NSW Warrimoo DH - Needs your support *UPDATE - REC PLAN ATTACHED*

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

As you would be aware, Ku-ring-gai Council has recently put some signs up the top of the trail implying that it is an approved bike track. This is however not entirely the case. It was apparently too well built, to justify the cost of destroying it so they put the signs in as a temporary measure.

This week council released an "unstructured recreation plan" which will be open for comment in the next few weeks, it is very important that people write in support not only of the track in specific but also mountain biking in general.

The council is VERY keen to get Warrimoo and other trails leagalised (and look into building new trails) but they wont do it if they don't see a need. The lady HSMBA has been in contact with on council is/was an avid mountain biker so there is defiantly support behind it already.

I will let you know when the plan is up on the website and when you can comment.

http://www.kmc.nsw.gov.au/resources/...10GB.08-01.pdf

Regards,
Whitey

Last edited:

Kingy

Likes Bikes
Warrimoo DH

Stone the crows I thought for a minute that a new DH trail had popped up in my backyard with out me even knowing about it, catchy name "Warrimoo" being a susburb in the Blue Mountains.

Expect a bit of solidarity from the http://www.BMORC.com crew when the time comes for a concerted letter writing campaign.

:)

Kingy

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Posted up on Nobmob

Heard a slightly more positive version from the "maintenance crew" a few weeks back in regards to what went down, but you never know.

A big campaign is needed when public comment is requested for sure

Posted up on Nobmob for a bit more exposure

To get an official legal DH track in northern Sydney would great and is very much needed, and if we can do this right hopefully we can use use it as a reference to open/legalize more sustainable DH/XC trails in the region.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
not really clear on whats needed ... I read the paper ...but there are no details as to where to comment ... I read most of it so mayb I missed it.

Could you put up specific details as to what is needed.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Follow this Link to comment

not really clear on whats needed ... I read the paper ...but there are no details as to where to comment ... I read most of it so mayb I missed it.

Could you put up specific details as to what is needed.

We really need to emphasize the need for designated IMBA downhills in the plan, it seems from reading it, if they get enough support they will use warrimoo.

Please everyone send an email in support of more sustainable mountain bike trails in the region, both cross country and downhill.

This is a massive turning point for Sydney, lets do this right!

the following link is what your after:

http://www.kmc.nsw.gov.au/www/html/3922-unstructured-recreation-strategy.asp?intSiteID=1

Providing feedback
Comments on the document must be provided as a written submission and should quote reference number S06520. Email your feedback to kmc@kmc.nsw.gov.au or post to:

The General Manager
Ku-ring-gai Council
Locked Bag 1056
Pymble NSW 2073

Submissions close 16 September 2010. All submissions are public documents and will be considered in a final report to Council.

Enquiries: Mary-Lou Lewis 94240961.

Last edited:

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi all,

I was at Warrimoo this morning and came across three council workers at the top of the trail and asked if it was good to see them or bad to see them. Their reply was bad news for us but good for the bush. We had a freindly chat and asked what the issues with the trail were.

They said one of the issues is the drainage of the trails (sediment being washed down the hill side further) we did point out that it has rained a lot in the last three weeks and the trail as 99percent dry.

Another issue is new trails and lines being built.

We did ask if a group of MTB (DH/FR) riders got together with the council and walked the tracks and discussed how we as a group could over come the drainage issues if this could help to keep the trail open and was told this maybe a good idea and could only help.

We were also informed of another area that council have possibly approved for another track but i went and checked it out and think they maybe building a XC trail.

Just thought i would give you the heads up

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
hi all,

I was at Warrimoo this morning and came across three council workers at the top of the trail and asked if it was good to see them or bad to see them. Their reply was bad news for us but good for the bush. We had a freindly chat and asked what the issues with the trail were.

They said one of the issues is the drainage of the trails (sediment being washed down the hill side further) we did point out that it has rained a lot in the last three weeks and the trail as 99percent dry.

We did ask if a group of MTB (DH/FR) riders got together with the council and walked the tracks and discussed how we as a group could over come the drainage issues if this could help to keep the trail open and was told this maybe a good idea and could only help.

We were also informed of another area that council have possibly approved for another track but i went and checked it out and think they maybe building a XC trail.

Is there someone taking the lead with this in terms of council negotiations?

Who has dealt with the council before in these regards?

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there someone taking the lead with this in terms of council negotiations?

Who has dealt with the council before in these regards?
I don't believe there is anyone taking the lead or organizing thinks with council.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
I think Simon from TORC at Turrumurra Cyclery has good links with Kuringai Council. Maybe drop in there and ask him if he is involved.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Council workers names?

Hey mate, did you by any chance happen to get the names/roles of the council workers you came across?

hi all,

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, did you by any chance happen to get the names/roles of the council workers you came across?
No unfortunately not Sorry mate, i didn't think of that, I think they may have only been council works as in workers not office staff.

I do remember one lives up the coast and 4wds. (personally 4wding I think has more of an impact on the bush then MTBing)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Marty is in discussions with Council. but he isn't on here very often.

If some of the regulars could pass on whats happening to him and maybe put a bit of an update together peeps can either take the initiative or have a chat with Marty.

MTBalltheway

Likes Dirt
!

Marty is in discussions with Council. but he isn't on here very often.

If some of the regulars could pass on whats happening to him and maybe put a bit of an update together peeps can either take the initiative or have a chat with Marty.
Yeah im going there later today so if hes there ill pass on the info to him....

Syndicated

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know the current status of the track in regards with the council's approval?

Last edited:

MTBalltheway

Likes Dirt
!

Does anyone know the current status of the track in regards with the council's approval?
I spoke with him not too long ago and he said the council wanted to move the track but cant destroy it because it will cost too much, havn't heard anything new apart from the meeting between council and the local builders....

steaklover

Likes Bikes
it would be such a shame if "the moo" was shut down, its not just a track, but a work of art... it flows, its pretty and its fun... what more can you ask... Marty we love you!!

jars121

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, a bit of a thread bump here, but I wanted to check and see what the current status of the track/area is? I'm wanting to get back into some DH riding, and this track is about 2 minutes down the road from me. Thanks!