeless on UST rims for a couple of years. Biggest issue with non-tubeless tyres is the beads are generally quite loose, so getting them to seat and seal initially is the hard part. Once they were on I had no problems.
Good to know mate, thank you.
I'm not going to be thrashing this bike anyway but this gives me some confidence. I'll use a tubeless pump so hopefully that will give me a good head start.

I gather there should be some advantage for tubeless tyres over non however.