Volunteer Trail Day Brisbane Saturday 24th MARCH

Oppy

Likes Dirt
This maybe your only chance to plant some plants at Mt Coot-tha for a very long time given the possible introduction of level 5 water restrictions in the very near future. We will be utilising some recycled water on the day to water the plants. After that there will be minimal follow up (1-2)waterings. So adopt a tree you plant and water it as you finish your ride. Empty your camel back or bottle and help regenerate the forest!

Planting Day - Mt Coot-tha Forest (Gap Creek)
  • Sponsored by the Brisbane City Council
  • Contact - Oppy alias BCC Trail Care Coordinator Chris Maierhofer 3403 8888
  • Date - 24 th March 2007
  • Start Time - 7:30
  • Finish Time - 11:30 or earlier if work completed
  • Meeting Point - Gap Creek reserve picnic area Mt Coot-tha Forest UBD 157 H15, we will then make our way to the work site from here, either by foot or bike.
  • What to Bring - yourself in covered shoes, appropriate sun safe clothing (long sleeves and pants will add extra protection) and hat/helmet (if riding lock for your bike as well), water bottle and/or your hydration pack, food/snack (snakes seem to be the preferred option), gloves if you have them (leather is good), sunscreen.
  • Tools - Hand tools such as shovels, rakhoes, and mattocks are supplied by the BCC.
  • Other – Please fill in sign on sheet so we can keep a record of how many people and how much work is being done.
Work to be completed
This month we are doing something new that we have never done before!
We are planting!
Given the small but good amount of rain we had in the last few weeks we are going to plant some plants. The site will be the low lying area near the entry into 'Lantana' just off the reserve that was recently realigned. Where the lantana has been removed is prime for planting. The southerly aspect and the low lying alluvial soil should be very productive. I measured out the area at ~1600m2 which works out to about 600 plants!
We will need alot of help on this day. Just think how great it will be to ride along this trail every time you go to Coot-tha thinking I planted that tree! This re-vegetation will be here to show your kids when you take them.
Why work is necessary
Natural regeneration of plants is a slow process so we are going to give mother nature a boost. Replanting will enhance the habitat value of the area and when it grows up will shade the trail for the users.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM, email, phone, or post the questions here. If there is anything not covered, please feel free to ask.

If there are changes to the above information they will be posted here.

I am also planning to invite the Gap Creek Habitat group who work just down stream in our Gap Creek Catchment along to help us out. These guys have been planting and maintaining Gap Creek between Deerhurst St and Kookaburra St off Brookfield Road since 1999. So we really need a good turn out to show these guys what mountain bike rideres can do!

NRG Cycles have very kindly offered to support the hard workers on the day with a free sausage sizzle and cold drink to the participants after the planting. Cheers Gav your a champ! :2thumbsup:

Last edited:

Oppy

Likes Dirt
For those who are coming along tomoorow here a brief out line of the day.

I will be getting in early and laying out some plants in the areas to plant them. I have the Natural Area Maintanence Team Leader Paul coming out with a Truck Load (litterally) of recycled water about 7:00am.

You guys and girls all turning up at 7:30.
We will start of by getting the planting underway. Once we have a reasonable amount of plants in the ground we will start to add grow bags or tree bags over them. Then we can start to water the plants. Once all the plants are in and had a good drink Gav from NRG will be firing up the BBQ for a free sausge sizzle for all the trail carers. Big props to the NRG cycles crew for supporting the trail care day.

How to plant
  • * Using a mini mattock dig a hole a little bit bigger than the size of the plant pot (or tube in this case).

* Place a small amount of water saving crystals into the bottom of the hole and mix with a little loose soil.

*Place the plant in the hole and replace the excavated soil around the plant and press down firmly around it. Place the empty plant tube next to the plant for later.

*Arrange three bamboo stakes around the plant and place the tree bag over the stakes to protect the plant. Place the empty plant tube (pot) over one of the stakes. This is very important.

*Water the plant with about 2 litres of water. Remove the empty plant tube form the stake so we can tell which plants we have watered.

Oppy

Likes Dirt
I am super stoked with how the day went today. We had more than double our usual attendance with 35 people coming out to care for the forest. With such a good turn out we got through our planting with time to spare. We were all finished up by 10:00am an hour and a half early! Fortunately I had dispatched a runner to ensure Gav from NRG cycles had fired up the BBQ and cooked snags in time for our finish.

Thanks to all the volunteers today you have made a lasting contribution to the forest. For all those who didn't make it out you can still be involved. This site is located close to the car park so as you finish your ride empty out your left over water on the plants and give our environment a helping hand. Watch where you step as you go through the plants as there are is lots of natural regeneration popping up as well.

Special thanks to Hugh 'the lantana man' who is clearing the lantana away by hand as member of the volunteer group Men of the Trees. His dedication has literally cleared the way for our planting.

Attachments