Was your bike thrown overboard from the Manly Jetcat?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I usually ride the commute between Manly and Sydney each day for work, but occaisionally, I have to take the ferry/Jetcat.

Now, all those people who take their bicycles on the Jetcat know that the bicycle racks are placed in the dumbest spot (right where the most salt water spray comes from the jets). Salt water is the most evil thing you can put on your bike... the ultimate in corrosion. So everybody tries to put their bike somewhere it won't get covered with salt water, such as the back corner of the Jetcat. Some MORONS put their bike blocking the narrow laneway that leads from the side to the back of the Jetcat.:mad: I'm sure you idiots are the ones who initiated this problem, 'cause...

The other night, I have to take the Jetcat home. I get onboard, walk to the back, and place my bike in one of the back corners of the Jetcat. The deckhand comes over and tells me to move it to the center of the back of the Jetcat... aka "spray central". I know not to argue with this guy, because he's obviously not going to change his stance, and it'll just make things harder for us cyclists who need to take our bikes on the Jetcat in the future, but I do want to find out why I can't have my bike in a seemingly harmess, and out-of-the-way area.

He says that in the course of an emergency, the Jetcat workers need to get to the back of the boat fast. Bikes get in the way. He then tells me about this incident that happened several weeks ago about a similar situation that happened.

Apparently, there was an "emergency", and a deckhand had to get to the back quickly. Several bikes were in the way. The bikes in the way (not sure of the number but it was more than one, it seemed) were picked up and thrown overboard into the ocean.

Now, this sounds amazing because I've never heard of such a thing happening... Not from any cyclists, or in the Manly Daily or anywhere else... and I'm sure this would have "created some waves" (pardon the pun). A couple of weeks later, I need the Jetcat again. I go to place my bike in the relatively dry corner... the same deckhand comes up, and he tells me the same story again (even though I don't argue and don't ask, he continues to tell me the story about bikes being thrown overboard). The next time I need the Jetcat, I don't even bother with the corner. I put the bike in the middle. I don't need the hassle, my bike's somewhat protected against corrosion, and I'm worried about the future of bikes being allowed on the Jetcat (since, y'know, it's not a right, and they could easily ban bikes from the Jetcat and say "ferry only"....)

However, someone else parks in the corner. He ends up getting the story from the deckhand. Same story. EXCEPT this time, the "B" word DOES come up! Apparently, they're thinking about BANNING bikes from the Jetcat!

So I guess the big question here is... does anybody here know personally of someone who had their bike thrown overboard? What's the story with that?

Dicky

Punter God
When the 'townhilling' city rides were still the norm, we'd usually just throw in some quip about how much the bikes were actually worth, and that there was no way in hell they were going anywhere near seawater. Seemed to do the trick.
We also made every effort to keep them out of the way.

I don't know of any bikes being thrown overboard. I doubt it, given that the tabloids LOVE picking on our transport "system".

Fair enough, safety is safety, but I suspect the deckie constantly having to deal with the K-mart bike types (who'd have little concept of the workings of a commercial vessel) has led to him concocting a story to put fear into the hearts of men, at least those that can't think the situation through.

Last edited:

redrl

Likes Dirt
this seems highly unlikely, but it is understandable in a big emergency. ive never taken my bike on the ferrys so i dont know about it.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have walked off th jet cat because they would not let me take my bike inside. (This was a service that was replacing a ferry service). I have also been on the jet cat sans bike when someone else has had one inside. I have also had a number of bikes doused in salt water and diesel out the back.

I also agree with johnny that the deckhand is probably full of bs about throwing the bikes overboard.

However having been a deckhand, they own the boat, and as you know there is no point arguing with them. And it is their resposibility to make sure that the decks are clear in the case of an emergency.

TwoDogs

Likes Dirt
Forgive my ignorance but what is the time difference between the Jet Cat and the Ferry on a trip over to the Quay? At any rate I would have thought the Transport Dept could provide a better service for Cyclists considering we help eleviate road congestion and pollution.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Rules are rules I guess and they are there to prevent something going wrong (or in this case something getting in the way).
If old matey deckhand touched one of my bikes with the thought of it going it overboard, he'd hit the water before my bike would. He sounds like he's got a bit too much salt air in his veins...............;)

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Isn't there a train service to Manly and the Northern Beach? They love bikes on Cityrail and are oh so reliable!

red death

Likes Bikes
Isn't there a train service to Manly and the Northern Beach? They love bikes on Cityrail and are oh so reliable!
no, not train line just yet, but I hear they are planning on building that line across the soon to be constructed dam wall across Sydney Heads. Apparently as all the rain falls in Sydney & not the out of metro catchment areas the harbour is to be the new water supply once all the salt water is drained.

and there will be a road across the dam wall to the peninsula as well so we'll be killing 3 birds with one stone!;)

Last edited:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Forgive my ignorance but what is the time difference between the Jet Cat and the Ferry on a trip over to the Quay?
Generally, the ferry is understood to take 30 minutes, while the Jetcat should take 15.
At any rate I would have thought the Transport Dept could provide a better service for Cyclists considering we help eleviate road congestion and pollution.
That would make sense wouldn't it? But a lot of things that would make sense never happen, too.

And somehow I doubt your average ferry worker is a cyclist, or some who commutes to work by bicycle.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forgive my ignorance but what is the time difference between the Jet Cat and the Ferry on a trip over to the Quay? At any rate I would have thought the Transport Dept could provide a better service for Cyclists considering we help eleviate road congestion and pollution.
Ahh wouldn't it be nice if people actually gave a shit about the effort you put in!

I bet it's bullshit. Man I hate it when people in "authority" try to impress you with stupid tales of retribution, especially police officers; no offence to any police officers amongst you.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
If the story was indeed true then surely the Jetcat operators would be liable for littering the harbour! I think that unless it's a life-threatening situation Jetcat employees would be prohibited from dumping anything overboard...