Wet shoes???

omac

Likes Dirt
I went for a ride in the poring rain & about 1/2 way through my 30k loop my shoes (5.10 impacts) we're soaked, so at this point I decided to ride straight through the puddles, even though I had HEAPS of fun, the end result was a sloshy feeling with every pedal or step taken.

I was considering some water proof boot gators that I already own like these
oilskin_boot_guard.jpg

Are there any better options to stop or at least reduce the water getting in ?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Buy the new five tens haha.

Maybe you could spray them with the nano stuff.
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ayRImPvcQU[/video]

It won't stop water from getting in from the too but it will help prevent soaking through.

Long riding pant will help the water getting in the top although not entirely.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I dont mind wet shoes worst part is that they take so long to dry out properly. I walk through a fresh water creek to get to one of our trail networks. Easier than trying to get across on the round rocks as the clips are slippery lol.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get some TEVA Links before they are all gone have some sort of water proofing/repellant tech built into them.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aren't those boot guards to stop stuff getting in via the top? Like seeds and bugs etc. I don't think they'd be too waterproof...

ChopSticks

Banned
running flats or clips?

the boot guards are only to stop grass clippings :p not water !

if you're desperate (which I have, so laugh all you like) is to tie 2 plastic bags over your foot/ankle LOL

theres always the shoe covers that roadies use.... but have a feeling they dont look as rad as plastic bags :thumb:

omac

Likes Dirt
Im riding with flats & 5.10 impacts & I thought about plastic bags but they'll make my feet sweat like crazy

The gaiters I have are (oil skin)waterproof but they will not completely stop the water from running down my shin & getting in through the top

I do have a new pair of 5.10 Karvers (with the lace cover) that I could treat with a water repellant, then I was thinking of getting some of these gaiters?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281230956811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It certainly wont look cool but all most no one will see me when its pissing down anyway. I suppose another option is to just buy a cheap pair of shoes

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
Me experience has been that waterproof shoes dont work.

I ordered from CRC/Wiggle the shimano wet weather shoe, MW-80, current model is mw-81. It has a goretex outer skin and you cant get access to the cleat from the inside the shoe, meaning you wont get anthing in the shoe. I'm sure if you put your dry feet in the bath no water would get in.

The problem is that the top cuff has to be flexible enough so that you can get a foot in, and that is where the water WILL get it.

Once the water gets in, it has nowhere to go and you start peddaling in a lake.

I also have waterproof socks and have the same problem.

My advice is that it is a waste of time trying to keep fet dry if it is really raining. I would take more care to keep feet warm.

I ride to work everyday in Melbourne and once the shoes wear out, I wont be replacing them with other wet weather shoes. I'd just buy a second pair of shoes and rotate them so that it takes one day to dry out one pair of shoes.

The mw-80 shoes are reasonable comfortable, but they weight a LOT more than my XC60 shoes.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just stuff your wet shoes with newspaper when you get home. Dries them out quite well.
You don't own 5.10s do you... I rode on Tuesday in mine, put 5 lots of paper through them and had them in front of the fire and on the third day they were still dampish lol

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You don't own 5.10s do you... I rode on Tuesday in mine, put 5 lots of paper through them and had them in front of the fire and on the third day they were still dampish lol
It may not be as effective on urine. But you won't have tinea.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Over shoes sound perfect but will they fit over a big 5.10 ?
I saw a guy in japan rocking a pair of shopping bags over his snowboard boots. Not sure of the strength for mtb. You may need garbage bags. Pedal pins may also cause some problems.