Wall mounted DVD player

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Google hasn't been my friend, so I'm turning to Farkin yet again as I know there's a bunch of tech savvy people here.

Just bought a 50" plasma for the bedroom...wall mounted directly across from our bed, all hidden cables etc. I obviously want to be able to play DVDs, but I want to mount it vertically on the wall, not horizontally. I also want the cables hidden. Does anyone make a DVD player in the configuration? Is there any other options?

0psi

Eats Squid
Do it properly and put an in car DVD player in your bedside. It's gonna look tacky as all hell on the wall.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A Playstation 2 is a vertical stand DVD player and is fairly thin. You can get one pretty cheap. A PS3 is another option and is a bluray player that you can connect to your wifi and stream all sorts of awesome content. It is a dearer option but worth it in the long run. I'm sure your girl would approve of you playing a war game in bed while she's attempting to sleep. ;)

markb84

Likes Dirt
or hide a standard DVD player somewhere and send the signal by means of wireless sender/receiver. Anything wireless always introduces a potential lack of reliability into the equation.

The DVD players I've seen that are made for that configuration have been built into the chassis of the TV, I've not seen a unit that wall mounts as a stand-alone, and I imagine that it's because it would look awful.

There are always lots of different ways to look at these situations when it comes to concealing equipment and cables, it depends how nice it needs to look, what you have to work with regarding the wall/room, how much money you really want to spend and what you want to achieve.

I realise you're just asking for a wall mounted DVD player but given my career history I'm compelled to ask why you need to and whether there are other ways to achieve your goals more effectively.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Missus is crook and has to spend a lot of time in bed...

Bedside has been an option, but would involve over 10 metres of cable to get to the TV and a visible hole in the wall for the cables to go into.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Suggestion: apple TV, although you'll need to convert or access the videos over wifi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I can't help with your particular issue, but I'd suggest getting a BluRay player over a regular DVD player. The increase in picture quality is definitely worth it.