Volunteer Trail Day Brisbane Saturday 24th Feb.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Trail Care Day - Mt Coot-tha Forest (Gap Creek)
  • Work Sponsor - Brisbane City Council
  • Member to contact - Oppy alias BCC Trail Care Coordinator Chris Maierhofer 3403 8888
  • Date - 24 th Feb 2007
  • Start Time - 7:30
  • Finish Time - 11:30 or earlier if work completed
  • Meeting Point - Gap Creek reserve picnic area Mt Coot-tha Forest UBD 157 H15, we will then make our way to the work site from here, either by foot or bike.
  • What to Bring - yourself in covered shoes, appropriate sun safe clothing (long sleeves and pants will add extra protection) and hat/helmet (if riding lock for your bike as well), water bottle and/or your hydration pack, food/snack (snakes seem to be the preferred option), gloves if you have them (leather is good), sunscreen.
  • Tools - Hand tools such as shovels, rakhoes, mattocks and gloves are supplied by the BCC. Chain saws and other powered equipment are only operated by qualified work sponsor employed staff.
  • Other – Please fill in sign on sheet so we can keep a record of how many people and how much work is being done.
Work to be completed
We will be working in the first link trail between the Quail trail and 'Lantana'.
Why work is necessary
This trail needs some realignment to fix the drainage as currently it runs straight down the fall line. I have been out and pink flagged a new set of switchbacks down the hill for the realignment. You can see them easily while riding the trail.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or Oppy via PM, email, phone, or post the questions here. If there is anything not covered, please feel free to ask.

If there are changes to the above information they will be posted here.
We will be recommencing work on the Lantana trail and the links to it in February after a scaled back working bee in January to avoid the heat.

We should all be back from holidays and back to school so trail care is also back at the hard yards. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us and we will have a good turn out in February.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey oppy
cant come :( atm because of the bunya ride :) but i had a thought what about getting the local schools such as mine Kenmore SHS to help get with trail care such as a mid week one?

Declan!

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Hey Declan,

Thats an interesting idea we should have a chat about who I could speak to about it next time we catch up.

Op

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Oops I started another thread instead of posting in this one my bad.

Oppy said:
What a massive day, I ache. We had a solid turn out of 10 very dedicated people today with almost a 50/50 spilt return volunteers. This made the day flow really well and I am awed by the work you guys put in today.

I measured about 160m of flagged alignment with the GPS yesterday and Michael measured it at about 180m of track today by bike. Either way that is a minimum of 16m per person in four hour of work! That is an outstanding effort of which you guys should boast about.
With all that building we still managed to close the old trail as well and build a fence across it.

My thanks go out to Mark T, Dave, Reuben, Ian, Paul, Montana, Mark L, Glen, Michael, and John.

What was an old fall line eroding alignment has been turned into a sweet sustainable single track.

Pictures are coming, slowly apparently....

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Sweet trails fellas. Mixing the labour with land equals a sense of ownership, clearly a lot of labour being mixed with the land.

Its not clear from the photos but are these brand new trails or bench cutting an existing trail/line?

Oppy

Likes Dirt
looking good there oppy! whens the next one?
24th of March is the next Gap Creek Trails Alliance workign bee continuing this project. 17th March is the next Bronwyn's trail working bee with the Gap Cycling club. Similar names different projects.

Also at the moment I am shaping up for some regular Friday trail work as well. So if any one regularly doesn't work Friday drop me a PM with some contact details.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Sweet trails fellas. Mixing the labour with land equals a sense of ownership, clearly a lot of labour being mixed with the land.

Its not clear from the photos but are these brand new trails or bench cutting an existing trail/line?
Sorry my first post wasn't real clear. This trail links a valley trail with a ridge line trail. At the moment it is 100% fall line trail with an ongoing erosion problem. We are in the process of controlling the drainage by building new sustainable single track and closing the fall line alignment. Yesterday was the top section and as the months progress we will be moving down slope to valley trail known locally as the Lantana track.

I can't seem to load any pics right now, but I put up some before after style shots in a little bit.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
Heres a couple of extras.

Pre-post

Post post

before

after

The old trail straight up closed, new trail goes left.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
awsome job oppy, even thought its only short atm. i have seen the pink tabs and thinks there rest it going to be even better!

gillian

Squid
Very impressive! Gap Creek Trail Crews work like machines! Full bench on a steep sideslope. Lovely flow. Nice.

If you want to ride IMBA style XC, Gap Creek, Mt Coot-tha is the place.

40 man hours is a lot of effort but as we add each session together and finish a well designed track, it'll last forever.

A thing of beauty is a joy (to ride) forever... Shakespear