Washing full face helmet

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
Hi. Is there a recommended way to wash the interior (padding) of a full face helmet? Does anybody do it? I've never bothered in the couple years I've had one but the amount of sweat that thing cops is ridiculous and so want to see what others are doing...
I've got a 661 Evolution (lower end of the market) so I don't think the padding is removeable. I definately don't want to start pulling it apart without confirming if it is.
(hopefully there's not already a thread on this; I couldn't find one).
Cheers,

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sheesh, we've all had a helmet that has a smell that nearly knocks you out when you pull it on!
I take the padding out and hand wash it in some warm water with some dissolved washing powder in the water. I refresh the water to rinse it and hang it out to dry in the sun. I clean the hard material of the helmet with a warm rag and it is good to go for another sweaty summer.
You can't really go wrong with cleaning it by hand and some light soap just to kill the demonic germs that could be growing in it. ;)

T-Rex

Template denier
Definately regular washing with soap and water is the go, I just chuck all my DH gear including helmet in the shower with me.

However, if you have let your helmet go this long without a wash, you probably want to mix up some Napi-San, and soak it in that for an hour, that will kill the bacteria that make the smell permanently.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Definately regular washing with soap and water is the go, I just chuck all my DH gear including helmet in the shower with me.

However, if you have let your helmet go this long without a wash, you probably want to mix up some Napi-San, and soak it in that for an hour, that will kill the bacteria that make the smell permanently.
My vote goes with vinegar diluted in warm water about 1/5 plus maybe a drop(and I mean a drop) of eucalypt oil.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
My vote goes with vinegar diluted in warm water about 1/5 plus maybe a drop(and I mean a drop) of eucalypt oil.
Bloody hell, I'll follow you next time! You won't stink like everyone else. ;)

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
dont worry about the bacteria, theyre yours to start with, and if people dont like the smell get them to ride in front. If the smell repulses you the fabreeze is the key. Unless of course your pads are removable then take em out and wash em you dirty scumbag.no offence intented to anyone who actually is a dirty scumbag and proud like me.

redbruce

Eats Squid
dont worry about the bacteria, theyre yours to start with, and if people dont like the smell get them to ride in front. If the smell repulses you the fabreeze is the key. Unless of course your pads are removable then take em out and wash em you dirty scumbag.no offence intented to anyone who actually is a dirty scumbag and proud like me.
They may start out as yours but the bug facebook ensures the rabble will crash the party. For hygiene alone should wash the foam pads on a regular basis. They also end up with salt crystals from your sweat and they tend to irritate so, yes give it a wash.

I soak mine in the laundry sink with some napisan and then rinse thoroughly.

Best done in warmer weather to dry quickly.

Same deal for my motorbike helmet.

Another option for helmets with non-removable pads is spray-on helmet cleaner. Found at any motorbike store. It is a white foam that you spray on the pads, rub in, then wipe out with a towel or rag. The rest evaporates without residue. Works quite well.

I've been using the stuff for years and all my helmets smell like flowers on a sunny day in spring.

sdoc-helmet-cleaner.jpg

4dabush

Likes Dirt
I just wipe mine down inside and out with a damp sponge soaked in soapy water that will be used to wash gloves/pads etc... usually wipe it over with the sponge rinsed in clean water and leave it out to air...2 years and it has no smell (even the missus agrees)...takes 2 minutes after every ride.
The XC helmet gets hosed off once in a while, to the FF is definitely gets more care.

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
thanks for the sound advice lads, however I don't think I have removeable liner as many of you suggested. Soaking in tub or taking in shower sounds like the way to go but am I right in thinking you mean the whole helmet and do you not worry that detergent/soap is harmful to the helmet exterior/plastics/paintjob?

Last edited: