Warped disk

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, When going over my Dh bike today i noticed that the back disk was fairly warped. Now I have no idea how this happened but can only think i hit a rock or something when out dhing on sunday. The wheel now hardley spins due to the disk constsntly hitting the pads.

Is there a trick to fixing this or will i need a new disk:(

and i am running a 203mm avid G2 rotor.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flat surface and a hammer = ghetto fix... but you probably should look into a new rotor.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I bent mine back to shape with a shifter closed right down on the rotor (make sure the shifter is clean first).

Just do it by eye bit by bit as you rotate the wheel.
Have a torch on the ground shining up through the brake assembly and you'll get a very accurate view of where the warp is as the rotor passes close to the pads.

Iv'e done it a few times and worked a treat every time.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bent mine back to shape with a shifter closed right down on the rotor (make sure the shifter is clean first).

Just do it by eye bit by bit as you rotate the wheel.
Have a torch on the ground shining up through the brake assembly and you'll get a very accurate view of where the warp is as the rotor passes close to the pads.

Iv'e done it a few times and worked a treat every time.
This is what I do. Take your time, constanstly re-check it as you bend it back, lay it on a perfectly flat surface to check.. Never had a problem with this method.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
Correct me if i'm wrong. i thought there was a machine that could detect where the disc is out and re-bend it. Atleast that what a LBS told me ...

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That fork just looks like a fancier version of a shifter to me.
What about G clamping it between two bits of timber and putting it in the freezer for a few hours.
Never tried this myself but might be worth a try.
Wouldnt it be better in the oven? Well maybe not wood, but you can find an alternative im sure...

scblack

Leucocholic
The technical tool called a shifter is the go. Just keep bending carefully, spinning, bending, spinning, until you have it true.