Velocity Deep V

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im after some info for those rims.
im going to be using them on my commuter considering they are quite cheap and good.
but i'd like some more info
can they work on any hub which can me mounted to a MTB frame and do they have rim brake only or disc only versions.

i'd like to know who stocks them in Melbourne.

Rik

logged out
They're nothing fantastic, I'd say anything by the bigger brands would be better... but then there's the matter of price.
All types can be laced to any hub (of the same spoke count) and should work with rim brakes, depends if you get a model with machined sidewalls or not but even then you can sand off the anodising/paint yourself if need be.
Their main advantage is the colours on offer, hence why I spent ages tracking down a set of bright yellow ones :cool:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just about any bike shop in Melbourne can get them. I recommend Ted's cycles in Footscray or Werribee - because they tend to have less mark-up than other shops and because I work there... Funny that...;)

They're cheap & strong (but not light, how ironic).

For about the same cost, go the aerohead, 100g lighter per rim and a similar design - just not as deep. Imagine a deep v which has been squashed...

Can run disc or rim - if you want disc, go the track version without a machined side wall.

Of course, I'm assuming you're talking 700c rims but the deep v's are available in 26" too so best you just buy them & tell us what you think...

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
Deep V's rock. They are not the best or lightest things around but they are farkin strong and thats why you get them. I had a set on my old bike and smashed them into so many gutters and various other things.
Good price and very strong

Binaural

Eats Squid
Deep V's rock. They are not the best or lightest things around but they are farkin strong and thats why you get them. I had a set on my old bike and smashed them into so many gutters and various other things.
Good price and very strong

^^^ Word. I rode some on my commuter for years at uni, stayed straight and true. I weigh about 100kg and flog my bikes hard, so that's not bad going, especially for rim brakes (out of true = scrish, scrish, scrish.....). Plus, they were a pleasingly obnoxious shade of blue :)

Rus

Squid
Deep V's are great bang for your buck. The do offer two versions.....One with a machined braking surface and one without. If you're discs I'd day go for the one without. And yes you can lace them to any hub

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im going 26' and probably a disc version.

thanks for the info guys,
it will be used for general commuting and 'maybe' some off road, but i doubt that.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Strike up another vote for the V's. I have a set that were purchased about 8yrs ago. Used them 'very' heavily for about 5yrs then moved to a roadie. Out of all the shit I gave those rims/wheels for that time, they only got trued 3 times, and the front was snowflaked as well!

Get 'em, you'll have them for yrs for what you've got in mind.