WA mountainbike park - Theory only so far... Hopefully evolving into more however...

CanCer

Likes Dirt
How likely do people think it would be for a council/capitial city board/whatever to give money/assitance towards building a proper riding 'park"?

There was a thread in General Discussion a little while ago (http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=926&highlight=WA+left+out) that was a little "half-cocked". But it's planted the seeds in my mind for an actual attempt at this, probably going in the order of petition, survey, plan, presentation, submission, probably other things, PARK!

blake123

Likes Bikes
yer that would be awsum. there is the goat far but thats only minor. council should give approval. have you posted this on wafr.tk or perthmtb?

MTBWANNABE

Banned
The City of Midland (i think it's midland?) gave a POT load to goatfarm building. It is perths new 'bike park'.

Heck - it's the new whistler without the chair lifts ;)

A couple $100,000's were put into it i think. So a fair amount.

Should be awsome when it's done.. If you've been there in the past 6 months you'll have noticed it has had a big change with the new flowy berms/table tops. All this was council done - thanks to our petition on www.wafreeride.com i thinks.

Still - perths big enough for two parks :)

I also thing goatfarm is getting some northshore structures put in place. Like Proper NS drops - not the shit ones that are/were there...

CanCer

Likes Dirt
Hmmm... That makes it a little more interesting... Would a council still put money into it if there's another already going on...

But still... The other side of perth maybe?
Or further down the coast?

"Skaters have a park in every locality, why not so with the big wheeled beasts?"

and the reports on WAFreeride say it's pretty short too...

rickazz

Likes Dirt
in melb the council in our area saw that the local jumps were no good and helped us fix them like they had a guy in a bobcat they supplied the dirt and all we had to do was tell them were to put it and make it good for all ages.

hope it works out for you guys like it did for me

tinto

Likes Dirt
The 'other side of Perth' is the leafy western suburbs. It just won't happen there.

But if there's enough decent terrain available (i.e. hills) then there's no reason why there couldn't be another one. Have you been out to the Goatfarm? While it's not massive there's great potential for that space. Most skateparks slot right into existing public space, because they're not that big.

From my experience councils are pretty insular, and they may actually be more interested if a similar facility has already been created elsewhere. I say throw your support behind Goatfarm before re-inventing the wheel yourself.

CanCer

Likes Dirt
Well what about re-doing the Dardi trails?
I know there aren't as many riders there but the tracks have been there for near on 20 years if my dad's to be believed, and they're really only XC kinda trails. Would a good stir up of the Dardi council, with proper routes etc of course, yeild any results, or more than a Perth based park?
Yes i call it Dardi because i can't spell Dardinup

nizai

Likes Dirt
Its a shame theres no real steep terrain for a proper DH at Langford since that whole area has been dontated by Alcoa for MTB use. But you could certainly look at building a DJ area out there in some of the cleared space over the back or the old freeride area (which people are starting to ressurect now).

N

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
I've been working with Armadale council to have a jump park built on the land adjacent to the existing BMX track in John Dunn oval in Kelmscott. While it's not a huge development it is making some progress towards getting a local council involved in bike facilities. I've got threads going on some local forums to let everyone know of progress, (and to try & drum up some help!!), check out http://wafreeride.com/viewtopic.php?t=939 for details.

Let me know if you want to get involved. As I said, it isn't a major development but it is a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Justin.

::RideSiK::

Pro Rider
dirt_hurts said:
Well what about re-doing the Dardi trails?
I know there aren't as many riders there but the tracks have been there for near on 20 years if my dad's to be believed, and they're really only XC kinda trails. Would a good stir up of the Dardi council, with proper routes etc of course, yeild any results, or more than a Perth based park?
Yes i call it Dardi because i can't spell Dardinup

what the hell man?
theres a couple of state round dh tracks there as well as heaps of log rides and all sorts of shit... you really should get out there before posting stuff... have you been to wellington mills?

besides id doubt if anyone on these forums knows what and where dardanup trails are apart from me... theres heaps of regular trail rides and stuff.

but anyway long and the short, get involved in the local mountain bike club!!!

Pro Rider
actually, some of the trails have been in amb twice now... once a few years ago, somewhere around 99-01 and in the latest issue, june 06 maybe its july or whatever with the mainly black cover...

CanCer

Likes Dirt
Yeah i've been out there. Last weekend
And yeah i've got the new AMB. And yes I've riden the tracks there.

But I'm just thinking of ideas at the moment. And some ideas of mine are better than others. Such as making sure each of the tracks can be navigated without a map. As in the first time I went out there (and this has happened with a number of other people I've talked to), i ended up on a usless loop to nowhere because I didn't know what was going on.

But I'll keep my ideas to myself now, as to not polute the boards with such filth as free thinking.

Pro Rider
the trails that are legal are all marked.

otherwise ride at your own risk...

join the local moutnain bike club, support the moutnain bike scene, then find out where the trails are!!!

even if you have no intrest in racing of whatever sort, they do hold social rides where you get to ride all the local trails, with the guys that built them, get to meet other riders and such

CanCer

Likes Dirt
I'm already a member of Peel, and I race with them, but as they're half perth guys, they don't travel as far down as Dardinup to race, and I can't afford or justify beloning to two clubs.

Pro Rider
well because there is a south west moutnain bike club, and you want to find out about trails in the south west area, get in touch...

there are local rides every week.

ps just out of interest why join the peel club instead of the local one??