Volunteers needed desperately for the Scott 24hr!

Maligno

Squid
Your an idiot, do you have any idea of how much work goes into the running of these events not to mention a whole club? ..........If corc has to pay people to run an event then that means that less money goes into subsidising race entry, building trails and whole lot of other programs that virtually run the mountain biking community in the ACT. Go jump in a lake.
No need for the name calling you arse clown. "subsidising race entry"!!?? Now let me get my head around this; you run a race to make money in order to subsidise subsequent race entry costs???? So everyone racing the Scott 24hr is paying more so the next race can cost less? That makes less sense than getting so worked up over an internet forum that you resort to name calling! Fark its funny how much of an impact a few little questions can make……

Go lake jumping? sounds like a great idea!

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Well, let me see...

I'm on the CORC committee. I race one race a year and that's this one, at which I pay full tote cost. I volunteered four full days of work for the worlds, I'll be putting in a full day here too. I don't know how many trail building days I've been to at Stromlo, but it's a few...

I've also spent more than 3 years doing trail advocacy work, typing submissions, meeting with land managers and stakeholders, responding to rider and public queries, liasing with other interest groups...

I don't get paid for it, I do it because I give a rats about where we get to ride and what shape it's in and if people like it enough to give us future events.

BTW, the people who get subsidized entry at races resulting from dollars raised at the 24 hour race are juniors, no-one else as far as I'm aware.

None of us are on a junket to the Bahamas here.

While you're itemising up your list that gives you your supposed 250k income, please itemise a corresponding list that covers expenses including but not limited to: marquee and lighting and tolilet and shower hire, venue hire, insurance, advertising, Ambulance and first aid services, printing of race numbers, supply of T shirts, bottles and all other materials in every rider pack. Then get back to the thread with an estimated figure on post race profits... (and we can tell you about the other stuff that you forgot)

There have been a fair few big events lately and the same people have been stepping up to the plate, time after time, in some cases for well more than 5 years. Some of these folks are getting burnt out and could do with a break and it'd be nice if some new folks stepped in.

Now I'm off to polish my Porche:rolleyes:

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
No need for the name calling you arse clown. "subsidising race entry"!!?? Now let me get my head around this; you run a race to make money in order to subsidise subsequent race entry costs???? So everyone racing the Scott 24hr is paying more so the next race can cost less? That makes less sense than getting so worked up over an internet forum that you resort to name calling! Fark its funny how much of an impact a few little questions can make……
Yeah, who ever thought of running a free interschools race is an idiot - that'll never help get kids into the sport! The fact that entrant numbers are growing exponentially is proof of this!

Same with subsidised junior entries to other races, and cheaper riding clinics. Those things aren't good for the sport and should be discouraged!

Oh, and all that equipment CORC buy, like PA systems, timing gear, sign-age, tents, tables, chairs, bunting and track marking, trail building equipment, a fleet of MTBs loaned out to get women into the sport, bike carrying trailers for DH races and a whole heap of other stuff - and the two large areas they rent to store all this gear, and the trailers used to transport it - well that's not a worthwhile place to spend money either.

You're totally correct Malingo, they really don't have anywhere better to spend their money.

The main point here is that when you volunteer for any event, you are helping your sport. When you volunteer for this event, if you feel like you're being ripped off, you should remember how much this one event benefits mountain biking in a really wide range of ways.

And your cop-out of this being on the internet - I'd be saying this to your face too, mate.

smytht1

Likes Dirt

Go lake jumping? sounds like a great idea!
Look, i'm just going to not listen to you because i'm assuming that your some 14 year old kid that has not clue about the mountain biking industry and community.