Vandalism at Smiths Gully

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
There have been small spots of damage of the human kind to existing trails and obstacles over the last few years but nothing like this.

To the prick who vandalized the log rollover on the Lower Midden at Smiths Gully, WTF are you doing? You have never done any work out there and because you don't know how to ride you chop out the guts of the log rollover so you can get through? Why not ride around, why not learn, this is not a baby area, footpath or flat-track, it's a technical riding area full of challenges.

I don't give a shit what your reason, you did not build it, so leave it the fuck alone!

You are not worthy of being allowed to Mtb when you damage trails. You can bring out tools to cause damage but you don't volunteer time to help look after the area, that is just wrong.

You have just shit on all the people who have given their time for over 12 years out here. I will have to fix the mess and vandalism you have done and give up more riding time in doing so.

You need to own up, and then you WILL be made to do work out there, the right way, and you will need to apologize to everyone.

Do you even realize the damage you have done and disrespect you have shown?

You fuck-knuckle bastard!

hilo

Likes Bikes
Hey Mars (saw the FB post as well with the pic)

Any chance it could be some locals (walkers, horse riders, etc.) or even Parks folks? There were a bunch of rangers out around there I believe, at least from what I have read this week.

You see, I am a really crappy mountain biker (unskilled, at least) and I would never dream of damaging a trail--I would think it was someone that purposefully went out to do something to piss off mountain bikers. I could be wrong, of course, but it looked like axe damage (?I am guessing?)--riding with an axe seems unlikely.

As an avid SG rider for the last two years, I never really questioned the legal status of the trails--but if you folks need some help with the trails or with community stuff happening to ensure this doesn't escalate into a MTBers vs locals argy bargy, just PM me. Not sure where to help out--just joined the FB group within the last 2 weeks.

Hilo

PS wasn't it a few years ago that someone had strung some wire around as well? My aging memory could be faulty.

jossa

Likes Bikes
There have been small spots of damage of the human kind to existing trails and obstacles over the last few years but nothing like this.

To the prick who vandalized the log rollover on the Lower Midden at Smiths Gully, WTF are you doing? You have never done any work out there and because you don't know how to ride you chop out the guts of the log rollover so you can get through? Why not ride around, why not learn, this is not a baby area, footpath or flat-track, it's a technical riding area full of challenges.

I don't give a shit what your reason, you did not build it, so leave it the fuck alone!

You are not worthy of being allowed to Mtb when you damage trails. You can bring out tools to cause damage but you don't volunteer time to help look after the area, that is just wrong.

You have just shit on all the people who have given their time for over 12 years out here. I will have to fix the mess and vandalism you have done and give up more riding time in doing so.

You need to own up, and then you WILL be made to do work out there, the right way, and you will need to apologize to everyone.

Very well put.

Sad really.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey Big D, yep, not happy, very disappointed, I do not understand the logic or lack thereof.

G'day Hilo, I did think about others doing it, but horse riders can go around but don't use those tracks and like us most are really good people, walkers can safely navigate over, and runners love the xc feel they get on the tracks is what they have said. I don't reckon Rangers because there is much work going on to formalize the network, why would they wreck one rollover? Only leaves a pretend Mtbkr that I reckon has dropped the bike over the top because of the wet, been scared about hitting it next time out so they made it baby safe.

But now it is worse, it is a derailleur eater and a flat edge that will be like a slippery deck that will have the potential to do harm to riders.

About 15 months ago someone put wire about neck high across bits of track down Ridge Rd. Why? I just don't understand the poison of mindset in a poofteenth of 1% of people that spoil things for everyone.

I don't do FB myself but you can see the damage on the Smiths Gully Mountain Bike FB page where Benny has posted the pic.

monc

Likes Dirt
That really sucks!

Is that the one that lay across a reasonably sloping hillside?

There were a bunch of trailbike riders out on the single track in that area (if it's the rollover I think you're talking about) a couple of weeks ago. They would be the group most likely to have trouble going around it/walk their bikes over it.

hilo

Likes Bikes
That really sucks!

Is that the one that lay across a reasonably sloping hillside?

There were a bunch of trailbike riders out on the single track in that area (if it's the rollover I think you're talking about) a couple of weeks ago. They would be the group most likely to have trouble going around it/walk their bikes over it.
Yeah that would be my guess, some yobbo like that rather than someone who rides an MTB (no offense, Mars--but I find it hard to believe a noobie MTBer would act in such a way). There have been sightings of motocrossers around there.

Didn't get a chance to get out this morning to check it out, royal drenching overnight + a warm bed + Wattle Festival to deal with today!

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
No offense taken Hilo, I based my call on what riders have been doing to the YT network to make things easier, there they have removed obstacles that had been in place for many years.

So monc, to clarify, by trail bikes you mean motorbike/motox riders? I would never have thought this as an option at SG.

If correct, that's all we need, a lazy, freeloading scurge of motorized vandals destroying the trails.

monc

Likes Dirt
Yep - the motorised kind - they were in the area just down from the end of Rob Roy rd, there were a few tyre tracks on the singletrack, but we saw them where the single track comes off one of the 4wd tracks - it suprised me too, as I would have thought that the singletrack at SG would be too tight.

Anyway, my husband saw the cut in the rollover a couple of weekends ago, and said it was too narrow to be of benefit to a trail bike, and looked like a really bodgy job that made it much more difficult to line up the log properly.

Hope whoever did it gets caught and made to do some beneficial trail remediation.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mars and other SG riders have every right to be pissed.

I remember something similar happening at Silvan a few years ago. There was a technical section which required great skill to maneuver through. All it was was the ends of two big logs which you had to ride between and it was on a corner at the top of a small pinch. You almost had to stop and hop the rear wheel to the side to get the right line, otherwise you'd stall and sometimes fall off. Some riders took it on themselves to move the lower log away. We found out who it was but the builder never caught up with them, and lucky for them too.

Some of you may have seen this getting around the webz.

Difficult trail.jpg

redbruce

Eats Squid
You are not worthy of being allowed to Mtb when you damage trails. .

While I can understand you are (justifiably) angry, it does looks like the pot calling the kettle black on respect!

Given the type of person who would do this in the first place and assuming the culprit(s) is on rotorburn, insults, threats and name calling is very unlikely to engender the behavior change desired.

It may even encourage them to do worse.

Last edited:

strezd

Likes Bikes
While I can understand you are (justifiably) angry, it does looks like the pot calling the kettle black on respect!

Given the type of person who would do this in the first place and assuming the culprit(s) is on rotorburn, insults, threats and name calling is very unlikely to engender the behavior change desired.

Exactly what I thought.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt

G'day Redbruce,

Nah don't reckon I'm calling any kettle black on respect.

You see I have caught riders myself simplifying technical sections so they can make it through, plus locals have spotted others making their own changes to existing trails and have posted notices telling them to leave them alone plus telling them where to go, so my basis is fair.

Now the latest left-field info that there are moto x riders using some of the trails is just that, left field, but not confirmed as the ones that did the damage, although quite possible. However I personally will confront any moto rider I see on ST and put it to them about the damage.

My comments whether Mtbkr or moto remain the same if they have done the damage, that is, not worthy to Mtb and they will need to do work out there and are F*** knuckle bastards. Check out their butchery on the FB page. I don't believe the softly softly approach of "what's up pussycat" to anyone that undertakes such vandalism to any trails would be adopted by those giving their ride and family time to build and or maintain trails.

Rotorburn is a brilliant method to get the message out. Riders will be aware what is going on and keep an eye out. As I stated there is only less than a poofteenth of 1% that spoil things. Undertaking more vandalism as a result of what I have labelled them to me seems extreme, more so I would think they would know we are on to them. No threats of violence, but a requirement to make good which I reckon is fair and reasonable.

If you want to go me for respect, that's ok, I can't please all of the people all of the time, so if I ruffle a few feathers whilst I focus on the current and future well being of the trails at SG as my primary objective I will sleep ok. But I reckon that most will understand the primary concern here which is this vandalism, it's rectification and working to ensure it is stamped out and therefore be comfortable with my approach.

If you want to help with work at SG give me a hoy or contact Brendan on the FB page.

yiannos18

Likes Dirt

I rode through there on Friday and thought to myself surely the guys who maintain SG didn't cut a hole through it? This has just confirmed that it is indeed vandalism! But yes it is definitely an awkward shape, I pushed my bike through it and you get close to clipping the pedals on either side of it, whereas before it was just a straightforward rollover... so it definitely isn't to make things easier. Some people though.

To all the trail vandals out there:

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
These actoins are related to the significant increase of riders coming to SG over the past few years. Its simple math, more users = more problems.
Situations like this have been increasing over the past few years but been absorbed and maintained by those whom are in the know. Tolerated perhaps (Mars knows what i mean)?
Sadly its something that is going to become a bigger issue for all involved at SG and most likely will end up as another example of the twisted YTs saga.
Interesting times ahead.

dirtycam

Cannon Fodder
This is not the only obstacle that has been hacked recently, I was heading down to happy valley track on monday from the top of rob roy and came across a log that had been cut into.

Pointless really it wasn't even a challenging obstacle.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Largely fixed over the last couple of weeks, needs a touch up but will be covered shortly.

Also a good day of trail maintenance with the Nillumbik Council Ranger and volunteers yesterday.

For the next trail working day check out the FB page (again I dont do FB this site is run by Brendan, search Smiths Gully Mountain Bike)