Well, another one joins

ray

Likes Bikes
I too have joined the 29er fold.

KHS Solo One SE that i picked up at the Dirtworks sale, put it together with parts of a Peace 9er that i bought as well, i took it for it's maiden voyage today, having come from a freeride background ( Cannondale Gemini 1000 ), to a XC rider (Giant Reign 0 ) to this is a weird feeling....today i rode them all back to back making it even weirder!

It's the first time i've ridden a single speed, so is very experimental for me to see if i like it..turns out i do!..gotta get used to a hardtail again too...that's a luxury i'll miss.

Although i have no idea what to do with my thumbs now....any idea's?

cheers,

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

Jethrow

Likes Bikes
Your bike looks cool - I really like the frame colour :)

Not so sure about the single speed tho, still getting my head around that! But I am sure that's just me. Nice bike.

*rach*

Likes Bikes
use for thumbs??
maybe you could hold em up while riding your awesome big wheels *2 thumbs up*...

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I ended up buying one of the complete Solo-Ones from the DW sale... swapped out the wheels for my other set of commuting wheels (Velocity Dyad on Deore CL's) and the seatpost and saddle to one my bum prefers and it's been fun sything through the traffic on the daily ride to work! It's strictly for commuting at the moment but there's always the ability to to swap out the tyres for some SS fun on the dirt...

I've been amazed at how well this bike fits me stock standard. Love the bars that came with it but the Tektro brake levers and no name cable discs will be chucked when funds permit for something decent, probably Avid levers and BB7's. I will also get rid of the grips too... Not a fan of WTB grips... I've had the sliders slip forward once already - a known issue with the KHS Solo-Ones - but will use some liquid torque as recommended by a friend as soon as I get a chance...

For the price though, it's pretty impressive!

ray

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the comments guys,

Went around Manly Dam after work last night, first time off road on a single speed...awesome stuff, really enjoyed it, seemed like very pure riding if that dos'nt sound too wanky...the 29" wheels and 80mm fork worked perfetly, had a blast!, was very confident on all drops and bumps etc...hopped straight on my Reign 0 when i got back, man it felt small!!!

Ray,

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
I too joined the exalted ranks of 29" owners, recently getting a Epic 29er.

Ditched the original seat and grips, added a bottle cage, Edge GPS and AY-UP light mounts and that's about it.

Unfortunately first ride out the fork shat itself completely and has had to be sent back in for repairs.

JP

Likes Dirt
I ended up buying one of the complete Solo-Ones from the DW sale... swapped out the wheels for my other set of commuting wheels (Velocity Dyad on Deore CL's) and the seatpost and saddle to one my bum prefers and it's been fun sything through the traffic on the daily ride to work! It's strictly for commuting at the moment but there's always the ability to to swap out the tyres for some SS fun on the dirt...

I've been amazed at how well this bike fits me stock standard. Love the bars that came with it but the Tektro brake levers and no name cable discs will be chucked when funds permit for something decent, probably Avid levers and BB7's. I will also get rid of the grips too... Not a fan of WTB grips... I've had the sliders slip forward once already - a known issue with the KHS Solo-Ones - but will use some liquid torque as recommended by a friend as soon as I get a chance...

For the price though, it's pretty impressive!
Hey, hey, hey, same here. I grabbed a complete medium which fits me purty good. After much faffing about the mods are: 90mm stem (flipped), 700mm wide flat bars with bar ends and Oury grips, An old Rock Shox suspension seatpost (I love it), more suitable saddle, and a set of old Deore 525 hydro's from the vault.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be riding flat bars off road again but they feel juuuust right. Not too bad off road, though the first time I went down the Shaw's Ridge hill like I was on the VT I rattled every bit of me loose. A more tentative approach and better line slection on the next run proved a smart choice.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Hey, hey, hey, same here. I grabbed a complete medium which fits me purty good. After much faffing about the mods are: 90mm stem (flipped), 700mm wide flat bars with bar ends and Oury grips, An old Rock Shox suspension seatpost (I love it), more suitable saddle, and a set of old Deore 525 hydro's from the vault.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be riding flat bars off road again but they feel juuuust right. Not too bad off road, though the first time I went down the Shaw's Ridge hill like I was on the VT I rattled every bit of me loose. A more tentative approach and better line slection on the next run proved a smart choice.
You're lucky that wasn't all you rattled loose dude... Lucky I have the Lenz, I'd hate to turn up to a ride and us have the same bikes... That would be like 2 chicks turning up to a party in the same dress... :p

JP

Likes Dirt
You're lucky that wasn't all you rattled loose dude... Lucky I have the Lenz, I'd hate to turn up to a ride and us have the same bikes... That would be like 2 chicks turning up to a party in the same dress... :p
Nah, it just shows you have good taste.

Saw a guy on the weekend with the same shirt as me. After a second of sizing up we both said "Cool shirt" and went on our merry ways. Lucky, because if he had've tried to get rowdy I would have had to deal with him in front of all those people. His lucky day :)

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Nah, it just shows you have good taste.

Saw a guy on the weekend with the same shirt as me. After a second of sizing up we both said "Cool shirt" and went on our merry ways. Lucky, because if he had've tried to get rowdy I would have had to deal with him in front of all those people. His lucky day :)
Damn it... I nearly feel off the chair I was laughing so hard... :D:D:D

Sorry to the OP for going OT... I now return you normal programming... These new KHS' rock!

ray

Likes Bikes
well i gotta say i'm very happy with it, i got the XL as i'm a clydesdale, it fits perfectly, i need to sort the gearing at some point as i'm spinning out on the flat, but no hurry there as it means i can climb hills, also need to pull the seat back on the rails as i've got a lot of weight forward, tonights job..

And i love the green colour, i've now got white bars, seat and chain..very cool contrast!