Wet season in Cairns

Timmay023

Likes Bikes
I don't see the end of wet season just yet but I am watching my legs change from relatively fit looking turkey legs into very very skinny sticks. I need to ride but just hate the idea that it will be a full mud slog for not much fun.

Does anyone have any suggestions where you can get a good fix at this time of year without needing a full internal/external pressure spray afterwards?

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Yeah it's been a bad one alright. A few of us have been riding Quaid and copperload just to keep the fitness going. Even with quaid its too wet and muddy to ride Black mountain rd/bump so we have unfortunately just been sticking to the bitumen. And thats not fun..... but what can you do?

L14M

Likes Bikes
What Would Sam Do?

Drink a cup of cement and harden up?
:p
Gotta admit that the wet season is abit annoying. :/ mud runs are only fun for so long.
There isn't much you can do really...

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Black Mountain road, starting from the Kuranda end is in great condition ATM. Cant comment on its condition north of Quaids.
Rode 40klm round trip yesterday(24/3) , and no problems... get up there, its a nice ride.

Just keep a eye out for snakes, saw 2 snakes,coloured black on the road !:eek:

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Rode Quaid/Black Mountain/Bump a couple of days ago. Black Mountain was in great shape. The Bump wasn't too good, the single trail section was ordinary and the DH section was fairly rutted and couldn't carry the usual speed in fear of catching the front into the ruts!
Still had a good day though, good to get off the bitumen.

Have also seen quite a few snakes along the way as well, couple of nice big pythons as well as a couple of them nasty black ones!

Last edited: