weight?

hey, im getting my new 07 glory next week and no they are reasonably heavie, but all the parts seem like a very good spec(race) to me. so where is all the weight coming from? the frame? is there anyway to make the bike lighter. how much is the frame worth brand new.

a post thanks to anyone who helps out:D

cheers

setonz

Likes Dirt
my uneducated guess would be the frame.
i have a giant trance and with all the light gear i have on it ( XTR, Thomson, carbon ) it still weighs 12.775 ready to go. Kore23 has a Yeti 575 fat bars ,stem and flat pedals it weighs 500 gms less than my trance.
would easily be 1-1.2kg less with my spec on his frame.

having said that, a bit more bulk in a Dh rig wouldnt be too much of a worry IMO. gravity is your friend in DH... look up Newtons first law of physics.

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose the weight distribution on the glory is low - around the shock mount - which might make it less noticeable particularly in combination with the reasonable pedaling platform.

Mini Reza

Likes Dirt
To make it lighter without breaking the budget you could do any the following:
-Change the seat and seatpost to a SDG I beam I-Fly
-Change the bar to a easton alloy bar
-Change the stem to a Thomson X4
-Convert rims to tubeless
-Convert the chainguide to a e13 light guide with a tree parts kit
-Run a 36 tooth chain ring ( e 13 one). I am well aware that it is only gonna be like 40 odd grams, but hey every little bit counts and it does all add up.
-Run a 7 inch rear disc rotor

If you have an abundance of money you could do the following:
-Ti spring
-Ti bolt kit
-Build a new wheelset that is lighter (I know that the supplied wheelset is absolute quality but it is quite heavy. You could easily make a much lighter one and still retain the strength)
-Carbon levers for brakes
-Change to a Easton carbon Dh handle bar

If you do decide to commit to a few of these, you would end up being able to save a good couple of kilos quite easily, if funds permit :)

stabbsy

Likes Dirt
i am not sure on this one but i have heard that the glory ships with incredibly heavy tyres, so one obvious one would be to buy some new tyres, like high rollers or minons

Regan

Eats Squid
The Glory DH frame is a little on the porky side at 5.5kg... but it's still a bit lighter then say a Yeti 303. Most of the weight on the stock build is the parts. The bars, stem and seat post are fairly hefty. The chain guide is also very weighty. It also comes with Maxxis DH tubes which weigh over 400g each! The Stock tyre are also very heavy!

#1. Change tyre to Maxxis Minion 2.5 F front, and Highroller 2.5 rear. Don’t go 2.7…too heavy

#2. Ditch the DH tubes and run Stan's Tubeless (It works AWESOME with the 729's!) or run XC tubes. You'll notice a vast improvement in acceleration!

#3. Change bars to 31.8 Easton Monkeylite DH. Stock bars are like lead pipe and have a weird bend!

#4. Change stem to Thomson X4. Stock stem is a brick!

#5. Ti Spring. Less than half the weight of the steel spring!

#6. Change seat post to Thomson Elite and seat to SDG Ti-Fly. This setup is lighter than I-Beam.

#7. Change chain guide to e.thirteen LG1. You’ll loose nearly 300g!

#8. Build new wheel. Although stock wheels are very good, they are fairly heavy. Hope pro II’s on Mavic 721 rims would be a good choice.

These changes would bring the weight down to around 18.5 kg

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
The Glory DH frame is a little on the porky side at 5.5kg... but it's still a bit lighter then say a Yeti 303. Most of the weight on the stock build is the parts. The bars, stem and seat post are fairly hefty. The chain guide is also very weighty. It also comes with Maxxis DH tubes which weigh over 400g each! The Stock tyre are also very heavy!

#1. Change tyre to Maxxis Minion 2.5 F front, and Highroller 2.5 rear. Don’t go 2.7…too heavy

#2. Ditch the DH tubes and run Stan's Tubeless (It works AWESOME with the 729's!) or run XC tubes. You'll notice a vast improvement in acceleration!

#3. Change bars to 31.8 Easton Monkeylite DH. Stock bars are like lead pipe and have a weird bend!

#4. Change stem to Thomson X4. Stock stem is a brick!

#5. Ti Spring. Less than half the weight of the steel spring!

#6. Change seat post to Thomson Elite and seat to SDG Ti-Fly. This setup is lighter than I-Beam.

#7. Change chain guide to e.thirteen LG1. You’ll loose nearly 300g!

#8. Build new wheel. Although stock wheels are very good, they are fairly heavy. Hope pro II’s on Mavic 721 rims would be a good choice.

These changes would bring the weight down to around 18.5 kg
Thats pretty ideal, providing you have 2.5k to play with!

The weight game is money sucking bitch from where there is no escape.

sit_still

Likes Dirt
ride it and youll be surprised what happens, at the recent DH round at eagle park 3 of the top 5 riders rode glory's, didnt seem to slow them down

topher

Likes Dirt
little trick i used to use for my xc bike, any bolts that didnt bear any load, id use alu bolts instead of ti bolts. probably wont work for dh though. Carbon brake levers they dont save that much weight thats more an ultimate weight weenie or just for bling factor.

Change seat and seat post. typically 2 heavy items on stock giant bikes, change to a thomson and a roadie saddle something cheap like a bbb there still reasonably light. Or an i beam saddle and post.

You could also experiment with bar tape and ritchey wsc foam grips, but i dont think theyd handle the rigors of dh tooo well.

With wheels definately run tubeless as a few people have mentioned. Stans no tubes works wonders high advise using it. Tubeless tyres are usually heavier than standard tyres and you can use some standard tyres with stans no tubes. Also perhaps try running a 2.35 on the rear. I know alot of people swear by 2.5's all round, but quite a few people are running 2.35's on the rear and still ripping really good times. That comes down to personally choice.

Not sure what cassette it comes with, however switching to a shimano cassette will save alot of grams over the sram equivalent.

Unless you start spending big dollars on modifications there is only soo much you can do.

hey everyone, i only have about $1000 left to play with, and everything everyone has said has been really help ful ill spend my money on the thing that will allow me to save the most weight! thanks so much guys:D

Regan

Eats Squid
hey everyone, i only have about $1000 left to play with, and everything everyone has said has been really help ful ill spend my money on the thing that will allow me to save the most weight! thanks so much guys:D
Well I'd go with tyre, and tubeless first. This will be the most noticeable deduction in weight as it's the rotational weight. That should only set you back around $250. Then I'd go Bars and stem...that would run away with around $450 if you were to go for Thomson X4 and Monkeylites. This will loose a little weight and make the cockpit feel HEAPS better... If you’ve still got some $$$ left, I’d spend it on a Ti spring at around $350.

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'd go with tyre, and tubeless first..........Then I'd go Bars and stem... This will loose a little weight and make the cockpit feel HEAPS better... .....
I would probably change the saddle & seatpost second --- mainly because as you pedal the bike swings laterally, causing the saddle to move side to side (up to several inches). This oscillation of the saddle like a pendulum requires energy, so if you reduce the weight most distal to the fulcrum (ie the bottom bracket) then over time and distance the bike will "feel" lighter. Not so much an issue on a downhill run with no pedalling, but much more important on enduro bikes.

GRIM

Likes Dirt
A change of tyres is the cheapest and one of the biggest weight reductions. You can go tubeless but if you couldn't be bothered just go 2.35 single ply tyres, either Maxxis or the Specialized Dual Compound Range (2.2, 2.3 or 2.4), you can save up to half a Kg on DH Tyres. I also picked up a Ti Spring from the Bike Shed at Mortdale and saved another 400g. I did a lot of research and found with a lot of other components you only save very small amounts of weight and pay a fortune (50g weight saving for over $100 worth it?), I'm just gonna replace these components as they break or wear out. I found a site called weight weenies which helped with the actual weights.

JnM

Likes Bikes
I saved ~80 grams going from stock giant grips to Titec Pork Rind foam grips. $40rrp, but I bought them off ebay for $15 with postage. 80g sounds insignificant but for $15 why not lighten up the front end?
Also, an ultegra 9 speed cassette from ebay for about $90 will drop 100g or more, depending on the teeth you use

Last edited:

supergayracer

Likes Dirt
I'd say eat less pies!!!
the glory frame is weak by design so they have to use beefed up tubing ( also remember giants aren't exactly the pricyest bikes around.) ... would like to point out I could name at least 4 world cup top 40 riders whose bikes weigh at 45 lbs.... less beer more pedaling yo!