VIC Wall ride design

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm re-building an old Moto track into a freeride/DH track and have just finished a large DJ style jump, I want to then make the track go to the right and onto a log ride that I've planked up. Orginally I was going to just put in a berm, but with all that speed coming off the DJ I thought why not make a wall ride instead - thus bringing me to the question: Does anyone know where I can get design plans for one of these bad boys? I've done some searching online with no luck. Thanks heaps!

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty easy to design, i made one a while ago, mine is angled pretty steep:
Started with 2 frames to go underneath the platform,
Then ran 3 6x4 peices between then to nail the boards to,
Then nailed all the boards to it and placed various supports to stop it swaying,
Still needs a bit more support and some legs out the back to stop it tipping backwards on impact of landings.
Just pm me if you have questions

Attachments

Last edited:

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Wall Ride

Thanks for the replies. Looks good Jono. I have about 20 or so hardwood sleepers which I've laboriously lugged into the area, I wanted to put them into the ground standing up but then join and brace them at the back. I want it to be like a berm, (curved) but made of timber and taller. What sort of supports have you used to prop the wall up? I was thinking of using 1/2 rounds (inc the back bracing) as the ground supports, but thought the pressure on them would continue to drive them into the ground without some sort of footing to stop this. What do you reckon?

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what i've done in the past to prevent this is dig a bigger hole than you need and place a rock or a brick in it, the supporting legs sit on these and then backfill the hole. problem solved!

I made a very similar thing a few years back by starting with A-frames. One side of the A was the wall side, the other was the back support. We adjusted the angles until it looked good for the corner and the speed we would be doing. had about 4 A frames each at a differnent angle as it was flattish on the entrance and got steeper and tighter as you went along.

ademb

Likes Dirt
just to add onto what reubs said. Dig a larger hole then required, try find a nice sized flat rock to go in the base of the hole then as ur filling the hole in try at pack more decent sized rocks as u go.

That way it stabilizes against sway in the posts aswell

Thats also with the timber bracing aswell

Tombstone

Likes Bikes
Thanks heaps for the replies and ideas guys. Love the A-frame idea, that'd be heaps easy to pre-fab too. What I've actually ended up doing is digging a trench with a curve in it. I've then placed the sleepers standing up vertically (perpendicular to the ground) in the trench, filled it and back braced it. Angle varies from ~45deg at the entry to 70deg towards the middle and end, with the idea of manualing out of the wall. Once I've finished the whole track I'll post up pics and a video.