Walk or ride a steep hill

stirk

Burner
Is walking up a steep hill while pushing a bike more or less taxing on the body than riding up the hill on the bike?

Personally I find the variables so great within the many situations one might find themselves in to ask this question whilst vigorously panting for air and clicking the shifter for a lower gear that does not exist but generally riding seems to be easier but walking allows for a slow progress with rests.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Walking uses some different muscles, sometimes its nice to give the riding set a rest.... so I have been told.
This. You’re also using less upper body stuff as you would crawling up a traction limited steep trail.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
in cyclocross, and referring more to sand beds they have tested and it takes more energy to jog with the bike than ride on th4 flat sand beds or on an on incline—they make them up to around 10%, and even with dismounting/remounting many europeans cross guys run some sections, cos they loose less time than if they come to a stop in the sand, then get off awkwardly. i would think walking with your bike at a leisurely pace would use less energy than riding hard, i presume you aren’t power walking/runnning?

i’m not a powerful single speeder, i don’t do structured climbing like the serious guys eg @Ackland — if it gets above 10% i’m walking, then, cos i race cross if i’m in a race i tend to jog alongside the bike, i’m often quicker jogging then guys busting their arse still trying to ride 10+ gradients (includes geared bikes)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Kinda harking back to the dinner plate thread my back is absolutely ruined. But I can ride all day with no issues.
As soon as I jump off that bike and push up the hill all sorts of aches and pains appear.
so for me I’ll happily spin up a hill all day long.
In fact if I could just just ride around everywhere including during my work day I’d be a happy camper.
Walking sux for me.

teK--

Eats Squid
Walking uses some different muscles, sometimes its nice to give the riding set a rest.... so I have been told.
This. Also why its important to stand up as well as seated pedalling at all other times so you don't end up with tight hips or overuse fatigue

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I used to ride as a matter of honor I dont worry any more. Now 65 yo so not getting too tired is important.
I think walking is more efficient > 15 % cos you are still aerobic v inefficient anaerobic glycolysis and you are using different muscles. ie38 v 2 ATPs
Define steep...
I find the biggest contributor to be traction.

And if you are losing traction that is not efficient.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
This. Also why its important to stand up as well as seated pedalling at all other times so you don't end up with tight hips or overuse fatigue
my hip flexor is F%34’d, has given me lower back problems, trying to sort for couple months, long way to go

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For me it is the mental challenge is where I struggle with climbs and will give up too easy if I am not that into the climb. I prefer hard single track climbs with technical bits to master over boring fire roads and steep roads. Half way hill on the Wingello Yellow loop is a good example where I know I can climb it but tend to get to a point where I just want to walk. If you were to put a bit of single track next to it with a few technical bits to clear then I enjoy it more, even if I am starting and stopping on the climb to catch my breath.

stirk

Burner
Riding up the Glenbrook causeway retains personal honour and dignity :)

Go on, you know you want to.....
That's an easy slog on tarmac!

Anderson's trail from Bedford Creek to Woodford is a badge of honour if you can pedal the whole way up. I need to walk but it's harder than riding but allows the catch up of breath.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I ride up almost anything. It can be more efficient because you are sitting down but once it gets super technical you can use more energy than walking but it is still much faster.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I very rarely walk, and have never ever cramped up while riding a bike.

Doing a recent enduro race I decided to walk a steep section to try and save energy.
Not long after while riding again I got my first ever calve cramp. Will never walk again ha ha.