Western Wedgetail

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Just wondering if someone can give me directions to where the beginner DH track starts at stromlo. thanks.

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
Hey guys,
Just wondering if someone can give me directions to where the beginner DH track starts at stromlo. thanks.
Following the main sealed road up the hill, continue on the sealed road past the start of the main DH track to the crest of the hill, it changes into dirt fire road, then turn right, go down a dip then up the other side about 100 m, on the left you will see the grave site. Continue over the crest of the hill, and you will see the start of the track on your left. The track winds down the hill in a generally northwesterly direction, and ends up at the western car park, which is several k from the main car park.

Western Wedgetail is more like a XC track than a DH track. A better "beginner DH" track IMO is the so called "berm track", which starts immediately after the bridge on the main DH track. You just veer left coming out of the bridge instead of going straight ahead on the main DH track.

Or you could just ride the b lines on the main track, you can roll the whole thing. I've seen a guy do a race run on a road bike with MTB tyres on the main track.....

Last edited:

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Following the main sealed road up the hill, continue on the sealed road past the start of the main DH track to the crest of the hill, it changes into dirt fire road, then turn right, go down a dip then up the other side about 100 m, on the left you will see the grave site. Continue over the crest of the hill, and you will see the start of the track on your left. The track winds down the hill in a generally northwesterly direction, and ends up at the western car park, which is several k from the main car park.
Unfortunately you can no longer get all the way to the gravesite on the road, as the ANU have now put a locked gate just at the end of the sealed road (right next to the last building you go past). Reasons? Not sure, but I think it was to stop people driving to the gravesite.

This leaves you will two alternatives if you want to drive to the summit:

Option 1.
Ride around the gate, and then take the big dipper of a firetrail down and then up to the start of the Western Wedgetail just past the gravesite turnoff. The climb out of the dip is longer and steeper than the descent so you will inevitably need to get off and push the heavier bikes up (although, with a good run-up...).

Option 2.
Park at the main DH track trailhead, and rather than taking the DH track down to the carpark take the trail that heads off to the left as you are looking east. This is the main CORC trunk trail, and will take you down via some good singletrack and fast fireroad descent to the bottom of Echidna Gap switchbacks. From there it is a not too steep climb to the top and the start of the Western Wedgetail. A mate of mine road up it on his BigHit so it's easily doable on the bigger bikes.

Astro

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Rode this trail on the weekend. It is a great addition to Stromlo's range of trails. I suspect that it is very easy for the DH'ers, but for a punter like me - it was right on the money. Plenty of easy jumps on the bottom and some harder lines up higher. I don't mean DH hard but they enable people who want to progress to take small steps to build skills and confidence.

It is one of my favourite trails, so give it a go. Then ride back and give it another go!