We have a new World Champion

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Paul VDP wins the XC Eliminator in South Africa:drum::drum::drum::drum::drum::drum::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

johndh

Likes Dirt
You bloody beauty Pauly, just watched it live online red bull TV, worth watching the celebrations and the commentators responses our first ever elite world xc champion. What a ride he was doing a road race in Borneo a week ago.

slowmick

38-39"
Awesome news on his win. I regularly got passed by him 3 years ago at the Gravity 12 hour - he was insanely fast then - i can't imagine what he's like now.

Great to see Aussies back on the back on the podium for XC. :thumb::thumb:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first corner Paul VDP takes inside line to front.

FirstCornerSneakyMoveto_1st.jpg

out of corner he has a small gap.
SneakyMoveHold.jpg

rock garden, no problems for the plower.
RockGardenStraight.jpg

still in front, slowed a little.
StillInFront_SlowALittle2.jpg

sideways up climb into descent section.
climb1.jpg

descent gap.
LastDescentGAP.jpg

gap after descent.
OutOfDescentGAP.jpg

see you later buddy.
SeeYouLaterBuddy.jpg

gooooooollllllddd

GoldToPVanDP.jpg

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
what's next for this monster of a man

first eliminator World Champ

next cyclocross World Champ

maybe one day classic road race champion

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
how awesome would that be!

He may not be a pure climber (mind you he has won the Mt Buller MTB stage race) but holy crap he can generate some power in those legs. I've heard max-power numbers like 2500 watts. Suprised the bike didn't split in two!
2.5kw is not that impressive, however I would love to see the torque that he is producing. When producing that power, what sort of cadence would he running at.?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
2.5kw is not that impressive, however I would love to see the torque that he is producing. When producing that power, what sort of cadence would he running at.?
I imagine his bike frame must be shuddering with nerves when he does an eliminator :)

will20b

Squid
Really, Shane Perkins puts out a max 2500 Watts and he goes alright.

Congratulations to Paul, an awesome effort for a cool guy.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Really, Shane Perkins puts out a max 2500 Watts and he goes alright.

Congratulations to Paul, an awesome effort for a cool guy.
Sorry. .. 2.5kw is a lot for someone. .. Just not an impressive number. . To put it into perspective, say he had a cadence of 90rpm. To produce the 2.5kw or 4hp he would be producing around 316nm of torque... That is car numbers.. and not some crappy 1.6litre either.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Sorry. .. 2.5kw is a lot for someone. .. Just not an impressive number. . To put it into perspective, say he had a cadence of 90rpm. To produce the 2.5kw or 4hp he would be producing around 316nm of torque... That is car numbers.. and not some crappy 1.6litre either.
Given I know sod-all about cars that means nothing to me. Plus isn't this a forum about bicycles?

Anyways a quick browse of the internet suggests Mark Cavendish reaches 1600-2000 watts at peak (big variation but it was only a quick browse)
According to that TV ad for Momentum Energy Matt Goss reaches around 1500 watts in his sprint

Based on my 10 second internet search, 2500 watts is pretty high. I know I couldn't even get close to that number.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
With the low rpm out puts that humans can provide we are never going to put out high power outputs... What we lack in power we make up for in torque.

I think you are missing the point, yes the power output may be insanely high for a human but 2.5kw is not much, only barely a push mower power.

But car rivaling torque is impressive. Do you understand the concept of power and torque?

nonch

Likes Bikes
Anyway, unbelievable effort from Paul, coming off shoulder surgery and three months off the bike at the start of the year, then a broken collarbone, then food poisoning only two weeks ago!!