What Are My Options? Dying Rock Shox Boxxers.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Hello all,
recently my 05 boxxer races began leaking small amounts of oil onto the stanchions. It stopped and went away for about a month but the problem has since returned and is now worse. i have spoken to the lbs and he says at the moment that should be riding fine, and that in a month or so we should top up the oil to keep it full.

This sounds ok, but the problem is still getting more severe. He told me a service from Rock Shox will cost $130-$150. my questions are, should I get them serviced? or should I invest a little more money into buying a second hand set of 06-08 boxxer races or 888's etc?

if i was to get them serviced, what would the performance be like compared to the later model races. if performance is going to be a lot better on 06 races i would like to upgrade.

What do you guys think i should do?

cheers, Cameron

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Sounds a little iffy to me man.

If your getting second hand forks, what says they dont need a service too? Its always a good idea to have your bike shop look over second hand components of that nature anyways...so either way, your going to have to service something.

Id be fixing what you have. 2006+ are a fair way ahead of anything previous (in terms of damping and performance) but its hihgly likely your current for will feel like a completely different fork after you have them properly serviced anyways.

Good luck!

S.

ex offender
Go to another LBS. He told you to top the oil up now and then because they're leaking? How about... FIX THE LEAK! If your LBS mechanic hasn't pointed this out to you he should NOT be working on your bike. You need new seals dude, your old ones are worn out. Buy some (they're about $50-60 if I recall correctly), download the Rockshox service manual, buy some fork oil from a moto shop, and fix it yourself. Boxxers are very easy forks to work on. They are not dying, they are not fucked, they don't need replacement, they simply need new seals - seals are a wearing part and need to be replaced periodically.

Stint

Likes Dirt
Have you been getting those forks serviced periodically from you got it when new? If it has only developed problems now, then you've done extraordinarily well with them.

Do yourself and your bike a favour, and get them serviced and seals replaced - would be my honest suggestion.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rockshox servicing is pricey.
I definately reccomend buying seals and replacing them yourself as S. suggested.
Failing this, ask around locally for someone who has the know how to replace the seals; I used to get my seals replaced in exchange for a six pack back in the day!

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go to another LBS. He told you to top the oil up now and then because they're leaking? How about... FIX THE LEAK! If your LBS mechanic hasn't pointed this out to you he should NOT be working on your bike. You need new seals dude, your old ones are worn out. Buy some (they're about $50-60 if I recall correctly), download the Rockshox service manual, buy some fork oil from a moto shop, and fix it yourself. Boxxers are very easy forks to work on. They are not dying, they are not fucked, they don't need replacement, they simply need new seals - seals are a wearing part and need to be replaced periodically.
$10 bucks from the local bearing and seal outlet.

daever

lunatic rant extraordinaire
Your on the right track there buddy!

You need to buy yourself a second hand set of forks so you dont have to service your original ones! *Snort Snort* - Then! when your second hand set needs servicing, buy another second hand set to avoid servicing your current ones! After about a week, when the 3rd set is in need servicing, buy a 4th set! Then on the following week, when the 4th set needs a service (because its second hand) buy the first set back off the guy you sold it too. By this time, these forks will most likley already be serviced by the chump you sold it too. This way you never have to service your forks, ever, because that wouldn't make sense right?

cameron_15

Eats Squid
ok, I probably said that bad at the start. when i took the bike to the lbs for a service i told him that i had seen a little bit of oil on the right stanchion. he told me not to worry about it as it was only a little bit after each ride.

since the service the problem has gotten worse. i haven't yet contacted the lbs about it. when it was with him he said if it gets worse we can send it back to rock shox for a service, which should cost around $150.

the forks have not been looked at or serviced since i have had them, which is over a year. that is almost certainly the reason they are leaking. i remember seeing a thread made by mike a while ago on how to change oil or something in rock shox boxxers. i'll give that a crack.

how can i find out how heavy the oil is that is in it at the moment? is it possible? i have no idea.

thanks guys.

$10 bucks from the local bearing and seal outlet.
now all i've got to do is find this magical place.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
just picked up my bike today. i kept riding with it and popped the right seal at the you yangs entering a rock garden. i got the seals replaced at the lbs which i now work for so all i had to pay for was the seals.

thanks for the replies guys;)

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
It worries me slightly, that a guy who could not diagnose worn seals is now working at a bike shop. But then again, there are far worse mechanics out there.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
It worries me slightly, that a guy who could not diagnose worn seals is now working at a bike shop. But then again, there are far worse mechanics out there.
I did work experience there and they taught me heaps. I'm still learning. i had diagnosed the worn seals and i was just wondering whether i should get rock shox to do it or get new forks etc.

anyway, i knew lots about bikes and fixing them. i just didn't know how to change the seals, which i think is understandable.

and for the record all my work has been excellent so far which i was i was offered the job in the first place. they wouldn't have hired me if i was stupid. i was the first work experience kid in about 5 years to name all 3 tools he held up. they were a crank extractor, chain whip and a "persuasion" bar.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i was the first work experience kid in about 5 years to name all 3 tools he held up. they were a crank extractor, chain whip and a "persuasion" bar.
thats saying more about the other kids then you....

the fact you could diagnose the seals as the problem and thinking you should buy new forks instead of fixing $50 seals scares me more

shiznik

Banned
the fact you could diagnose the seals as the problem and thinking you should buy new forks instead of fixing $50 seals scares me more
Agreed, but personal opinions on this guys mechanical experience aside this thread is over so lets let it die.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same thing is happening to mine, they are getting old. Hopefully I get time to take my forks into my lbs and service/rebuild them and get seals replaced, etc. and I will let you know how much it will cost..... But I am thinking whether I should bother or not..... I could just upgrade.... So I guess I am in the same situation as you.