Wd?

gooser

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, i was being a neglectful dumbass last night and got WD-40 on my rear brake pads, only noticed when I tried to stop today.....and not much happened! Does anyone know how to get it off and get the brakes back to normal, or should I just throw it in and get another set?

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all you need to get rid of is the pads and give the rotors a really really good clean so that you get all of the wd 40 off...im not sure whether other people use anything on the rag but i just give it a clean, new pads and some time to bed the pads in

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Clean the rotors with isopropyl acohol and replace the pads. I dont think you can ever get it off the pads once theyre contaminated.

heath_92

Banned
Disc rotor cleaner, available from bike/motorbike shops possibly car shops such as supercheap auto. Make sure you get it right into the caliper if you don't take the pads out and do the rotor as well.

With motorbikes you can soak the pads in petrol and burn it off, i assume the same would apply for pushys but i wouldn't be keen to be the first one to try it.

Maybe somebody on the forum has tried the petrol and can shed some light on the situation.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Considering petrol is oil based, I wouldn't be using it on my brake pads.

Give everything a good clean with metho or isopropyl alcohol, and let the pads soak in it for a good while. Then you can burn it off if you're a pyro or just let them dry out and they should be alright. You may need to get some sandpaper onto the braking surfaces of the pads/rotors just lightly to roughen them up a bit, too.

Otherwise, buy new pads, clean everything else well.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
No, you shouldn't. What brakes are you using? Should just be a simple matter of pulling one set out and putting new ones in.

gooser

Likes Bikes
Codes

I am using 08 Avid Codes, 5's I think, so....no bleeding? Is there a trick to getting them out, as you might have guessed, my mechanical apptitude is ungood....but englise are really good!:D

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take your wheel off, you should see two legs propping out of the caliper, pull them out and out come the pads. You shouldn't need new ones if you clean them properly. If you still have difficulties do a a search on here, or google; Park Tools might even have a tutorial.

gooser

Likes Bikes
Ok

Thanks everyone, i will take them out tonight and soak them in Isocol, closest I've got to Isopropyl Alcohol, hopefully they dry off in the morn and are as good as new! What would a new set do to my bank balance anyway? I forgot to mention, they are the organic pads that come stock on the bike, will that make them harder to get clean?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I forgot to mention, they are the organic pads that come stock on the bike, will that make them harder to get clean?
Piss them off for a start. My mate had them on his A-Line Park Edition (same bike as yours, I believe?), and they cooked his rotor within two months of having the bike.

Ty

Eats Squid
I've tried the burn off method a couple of time in the past, and all i have to say is, don't do it.

The heat causes 2 things to happen, one, it cracks the surface of the braking material (both on synth and natural pads) and secondly it delaminates the pad from the backing material.

The end result is the tiny cracked bit's of pad crumble off as soon as the pad hits the rotor.

gooser

Likes Bikes
Phantom

Okay...i am just going to get a new scinted metal set. Going up to Phantom Cycles tomorrow to be looked after, thanks for all the advice and ideas guys!:D