Victorian Enduro Tour 2015

Markee

Likes Dirt
A thread for your race reports to catch up on how the 'Burners' did at each event.

My results from today at Barjarg 5th, 11th, 7th and a 4th for a 5th overall in Masters. #158
Had an awesome weekend, yes it was hard work climbing/walking up that hill to the top but damn it's rewarding putting in the hard yards to finish the weekend uninjured and excited for the next one.

treble

Likes Dirt
I'd love to know what people think of the series after the recent changes. I've been doing the Alpine gravity races since the first one in forrest years ago. But its gone full enduro now. As someone who races socially and isn't concerned with results, Im not paying for the privilege of riding uphill as its no different to any other weekend ride. Is it still fun though?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
#161 I must admit I was put off at the announcement but now I've done it I thought it was ok. Certainly adds a new element to it. Not only the hard slog climbing up but also the limited practice, you really need to focus on learning lines and sections first time around. Only got one practice each run.
A reasonable race day but a fuck up in an easy rock garden trying to shave time taking a risky line on stage 4 saw me OTB and lose a chunk of time. Not sure on the results, somewhere behind Markee.

sundy

Likes Dirt
I'd love to know what people think of the series after the recent changes. I've been doing the Alpine gravity races since the first one in forrest years ago. But its gone full enduro now. As someone who races socially and isn't concerned with results, Im not paying for the privilege of riding uphill as its no different to any other weekend ride. Is it still fun though?
Yep, I'm out too. A big reason for me doing these events in recent years was getting the chance to do a heap of shuttled runs on the Saturday, and then have a bit of a race on the Sunday.
I can't blame Ben though, he is trying to align the series with what the rest of the world is doing (but sometimes being different is a good thing).

wojski

Cannon Fodder
#206 First time poster and competitor. The climb was taxing that's for sure but heck the trails are awesome and rewarding after such a climb! Had heaps of fun. Looking forward to the next round. If anything, my only criticism is the waiting at the top for your run. I think if 2 stages were run at any given time, you would not have to wait 40 odd minutes up the top if you are at the back of the queue.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Results are up. Bottom of the page.

http://www.alpinegravity.net/victorian-enduro-tour.html

And Duane you were not that far behind me. Good shit mate.

I'm relatively new to the whole of MTB and this series suits me to a tee. I'm purposely not riding a DH bike as I know I will enjoy it, for me the risk is just not worth it.
I love racing and after racing motorbikes for years, this type of racing, against the clock, without added worry of being taken out by a fellow racer, is perfect.
I like the fact that there are medics onsite if necessary, there is catering, the event village and the trails on offer all make spending $80 for an awesome weekend hanging with heaps of like minded people worth it IMHO. The added bonus of keeping fit, getting fitter and keeping away from the docs is also a mega plus.
Each to their own I say.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Results are up. Bottom of the page.

http://www.alpinegravity.net/victorian-enduro-tour.html

And Duane you were not that far behind me. Good shit mate.

I'm relatively new to the whole of MTB and this series suits me to a tee. I'm purposely not riding a DH bike as I know I will enjoy it, for me the risk is just not worth it.
I love racing and after racing motorbikes for years, this type of racing, against the clock, without added worry of being taken out by a fellow racer, is perfect.
I like the fact that there are medics onsite if necessary, there is catering, the event village and the trails on offer all make spending $80 for an awesome weekend hanging with heaps of like minded people worth it IMHO. The added bonus of keeping fit, getting fitter and keeping away from the docs is also a mega plus.
Each to their own I say.
Haha. It was a fun race.....even more spewin' about my OTB in stage 4 now. ;)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As I mentioned in another thread, had my first crack at this format coming from an XC background.

I would say it was a real eye opener in terms of learning tracks and how much time mistakes cost you.
I carried the lantern rouge in Elite with multiple mechanical incidents on second and third stages which I figure would have cost me 30-40 seconds.
By the fourth stage my arms and shoulders were struggling to hold on and I made a bunch of silly mistakes including the worlds slowest otb! (Totally different strength requirements to XC!)

My motivation to give this series a whirl revolved around the additional pedalling, so that part of it was ok for me.
I think I'm better for the run and expect to close the gap over coming races as I learn to ride a bigger bike and cut out the mistakes/fatigue.

I'll be putting together a more in depth recap tonight.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We were pretty convinced walking would have hurt us more than riding, although by the last time up on Sunday I was Pretty happy it was over

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kept conserving all weekend thinking I would hit the wall early but at the end of the weekend wasn't as tuckered as I expected to be, perhaps I conserved a little too much, but I'm along way from a thin, fit XC rider. Was pretty stoked at the top of the hill knowing it was the last of the climbing. Seeing guys pedal up in the arvo on Sunday was impressive.

Markee

Likes Dirt
So we're up for round two this weekend at Lake Mountain. Who's racing?

A few things to note from the A.G. webpage.

UPDATED TRAVEL INFORMATION: When we booked this event in, resort management were unaware of a car rally at the time and was a bit of a surprise to all of us, and since we all found out we've been working very closely with Mountain Motorsports who are the rally organisers in creating a plan so that both events impact each other as little as possible (after all they are just adrenaline junkies just like us). The access road up to the resort itself will be open all weekend, but Marysville-Woods Point Rd C513 will be open during certain times to allow traffic up and down the road Saturday morning.
TIMES THE ROAD IS OPEN:
Before 8am
9:40am-10am
12pm-1pm
2pm-2:30pm
​4pm open rest of the day

THE ROAD IS OPEN ALL DAY FRIDAY

BYO drinking water unless you're happy to pay for it. Tap water is unfiltered river water, drink at own risk.

Should be a great weekend with the weather looking awesome.

Stage 3/5 is a banger!

PS. Don't forget your number plates!

slowmick

38-39"
Good luck on the weekend Markee. How's the training been going?

Have fun in NZ Duane. I am jealous as fark. Did your Norco arrive in time?

Markee

Likes Dirt
Good luck on the weekend Markee. How's the training been going?

Have fun in NZ Duane. I am jealous as fark. Did your Norco arrive in time?

Mick my training hasn't been going as good as I'd like if my results are anything to go by!

I had an average weekend, in that I didn't even stay to see where I finished overall, which turned out to be 13th in class.
Trails were great and in really good condition with plenty of grip but, there was loads of pedalling and I suffered hard because if I smashed out the flat section, by the time I got to the downhill slope aka the fun bit, I was stuffed and just unable to push harder for fear of crashing because I was too tired! Nobodies fault but my own so no good grizzling about it.
Plus side for me was after crashing twice on stage 3 and losing my Garmin in one of them, a photographer picked it up and handed it to the marshall at the bottom and I got it back at the end of stage five. So pretty happy about that.

All in all a good fun weekend riding bikes, doing a proper enduro stage race (with an energy zapping climb in the middle) and finishing it without any major incidents.

Till the next one.
Cheers

slowmick

38-39"
Sounds like you had a few wins and a few losses over the weekend bloke. sounds like it was a hard day in the saddle - guess it is important to find a balance for the ups and downs.

At least you got to the starting line. I was trying to get back to speed on the bike at the Youies shuttle day i saw you at. I crashed and banged up my wrist and hand. Then I figured I would do some training to try and get fit enough to cope with the climbs while i recovered but I crashed and smashed my good shoulder. If I can stop crashing I'll make it to the next one. :becky: