Weird problem with XT derailleur

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Currently have an XT derailleur (M8000) that the clutch wouldn't stay in the "on" position. When riding, only takes a decent rock garden for the clutch lever to move to the off position. Never experienced this with any of my previous two bikes with M8000 nor on any test bike I've ridden. It's only 2 months old, purchased from CRC. Have rebuilt the clutch mechanism, but that doesn't affect the locking mechanism of the lever. Have tried increasing the tension on the clutch, but that doesn't stop the lever from coming undone. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with?

Would warranty it with Shimano Australia, but they are now back to been massive cunts about warranty and as of July 1st are not warranting anything brought outside of Australia, and they need proof of purchase from the customer and also the shop they brought it from that it came from Shimano Australia themselves.

I'd rather find solution other than taping the lever shut or sending it back to the UK. Any ideas?

Edit: Should have posted in parts and stuff, but only noticed until after I made the thread.

teK--

Eats Squid
Maybe grease got onto areas of the clutch where it shouldn't be, or somehow the cam part of the clutch has spun around and is not retaining the lever.

Not sure how Shimano refusing to warranty items they didn't import makes them massive cunts???? More like it was gracious of them to have done so previously.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I'll keep an eye on mine, see if it develops the same problem.

Also, bought, not brought.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe grease got onto areas of the clutch where it shouldn't be, or somehow the cam part of the clutch has spun around and is not retaining the lever.

Not sure how Shimano refusing to warranty items they didn't import makes them massive cunts???? More like it was gracious of them to have done so previously.
It's never worked properly from new, more chainslap/noise from the rear end that I'm used to. Has gotten worse over the last 2 rides. Was thinking that the cam that turns the clutch might be out by a notch or misaligned.

With SRAM's DSD, they'll deal with warranties from anywhere with proof of purchase. Shimano used to warranty stuff as long as you could provide proof of purchase. There are other issues that add up to Shimano Aus been hard to deal with as well.

Got any local bikes you could claim it came off?
Mmm, this has been brewing in my mind and is my normal go to for problems that are known faults, like SRAM Guides with their levers, XT Brakes with their lever pump up. Just found this weird that it seems no-one else has had this problem.

teK--

Eats Squid
Sometimes CRC and Wiggle will accept photos/video of faulty parts without having to send them back.

Other times they are pricks and want you to send the part back then wait for an assessment.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's not much in there that can go wrong, something is either loose from being damaged or in backwards. Keep looking you will find it.

Last edited: