what are the best tyres for a norco 125

DALE09

Likes Bikes
hey guys just wondering if i could draw off your infinite knowledge on tires and rims for norco 125 as i need some????:confused:

MTB MATE

Likes Dirt
There are no best tyres.

Khe mac 2 park and dirt are ridiculously lite, roll very fast. 500grams

Holly rollers are solid grips well. 1000grams

Scwhalbe table tops are good aswell. 572grams

I have riding holly rollers and mac 2 parks and can vouch for those. Just depends on price range and what you want in a tyre.

DALE09

Likes Bikes
well i got $500 bucks but i don't want to spend all of that because im saving for a downhill bikes as well so about $250

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
250 is plenty on money for tyres, you could get 2 for about 80bucks.
Your Tylers mate yeh? hes at mine now, his got s sick back tyre that he got new for 40bucks at a shop in sunbury, what you wanna get?

Dante666

Likes Dirt
Everybody seems to mix up holy rollers and high rollers.......

and what do you mostly ride? Park, Dirt etc?

Toff

Likes Dirt
thanks ben but i need a whole wheel set at this point hence the new thread
When you say wheelset, do you mean hubs+spokes+rims+tyres? Or just new rims and tyres?

As far as complete wheelsets go, you won't get much for $250. You certainly won't be able to go into your LBS and pick out rims and hubs and get them to build it all up for you. You'll be pretty much limited to pre-built wheels from TBSM, CRC etc. And only cheap builds at that.

Even if all you're after is new rims and tyres, you'll have to factor in the cost of re-building the new rims onto the old hubs, which requires new spokes and nipples as well. I got a street/ DJ wheelset built up a few months back, I already had the rims and hubs and got my LBS to supply DT comp spokes and Pro-lock brass nipples. 36 spoke wheels, whole build cost me $250. Using cheaper spokes and nipples will bring the cost down, but labour alone was $80.

Depending on what you have currently, my advice would be to spend the extra money and get a pre-built wheelset. I recently bought a set of Mavic rims laced to Pro 2 hubs, with comp spokes and pro-lock nipples + rim tape, and it cost me less than $450, and so far I haven't needed to true it (though I will be taking them wheels into my LBS to be re-tightened, as it is highly recommended).

On the topic of tyres, I'll just repeat what I've said in a previous thread:

Tyres/ Tubes: Rotational weight makes a huge difference to how you bike handles. Whilst the hubs are far from lightweight, the stock rims are light enough to avoid having te replace the wheelset. Holy Rollers are overkill for the kind of bike you're looking for. Instead, I'd go for one of the following:

Kenda Combo: A Kenda NPJ Sig rear tyre, matched with a Small Block 8 front. The NPJ is nice and light, with minimal rolling resistance. The SB8 is quite a grippy 4X/ DJ tyre with a minimal weight penalty. From memory the weights are ~620g and ~680 respectively, as compared to a Holy Roller I think is almost a kilo.

Schwalbe Table Top: The TT is a very lightweight tyre with slightly less tread than a SB8 but a little more than an NPJ. The sidewalls are quite thin and the tyre profile is smaller than a Holy Roller, but it offers reasonable grip at ~580g.

There's a few other options around but these are the more popular ones. Whichever ones you go for, make sure you run lightweight tubes. DH tubes are overkill on the type of bike you want, and will make the bike feel heavy and sluggish, particularly in the air. Maxxis Welterweights are ~170g, and when inflated to the correct pressure should be resistant to pinch flats.

Barspin Imports

Likes Dirt
Schwalbe Table Tops get our vote! They also have a thinner (relative) profile than the Holy Rollers, so you can slam your rear wheel further in the rear triangle. :p

Dante666

Likes Dirt
dirt jumps and the odd trail ride
Small block 8 then. nice and first for the jumps but still grippy enough for the trails.

as for wheelsets. try one of CRC's halo spin doctor wheel builds or hope pro 2 if you have the money.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Kenda Suprise:D
Not the case. I ran a 2.35 SB8 on the front for a while, had great grip in hardpack and dirt, decent in gravel. Sh*ts all over Holy Rollers/ K-Rads/ Dirt Reapers/ NPJs etc. grip wise, and still has a reasonably low weight.

Dale, I'd recommend you run a 2.35" SB8 (folding bead) on the front, and match it with something more slick on the back. An NPJ sig, FS100 or table top would all be great for this. Personally, I'd go for the NPJ, as AFAIK the sidewalls are thicker than Table Tops, meaning you have less chance of pinch flats.

Whatever tyre combo you go for, make sure you match them with lightweight tubes. As I've said, DH tubes are overkill unless you're running low pressures (which you shouldn't be - I'd got for between 50-60psi rear and 45-55psi front), and they weigh over 450g. You can easily get away with ~180g tubes, and I've managed to run sub 120g ones without pinch flatting.