Well done opposition leader for being realistic - Apology thoughts.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
He shouldnt of said sorry! john howard did the right thing. but we did give them education when we "stole" them it was for there own good.... rudds to soft to be running australia.
as Greg once said "hey im Greg".
ifonlytheydletyoukeepyourancestryandleftyouinapenalcolony..

As Craig once said "Shut up idiot"

nitwit

Likes Dirt
I would have to agree with red death's sentiments. I was listening to the Rudd apology in the car at work and felt it was one of the most emotionally moving speeches by a PM to date. It is a great step forward to reconciliation with the original inhabitants of this country. As for any monetary compensation, it would be ideal if money was directed at improving the living standards of indigenous Australians in remote areas of the country. In providing better health and educational services for these people and helping to preserve what is left of their cultural history. Giving individuals money that would realistically only benefit them and their direct family/friends is what I'm hoping does not happen. Money needs to be directed at the collective indigenous community rather than individuals.

Anyway, I feel it is a positive step forward and i am extremely proud that our newly elected government decided to go forth with it. I wont comment on Dr Nelsons speech as my feeling are much the same as what has already been said. Well done Kev...

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Yes, a great day. I don't have any problem with Rudd having a subtle go at what's-his-name the ex PM either. Australia should apologise for him too.

It's worth noting, reading these posts, there are still many references to 'them' and 'they' (indigenous folk) being bandied about (not including that Gizmogecko fuckwit). I'm not one to espouse any sort of patriotism, but what we saw today was the first time in decades that an Australian government allowed all of us to feel good about where we might be headed as a nation.

It is right to be sorry for so many children being stolen. It's not rocket science.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think about this when its compared to today's system of taking kids away from their parents (and putting them in foster homes which seem to be just as unstable, anyway) if the old folks are deemed not capable of providing a safe environment?

I know that stolen generation was taken away based entirely on race, but still, I'm curious...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah rightio. I also violently disagree with GizmoGecko. But, he is allowed to have his opinion and to voice it. He wasn't abusive to anyone and you all should return that courtesy.

Last edited:
Give us a break. there just going to sue us now. and then spend the money on goon. dr nelson is correct. and kids today should still be taken from there parents and given education. when they "stole" them aboriginals there intensions were good they only wanted to give them a chance in life.

As chopper read once said "Harden the fark up"

kyleman

Likes Dirt
I thought he did good. A tad long..but I reckon it would be a bit hard trying to apologise for something you didnt do, and to thousands and thousands of people, one slip up and your a dead man.
I like the day, they should make it a public holiday because its part of our history and stuff now, and I got to say sorry to harley at school:p

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Ok, not going to bother arguing the actual issue at hand:p

But you would have to agree that throughout the history of the world, there has been many instances where the group in control or with the power, mistreats or acts inhumanely to certain people based on their race. So many examples in fact that Im not going to bother listing any.

My question is....Is it common in the modern world for a Government or group to apologize for the actions of the past like Kevin Rudd and the ALP is? And is it common for them to then provide compensation to that group for the suffering caused?

I can't say Ive really heard of any examples of this but then again I may not have been paying attention:eek: So is this action sort of groundbreaking in the world? Or is it moreso the socially acceptable/popular thing to do? Did the American Government apologize to the native Americans at any point? And did they gain any compensation?

In my opinion Kevin Rudd couldn't give a crap about indigenous people, he is simply doing as much as he can to win brownie points with the Australian populus, something John Howard never did and in that way I kinda respected him.

Binaural

Eats Squid
maybe you should apologise for that remark dont bring my parents into this. its just tottaly un-called for.
Given you had the hide to claim that aboriginal children were taken from their parents to give them an education, while revealing your own wouldn't cut it in romper room, I think you were in fact begging for it. Don't you have a bridge to go hide under, troll?

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
In a way he does kind of have a point- we've all seen how much good the millions of dollars poured into the issue by previous governments has done.

Brendan Nelson wasn't bad. Maybe not appropriate for the time, but there are times when someone does need to speak the hard truth. I didn't see any of the "distinuished guests" turn him down. Don't want to commit any anachranisms here seemed to be the motif...

Last edited:

nizai

Likes Dirt
Ok, not going to bother arguing the actual issue at hand:p

But you would have to agree that throughout the history of the world, there has been many instances where the group in control or with the power, mistreats or acts inhumanely to certain people based on their race. So many examples in fact that Im not going to bother listing any.

My question is....Is it common in the modern world for a Government or group to apologize for the actions of the past like Kevin Rudd and the ALP is? And is it common for them to then provide compensation to that group for the suffering caused?

I can't say Ive really heard of any examples of this but then again I may not have been paying attention:eek: So is this action sort of groundbreaking in the world? Or is it moreso the socially acceptable/popular thing to do? Did the American Government apologize to the native Americans at any point? And did they gain any compensation?

In my opinion Kevin Rudd couldn't give a crap about indigenous people, he is simply doing as much as he can to win brownie points with the Australian populus, something John Howard never did and in that way I kinda respected him.
Heres the list of Japan's Apologies...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

Theres a section of Apologies for Apartheid on this page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_under_apartheid

German acknowledgement of War Crimes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_war_crimes

Seems pretty common.

N

Fusion

Likes Dirt
Also adding to Nizai's list, NZ is about 50 years ahead of us in terms of indigenous rights. Yes, there's been arguments over compensation and land rights, but on the whole Australian reconciliation has a looong way to go. From what I gather Canada has also apologised (or there abouts) to their indigenous population too. The apology today from Kevin RUdd was just the start.

Also, let's not forget that we are just not apologising for taking a few kids away from their parents. We are apologising, I feel, for the Government sanctioned cultural genocide that occurred from the early 1900s all the way up until the 1970s. Yes, you can draw parallels to white children in foster homes, but they were never removed for the express purpose of 'smoothing the pillow of a "dying race" ' by attempting to breed the indigenous people of Australia out of existence.

lost it

Likes Bikes
Here's a question,
Is not approximately 3 and a half billion dollars a year (06-07) enough compensation considering the aboriginal people only make up about 3% of the Australian population? Apologies for past injustices aside, I believe the Australian government is doing more than enough.

Last edited: