Western Sydney Regional Park

onyabike

Likes Bikes
On the odd occassion I have ridden the roadie along the M7 and observered the billboard stating "Western Sydney Regional Park - Yours to Explore" along with a number of mowed horse trails. I have always thought the area would be good for a mountain bike loop.

When driving out that way recently I have noticed what appears to be some single track developing on one of decents near Elizabeth drive (I think?). Has anyone ridden out there? Is there a bit of loop? whats it like and whats the distance?

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fairfield City farm had the olympic track.
They have been approached re trails but weren't overly keen suprising give they use our sport as part of their promo

tango

Likes Bikes
There is a some good trails, not very technical, but it consist of paved road like they mentioned earlier and dirt trails, its almost like a fire trail....just follow the signs and most of the dirt trails are heading towards from Great Western Highway to Nurragingy Park all the way to Dean Park.

Just try it, and see how you'll like it.

onyabike

Likes Bikes
Yep I agree the chick on the western Sydney regional park billboard is good to look at, not much else to look at along that bike track, but hey it’s safe and has lights for those early or late rides!

I am also aware that there is the Park Lands track, a cycle path that runs along the canal and into the burbs and that City Farm was where the Sydney Olympic mountain bike track was. However I was keen to know if anyone has ridden on the western side of the M7 near one of the two overpasses close to Elizabeth drive. Even when driving along the motor way heading north you can see a trail that runs downhill along the fence line.

I guess might have to venture out for a bit of exploring when I have a bit of time.

Firemanmikey

Likes Dirt
I did the M7 on mtb recenty from Prestons end. I found some single track off to the east (which only lasted about a klm then came to a suburb, then about another k up m7 another.. both fun to ride.
then i went to the west on one of the bike/walk overpasses and found a track that slogged up to water tower and comms towers, was ok and there were more tracks out to the west from here but decided against it..
all in all was a bit of fun and filled in a couple of hrs and kept me out of peak hr traffic to get back to the east.
hope this helps..

univer

Likes Bikes
Ive ridden the single track down from the billboard a couple of times now. It pretty hairy but cool to do, tracks are now starting to appear in and around that area, probably the best place is in and around the tower,u can easily link up a 1 to 2 hr ride. Its all mainly mowed track, a bit of single track. Its a good workout and great for night riding.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it Ok to ride there?
WSMTB has identifed this as a potential area for devlopment is riding there now going to jeperdise future plans?

univer

Likes Bikes
Ive been riding around the tower for last 3 or 4 years.....ive seen the ranger a couple times during this time and said g'day with no issue.

On the other side of the M7, the gate onthe western side of the elizabeth drv bridge is locked however there is a section of the fence removed. The funny part is if u head south bound to the next bridge, crossover and head right, you will end up at the elizabeth drv bridge with the gate locked stopping u from crossing to the east side. The last time i rode it there were no signs and or gates or the like, u simply ride up to the top of the hill where the dam and head to the elizabeth drv bridge.

The regional park would make a fantastic venue for a race club. Theres plenty of parking and toilets and being in the metro area, easy for ppl to get to. The landscape would suit xc racing as there is plenty of hills and flats and there is enough land to build a decent track length. They put the olympic track next door so its only a barbed wire fence apart.