Wanted: older (M665/765/975) Shimano brake caliper

wilso1

Likes Bikes
I'm looking to complete a set of brakes. I have the XTR M975 lever, and hoping someone has a leftover caliper to match.

I'm not fussed if it's SLX (M665), XT (M765) or XTR (M975), but I understand these older brakes (pre2012) use the older (larger ID?) brake hose. That's why I'm seeking a caliper from a 'matching' series.

Located Sydney, but hopefully a caliper can be posted.
Offering $20 incl postage.

Thanks
Ian

moorey

call me Mia
Could be wrong...I thought internals changed slightly, using different barb, but OD was same. I've mixed and matched without issues....from memory.

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Could be wrong...I thought internals changed slightly, using different barb, but OD was same. I've mixed and matched without issues....from memory.
Agree with that - OD the same, but ID is different necessitating different barbs (silver or brass).

Good to know about the ability to mix-and-match. I think I read it was better to match the hose with the caliper (new or old lever doesn't matter).

moorey

call me Mia
Agree with that - OD the same, but ID is different necessitating different barbs (silver or brass).

Good to know about the ability to mix-and-match. I think I read it was better to match the hose with the caliper (new or old lever doesn't matter).
I'm positive I've even used the wrong barbs in an impatient moment....and not had leaks or issues. If I was you, I'd give it a crack. Fit and bleed, then leave the levers pulled in with zippies overnight. If no leaks, #winning

JonnyH

Likes Bikes
I'm positive I've even used the wrong barbs in an impatient moment....and not had leaks or issues. If I was you, I'd give it a crack. Fit and bleed, then leave the levers pulled in with zippies overnight. If no leaks, #winning
I'm running M975 levers with original hoses and 2017 Deore calipers. The 975 calipers started leaking and as they are 1 piece they are hard to repair, my local mechanic just swapped them out for new Deore calipers. Not sure if they changed the barbs, but I know the hoses are the originals. Seriously good brakes now, better than the 785's or 8000's I run on other bikes.

empee

Likes Bikes
wilso1
You can do what JonnyH has done fitting current calipers and the brake should work fine. There is no need to change barbs doing this.
Old hose or new caliper won't matter too much, matching the correct barb with hose WILL matter. Using the wrong one will give inconsistent lever feel like they haven't been bled properly.