We're going to need a bigger boat. (AKA the shark thread)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I love this shot, ? if its genuine or not.

It's genuine although the bloke in the canoe is a marine biologist.

so apparently it's perfectly acceptable for him to go paddling into known great white shark hangouts with a camera crew in hand and call it educational yet when I get my mates to film me being pulled by a ute through the CBD wearing a welders mask, mankini and ice skates at 3am on a Sunday morning its apparently 'reckless and dangerous behaviour'

Pffft. Yet again it's one rule for the left-wing academic intelligensia and another for Joe Public... :rolleyes:

J@se

Breezeway Bandit

so apparently it's perfectly acceptable for him to go paddling into known great white shark hangouts with a camera crew in hand and call it educational yet when I get my mates to film me being pulled by a ute through the CBD wearing a welders mask, mankini and ice skates at 3am on a Sunday morning its apparently 'reckless and dangerous behaviour'

Pffft. Yet again it's one rule for the left-wing academic intelligensia and another for Joe Public... :rolleyes:
If you'd called it an "Art" project you would have been given a grant!

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A graphic deisigner at work got a warning letter for putting a shark in a Bondi real estate beach front advert circling a surfer for a laugh, but it went to print somehow and was sent out for postal delivery. The real estate was very shitty lol

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Hahaha so not only the cross is full on..

Norco Maniac

Is back!

pics, please. especially of the mankini.....

Hahaha so not only the cross is full on..
the 'Cross is tame tho Oxford St is pretty cool at night if you like drag bars and toy stores. come and see Elizabeth on pension day....

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt

So you want to move to you Moon, so you can moon??

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a few shark stories, both whilst at work on offshore rigs/platforms/barges/ and whilst surfing in Western Australia and South Australia. However I have never been as scared as the time I was bailed up on the bike by several Giant Geese at Lake Monger in Perth. These Giant Geese (GooseyGanderus Gigantus) are long time residents, and they normally had no issue with pedestrians, picnickers and cyclists etc. However, there was a small group of Rouge Geese who started harrassing other people recreating (is that even a word?) and I was one of their victims. Much to the amusement of a group of preschoolers and their carers/teachers. These Geese were the equivalent of a Great White on two bright orange webbed feet, a large hissing Annaconda, a Vulture with their huge wings, the hatred of a Xenomorph from Alien and the eyes of John Jarratt when he wasn't entertaining kids on Playschool. These Geese were pure evil, and I live with the scar on my hip and elbow and the far deeper emotional scars. This was not a Gaggle of Geese, this was a bunch of feathered sociopaths who relished watching A ClockWorked Orange.

Below is a recreation of the initial moments of the insurgency, depicting the stealth and malicious intent of the Goose who initiated the attack.
Anger Management Goose.jpg

Sharks..........meh.

Last edited:

enjoi

Likes Bikes
"On average, there are about 65 shark attacks worldwide each year; a handful are fatal. You are more likely to be killed by a dog, snake or in a car collision with a deer. You’re also 30 times more likely to be killed by lightning and three times more likely to drown at the beach than die from a shark attack, according to ISAF."

"Still not convinced? Consider another ISAF statistic: In one year in the U.S., sharks injured just 13 people while nearly 200,000 were hurt in accidents involving ladders, toilets and chainsaws."

"And in an older, but memorable study by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, researchers tracked vending machine deaths from 1977 to 1995. Thirty-seven people were killed when they toppled a vending machine to get a reluctant quarter or cola -- an average of about two per year, or twice the number killed by sharks in the US. Just when you thought it was safe to get a Dr. Pepper..."

http://news.discovery.com/earth/shark-attacks-what-are-the-odds.html

I propose that not only should we eliminate every type of shark species that have developed over millions and millions of years of evolution, but we also eradicate everything potentially hazardous on the planet.

This includes things like electricity, cars, bicycles, walking, eating and fire.

If something is dangerous, I recommend killing it as soon as possible.

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Are you sure, ladder Goat? Sounds made up and dubious to me.... I'd appreciate a link to back that up.
"Research indicates that about 100 million sharks are killed each year by humans -- roughly 11,000 sharks every hour"

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/fish/shark-fishing.htm

"In fact over the last 5 years only an average of 3 people were killed each year by sharks with a maximum of 4 in the highest year."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_are_killed_by_sharks_every_year

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JUST KILL EVERYTHING AND LEAVE HUMANS AND DOWNHILLING ALONE, IMAGINE HOW GOOD MOUTAIN BIKING WOULD BE WITHOUT ALL THIS CRAPPY NATURE CRAP IN OUR WAY, AND SURFING? PFFFT, THE OCEAN WILL BE ACID SOON ANYHOW :help:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
"On average, there are about 65 shark attacks worldwide each year; a handful are fatal. You are more likely to be killed by a dog, snake or in a car collision with a deer. You’re also 30 times more likely to be killed by lightning and three times more likely to drown at the beach than die from a shark attack, according to ISAF."

"Still not convinced? Consider another ISAF statistic: In one year in the U.S., sharks injured just 13 people while nearly 200,000 were hurt in accidents involving ladders, toilets and chainsaws."
In Western Australia in the last 10 months there have been 5 fatal shark attacks.

Read that again - because that is a truly outstanding statistic.

We are used to 1/2 dozen wordwide according to that article, yet a population of barely 2m have had that total by themselves.

Either there are way more sharks suddenly, or the sharks that are there are attacking for some reason - the tired old argument of us being in their environment might apply for the previous expected risk, but 5 inside a year is a new paradigm.

enjoi

Likes Bikes
True - but maybe this has just been a bad year. I think it would need to continue for several years before we are really able to say shark attacks have increased overall.

On a graph of time vs attacks, perhaps this year could be viewed as an 'outlier'.

Or maybe we're fucked.

Either way, I'm strongly opposed to shark culling. These creatures have been here a LOT longer than us.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
http://www.news.com.au/national/liv...wa-shark-attacks/story-fndo4e3y-1226429751498

"A spokesperson for the animal protection society, Alexia Wellbelove, said "thousands of dead sheep ... either whole or minced" were being thrown overboard as ships departed ports for the Middle East "

"The society says it has written to the West Australian and Federal Government with a documented list of shark attacks and presence of live export vessels, urging them to investigate possible links.

"This list shows that on a number of occasions, and particularly over the past 10 months, there appears to be a strong connection between shark attacks and the presence of live export vessels in the area," she said."

???? Perhaps the cause should be looked for and dealt with.

BTW, if the WA attacks have been mainly GW's, and they are one of the species protected, then either there is an extraneous cause (as above), or their population is far greater, in which case it follows perhaps that the time for protection is over. that does not mean a cull, just treated like the other 95% of sharks when caught by fishermen.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
BTW, if the WA attacks have been mainly GW's, and they are one of the species protected, then either there is an extraneous cause (as above), or their population is far greater, in which case it follows perhaps that the time for protection is over. that does not mean a cull, just treated like the other 95% of sharks when caught by fishermen.
Great White's aren't fit for human consumption as they have very high levels of mercury in their flesh so they can't be treated like the other 95% of sharks when caught by fisherman. Unless of course you are referring to the wholesale slaughter of sharks just to remove their fins for shark-fin soup. I can't really see that one getting past the environmental lobby though.

The 'imbalanced food chain' argument (i.e that they are attacking because of over-fishing) is bullshit too. Large Pointers prefer to chow down on large warm-blooded mammals such as seals and whales (and whale afterbirth apparently - their breath must reek!). Seeing as the commercial killing of both species is outlawed in Australia and we have large numbers of migrating pods of whales constantly passing by our girt, it's a veritable smorgasbord out there for pointers and this will have naturally led to an increase in numbers as the food chain balances itself.

We're not aquatic creatures after all so we really need to find a better reason to start culling one of natures truly epic wonders other than a handful of water users having twitchy arseholes.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
i, like many others, havnt had much in the way of first hand encounters with sharks...bar one, this is it

most of my life has been on the mornington peninsula in victoria(basically surf and wine) so i always was in the water, mid last year i was diving just of sorrento back beach with 2 others, we had been down for a while and we all knew we were short on air, so i turned and started swimming along the bottom to where the boat is, the other 2 were closer and had already begun their rise, however when they had gotten close to the top, they(and me), noticed a shark nearby, and they shit themselves, when climbing into the boat they splashed around causing the shark to come poke over, by this time im mid rise, but only problem is theres now a big arse shark poking around (im sure it wasnt that big, but when your in the water, and theres a shark, with fuck all air to hide, it sure seems big!) but luckily i just kept on my slow rise and he just swam away....those two arseholes still owe me a drink for that shit

enjoi

Likes Bikes
We're not aquatic creatures after all so we really need to find a better reason to start culling one of natures truly epic wonders other than a handful of water users having twitchy arseholes.
Couldnt have said it better myself, summed up my thoughts exactly.